What Is This?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by marty4, Oct 8, 2017.

1. marty4

marty4 New Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Hi.
    New here to the forum.
    Triumph item 2.JPG Triumph item 1.JPG
    This may be a dumb question.
    Can someone please tell me what this item is on my 2016 Thruxton air cooled 900?
    I assume a part of the emissions equipment. It is located in front of the rear tire at the bottom of the frame. It had three hoses going into it.
    Interestingly, it says Honda on it. I was mounting a centerstand and I had to remove the cable ties holding it in place to move it a bit to clear the U-bracket that goes from the frame to the spring to the centerstand.
    I just thought I would see if the bike started without it and it seemed to run fine. I did not plug the hoses. Can I run the bike without it? Is it going to create a problem? Should I plug the hoses?
    Thank you in advance.
    Marty

2. marty4

marty4 New Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Bought it brand new from a Triumph dealer in Massachusetts.

3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    It's an evap system, U.K. Bikes don't have them but all USA bikes have them as it's California spec. Have a look here for a thread about it

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. marty4

marty4 New Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Hi Crispey.
    Thanks for the thread but I still wondering can I just remove the hoses or should I plug them?

5. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Here's another thread.
    I'm sure there's quite a few more, removing them doesn't seem to be a problem. Depends on how tidy you want it looking down there

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Have we had a change of subject here ? :eek::eek::eek: Please don't mention anal bleaching :mask::mask::mask::mask::mask::mask:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  7. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    In the US that is a charcoal canister that is part of the emissions system. Fuel vapors are captured and cleansed and reburned into the motor. You can plug it off and it won’t hurt anything. And before anyone says that’s irresponsible a bikes emissions in nothing compared to trucks and industry.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1