What Is This Thing Called, Love?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by covid-21, Aug 23, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. covid-21

covid-21 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2020
    QLD Australia
    I'm sure this has been answered many times already however I don't know how to search for it, I tried searching for that bolt near the gear shift lever. So there's a bolt that is missing on my bike, however when I look in the hole with a torch it doesn't go anywhere it's just a bolt hole. It's not mentioned in the owners manual, that I can find anyway.

IMG_0609.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    What kind of motorcycle?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    • Like Like x 1
  4. covid-21

Jul 30, 2020
    QLD Australia
    It's a Street Twin. Yes Part 10 is a bolt, I can see that's missing but it's just a bolt plugging a blind hole!! Why. What is the purpose, maybe there's some sort of factory sensor that can be screwed in?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    I think it is to keep that threaded hole blocked off.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    I’ll have to look at mine honestly, I’ve not noticed

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    I've a couple of them (or not..) on the speed triple rs engine also.
    A bit weird.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    No part 10 is a PLUG to plug the hole, Ours is not to reason why, the manufacture has decreed that a plug should go there, it may be of use on another model but has no detrimental effect on your bike so simply plug it and ride, speak to your local Triumph dealer things like that on other machines where like level plugs for oil or as you say some sort of sensor but the parts list kindly shown by @Callumity simply show's a PLUG

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

#9 MartyWilson, Aug 23, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2020
    Actually came across someone wanting to know what that bolt was for on the Thruxton facebook page as it was missing from their brand new Thruxton. A few folks commented that it was a common problem for it to go missing and that it's 'blind'. It also mentions that in some casings it's a plastic 'dummy' bolt and in one comment a fellow says it was intended for access to adjust the rear balancer shaft. Take your pick from that but the consensus anyway is that it's purely cosmetic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. covid-21

Jul 30, 2020
    QLD Australia
    @Marty. OK, I'm going to replace the plastic 'dummy' bolt with a real round headed bolt, I shall customise it with some hi temp black ceramic paint that I have hanging around, my Street Twin, will thusly stand out as something truly unique, a reflection of my 'rebel without a clue' attitude.

I am reminded of Smallcreep's Day, by Peter Currell Brown, which everyone must read at some point in life. A fantastical story of a worker who makes a part in a factory where his father has also worked all his life. Neither of them know what the factory makes and one day he sets off on a journey of discovery with a packed lunch, to discover a surreal conglomeration of madness. I can imagine there is a department in the Triumph factory where workers machine the blind hole with care and precision, and there are probably a battery of farm animals like hens with laser guided reinforced beaks to effect this...

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

Quick! @covid-21 has sussed out the secret operations at the Triumph factory. He must be asked to be quiet about it or he will make the manager cry.

To be honest though folks all toiling away doing pointless jobs in a surreal conglomeration of madness pretty much sums up life on Earth!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. covid-21

Jul 30, 2020
    QLD Australia
    So true, which is why we ride motorbikes.

Just had to get a roadworthy and the mechanic thought he spied another hex bolt in there and proffered that it may be part of the clutch adjustment?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Peter B

Peter B Active Member

May 24, 2020
    West Yorkshire
    You can find lots of these threaded holes in machinery. They are mounting holes for frames / machinery used during manufacture. They are usually placed so that they can be utilised to hold components further down the assembly line. Some cannot be used for that and end up with a bolt or grub screw to hide them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    You learn something new every day on this forum :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. covid-21

Jul 30, 2020
    QLD Australia
    @Peter B, so is that definite that it's nothing to do with the clutch?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

@covid-21 I have found the answer! (and I don't even own a 1200 powered trumpet) It is indeed a cover for access to an allen bolt which allows you to adjust the rear balancer dead shaft. You can see it here http://thruxton.sobell.net/ then go to the index and select balancer- balancer shafts dynamic adjustment

• Like Like x 3
  17. Riggers

Riggers Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2020
    Hull
    If there's a hole in the casing someone should look into it.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Send for Plug

3F9D9A3D-0B2C-4C1D-9AA7-72F8B186FE9F.jpeg

The Bash Street Kids won’t miss him......

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Peter B

Peter B Active Member

May 24, 2020
    West Yorkshire
    A lot of them are for machines to be able to manipulate / hold castings during manufacture. If they are designed properly they are utilised for other purposes further along during the build, looks like this is being used to access an adjustment screw, can you see the adjuster inside it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

If you follow the link I posted above and then go to balancer/balancer shafts dynamic adjustment and scroll down you will see the layout. The Rear Balancer shaft protrudes (with sealing rings) into a pocket in the left engine cover which is covered with the 'bolt' in question which is described as the 'clutch cover plug'. You undo a locking screw on the other end of the shaft which is found hidden down inside the right hand side of the engine below the oil filler cap and then adjust the adjuster screw hidden under the 'Clutch cover plug' to adjust the rear balancer shaft.

• Like Like x 3