What if you have an incident and have non-standard pipes.

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Englishman, Nov 9, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Englishman

Englishman Member

Nov 9, 2013
    Just bought a Triumph cruiser with "accessory" pipes (also came with standard ones)

I know most dealers even have them fitted to demo bikes and the law normally leave them alone, especially on a cruiser but here are my questions oh forum members.

1, Are you obliged to tell an insurer if you have a loud or non-standard pipe and if you say no, does this invalidate insurance.?
    2, if you are involved in an incident and you have declared you have standard pipes, are you screwed?

Cheers folks

Al

2. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    #2 P19DJG, Nov 9, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
    Theoretically even changing the bar ends or mirrors is classed as a modification as the bike is no longer in "standard" form. However, if you do declare the aftermarket pipes some insurance companies wouldnt charge any extra BUT others are unscrupulous bastards & will take every opportunity to fleece you of a few extra pounds.
    If you are unlucky enough to be involved in an accident with an aftermarket exhaust fitted, i would like to think the insurance companies wouldnt try & wriggle out of coughing up as the exhaust would of made no difference to the circumstances of the accident.
    Personally, say nothing & potentially save a few pounds & if you are unlucky enough to be involved in an accident & they do mention the aftermarket exhausts, plead ignorance, they were on it when you got the bike & was lead to believe the bike was standard.
    If the exhausts got damaged in an accident they would probably pay out on the cost of standard exhausts & replace them accordingly.

Oh & welcome to the Triumph cruiser fraternity View attachment 2160 . Make sure you post up some pictures of your new purchase.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Hi and welcome to the forum, if you have it insured as standard you could give your insurance company a ring and ask them the what if question; if it's only a few quid more then declare them then there's no chance of them squirming out of a possible claim.

Just beware that if it is only a few quid more, many insurance companies will charge an unrealistic admin fee to add the pipes.... barstards!

4. SteveJ

SteveJ Super Moderator

Aug 12, 2013
    North Hampshire
    Ok if the Accessory pipe is a Triumph one then it is an approved part that you do not have do declare to the insurance company (which also pertains to the Arrow Pipes on the speed triples)
    If however it is an Beowulf or the like that is not a Triumph approved part then you would have to declare it.

Even crash bungs need to be declared although most insurance companies will be ok ... some will not

5. chrispy

chrispy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    Salisbury,wiltshire
    Welcome to the forum, i've always found that the more you tell um the more they charge but its how you feel about it ,good to have another cruiser what bike do you have

6. P19DJG

P19DJG Banned

Mar 16, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  7. chrispy

chrispy Well-Known Member

May 1, 2013
    Salisbury,wiltshire
    oh yea deerrrrr thanks pig just read the other post...... just noticing :rolleyes:

8. Englishman

Englishman Member

Nov 9, 2013
    Thanks for the input chaps, most informative. I've never done the aftermarket pipe caper before so its a new field for me.
    It came with the original's as well which were removed by the dealer before it was delivered to the original owner.

You guys are really sharp, you are spot on, its a 12 MY America in blue and white and is a thing of beauty.

I recon ill get round to posting a pic soon.

Al

9. mr.h

mr.h Senior Member

May 29, 2013
    Lincolnshire
    Tell the insurance company all the mods - they soon get fed up of typing the 'extras', but most policies only repair to a 'standard' state. I told mine about all the bits and for the £40 odd quid admin fee bugger all was listed when it came through... :frown:

10. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Can not be talking about members of this forum:eek:

11. brybrem

brybrem Senior Member

Mar 8, 2013
    North Wales
    Doo wun yoo nob - weer oll reelee brite on thiz pho-rum!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Scouser

Scouser Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Wirral UK
    I am insured with MCE and told them I was fitting a Scorpion Can to my ST3. they said 'fine' no issues and sent me am amended policy scedule and no extra premium-result I'd say

Also Scorpion have a replacement free deal if you dump it and damage it and you were the original purchaser of the can-great all round

• Like Like x 2