What Have You Being Doing With Your Non-triumph Today?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by MrOrange, Sep 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    This morning I rode my Low Rider S over to Le Buzz, a great coffee house/restaurant that is a haven for motorcyclists and bicyclists. There I met up with a friend whom I've known for nearly 30 years through the cycling community. She and I were on the same bicycle racing team for over ten years--but those racing years are well in the past for both of us. Since those days, we've run into each other now and again (Tucson is the smallest big town I know) but mostly fell out of touch with one another. Well, I heard through the grapevine that she was interested in starting to ride motorcycles and she connected with me to meet for happy hour to talk bikes. Long story short, she took and passed the MSF Beginning Riders Course and now has about 500 miles on her 2021 Honda Rebel 300 which she got for a song with only 1K on the clock.

We finally found a day that worked for us to meet over coffee and perhaps do a bit of a ride afterwards. It was great fun to learn about her experiences this far and talk about gear and all those motorcycle "firsts" that we all remember, like first ride on the freeway, first ride at night, first ride in the rain..... Well, it turns out that today was her first time riding with another rider. And I was it! She had thought it through and asked if I might be willing to ride back to her house with her as it was a route she was very familiar with from both cycling it and riding her motorcycle on it. It was also great fun to feel her excitement and reminded me in many ways of how I felt when I first started riding a motorcycle. :grinning:
    Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 11.17.03 PM.png

IMG_3255.jpeg

It was an absolutely gorgeous day for both a little motorcycle ride and to sit outdoors with a cup of coffee and good conversation.
    IMG_3247.PNG

IMG_3250.jpeg

Le Buzz is also very pet friendly and today we got to meet Iris, a six-month old pig. She was adorable and actually wagged her tail! Her canine buddy, Felix, was cute, too. But it was Iris who stole the show. :heart_eyes:
    IMG_3235.jpeg

IMG_3238.jpeg

I'd never seen my friend's house so she gave me the full tour when we arrived. It's a great house with fantastic views from both front and back. But my favorite part of all is that she has her 2015 Indian Scout parked in the family room. :grinning::joy: She bought this bike before she even took the MSF class. A friend of hers had it up for sale and it was love at first sight. Now she's practicing and putting in the miles on the Rebel in anticipation of being ready and able to ride her Scout.
    IMG_3264.jpeg

• Like Like x 17
  2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    That's great, it sounds like she has definitely got the bug! i bet she ignores the tv at night and just looks at her new bike :cool::)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ramon

ramon New Member

Aug 28, 2021
    rochester
    i think it means 'direct access' course. i had to look it up! but what do i know?? i took the single-part test in mid eighties. fair play to anyone, like mrs visor, trying to get a bike licence these days it's A TASK for sure

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

#1504 Golgotha, Oct 15, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2021
    I got my motorcycle endorsement at 15 yrs old when I got my FL learner’s permit. All I had to say was “I’d like to have a motorcycle endorsement.” That’s it.

A58C7E32-815A-45C5-B7E3-E52032FB48A7.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 4
    • WTF WTF x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Yikes! That's amazing. :eek: And rather frightening, actually. :scream: Nothing against you personally, @Golgotha. :joy:

I don't know what the rules used to be in Arizona, but currently you don't have to take any sort of class. But you do need to take a written and driving test and pass both to get an endorsement. If you take it at the Department of Motor Vehicles and you provide the bike. The great thing about getting one's endorsement through the MSF course is that they provide the bikes--all of which are around 250cc's and are small and lightweight--and that you take the written and driving tests as part of the course. When (or if) you pass both, you get a certificate to that effect that you bring to the Department of Motor Vehicles (no bike needed) and after a super basic vision "exam", a motorcycle endorsement is added to your current license. And proof of passing the MSF class also provides a motorcycle insurance discount with most carriers. Our local Harley dealership was also allowing a credit of sorts to get protective gear. If your course cost you, say, $200, you could show a receipt and get $200 towards a riding jacket, helmet, boots, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Golgotha

Golgotha Guest

#1506 Golgotha, Oct 15, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2021
    No class needed in NC. Just a written and a road test. No idea what the deal is back in FL other than you have to pass a written and road test there now too. Our local HD dealership- Tobacco Road HD(a den of absolute scumbags, btw), have an outside contractor who gives 2 day classes for motorcycle prep. If you pass his class you don’t have to take the NCDMV road test, which makes you do WAY more shit than you really need to know to operate. I know 2 people who failed it. His road curriculum is very difficult as well, but he gives you more 2nd chances to pass each individual maneuver than his bureaucratic counterparts. He charges 2 or 3 C’s and he supplies the bikes. I put the Mrs through it. Money well spent.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    #1507 Mrs Visor, Oct 15, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    Direct Access Scheme @Sandi T - where people aged 24 and over can directly get their full unrestricted motorcyle licence in the UK - we have a graduated system.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Today was also a good day in the main; slow speed stuff has come on well BUT I did have an off on the road clipping a kerb as I lost control a bit (lot!!) after I went over a pothole on a roundabout and had a wobble, flapped a bit and ran wide. IF I had looked up the exit road I could have saved it - wide, messy, but on the bike. However I thought "don't look at the kerb" and....well, it's obvious how I ended up sat on the pavement with the poor bike on it's side. Nothing hurt bar my pride - picked up the bike, rode back to the (thankfully close) training centre, the instructor restored the gear lever to it's correct shape :p and back out we went. It was really, really embarrassing but certainly taught me quite a few lessons - there were several opportunities for me to have not ended up in that situation (if there was the option of an embarrassed face emoji I would have put lots in this post!!!!).

My Mod 1 is on Tuesday - today I found out that examiners are going on strike on Tuesday :(. Apparently not all examiners at the test centre we use usually go on strike so there is the possibility I may still get a test - I really, really hope so after having worked so hard and waited so long. I won't find out until Tuesday; I have to go there for the test appointment anyway to find out - so I may end up driving for an hour and a half to the bike training school, then going to the test centre and then having it cancelled so going back to the training school and back home again. If I get a test and when (trying to harness the power of positive thinking!!!) I pass there is then the question of whether I'll be able to get a Mod 2 or not. BUT I am trying not to let any of that play on my mind and am telling myself there WILL be a test. Fingers crossed!!!

• Like Like x 7
  9. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hoping the stars align for you @Mrs Visor. :cool: Best wishes on your test :party:

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I hope your next report here is a positive one, @Mrs Visor, and that you get to take---and pass--your Tuesday test. It sounds like today was a bit rocky but that you came back strongly. I'm glad that nothing but some pride was hurt and that you looked for positives from your experience and learned lessons from your mistakes. Way to go to shake yourself off, get back in the saddle, and get back out there. :):kissing_heart: Sending best wishes and good vibes your way!

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #1511 Sandi T, Oct 16, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    A couple of weeks ago I hopped on my Speed Triple and went off to run a few errands and prove the old adage that going nearly anyplace is an adventure if you're on a motorcycle. :grinning: Today I decided to do the same thing. The weather was perfect :sun::cool: and I was off work for fall break. Nothing too exciting but my errands were certainly more fun buzzing around town on my Triumph.

First stop, Sew Perfectly, an alterations and tailoring shop where I take garments to be repaired. They do sew perfectly, too! Today I was picking up my Harley-Davidson mesh riding jacket which needed to be stitched up along the neck near the front zipper. As usual, they did a perfect job. :) I popped the tailpiece back on my Speed Triple that has a tail bag attached to it. This is about the time I usually put the tail bag on so I can stow a jacket liner, warm(er) gloves, scarf, stocking cap, etc. My repaired riding jacket fit in there nicely.
    IMG_3292.jpeg

My second stop was our neighborhood QuikTrip gas station to fill my tank. I didn't even notice how much gas cost. But I DID notice my odometer reading! My bike had just turned over to 6,000 miles. I've not put very many miles on this bike since I purchased it new in November of 2018. Divvying up my miles among three bikes plus not riding at all for 7-8 months last year after my bicycle crash have definitely helped to keep the miles down on this bike. Those two things along with the fact that I typically ride Speedy on shorter trips relatively close to home.
    IMG_3294.jpeg

My third stop was at my bank to deposit a check. No photos of the bank so you'll just have to believe me. :joy: There was a security guard stationed near the ATM machines and I thought he'd seem it a bit suspicious if I were to start snapping photos of the bank. :rolleyes:

My final destination was Arizona Kawasaki--KTM--Triumph so schedule a minor maintenance appointment. Yes, I could have done that by phone but I just like swinging by the dealerships now and again to say hi to the staff and to see what new goodies they might have. :heart_eyes:
    IMG_3304.jpeg

This one caught my eye, a 2022 Speedmaster. They had one two weeks ago when I was there but already sold that one. The number of Triumphs they had on the showroom floor was way down. The salesman told me that Triumph just recently started adding a $375 fee on new bikes. Supply chain issues he said.
    IMG_3310.jpeg

The popcorn machine at AZ--KKT was fired up again so I helped myself to a bag. It's the first time in well over a year and a half that there's been popcorn in that machine.. I don't think they've resumed "Donut Saturdays" however. :worried:

IMG_3313.jpeg

Shortly after I arrived home and tucked Speedy in the garage I took a look at the current weather. The app report looked as good as the day felt!
    IMG_3316.PNG

EDIT: Doh......yeah, I just posted what I did with my TRIUMPH in the what I did with my NON-Triumph thread. Sheesh. Not the first time I've done that, I'm afraid. Maybe if I post in the morning with a cup of coffee in my hand?

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
  12. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Some more spam from me.....

A really, really good day today on the Gladius; lots of town and dual carriageway riding which went very well, followed by a nice long - ish twisty country road route which was a nice ride and really helped my cornering technique.

This afternoon we went onto the test pad and did lots of controlled stops, emergency stops and hazard avoidance. All good and had lots of fun.

Final day's training tomorrow, followed by a rest day then test on Tuesday....and... the examiners' strike has been called off which is brilliant news :grinning:.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. DCS900

DCS900 Careful, man! There’s a beverage here!

Sep 11, 2021
    LA
    I’ve been stripping the Yamaha…

D242D749-5D33-4E12-9AEB-9B3CF57CE56A.jpeg

2AA757BB-BA72-4CF3-AFA8-49B4029BA419.jpeg

FE6653AE-8F3D-4FB4-A9FB-123F90D990FF.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Greywolf55

Greywolf55 Noble Member

Oct 4, 2019
    Duluth ,Ga
    Passed 4000 miles on my '21 Ducati Supersport 950 S . It's been a fun season.

Bella Rossa.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  15. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Beautiful bike.
    I Actually prefer them to the v4's. More "real world rider"? imho.
    Lucky chap

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Final day of my DAS course today on the Suzuki; it was pouring with rain when I woke up and got to the training school - but I was pleased as we had time on the test pad and I haven't had to emergency brake / swerve in the wet so thought it would eliminate any anxieties about that. I had a strange gremlin with the u - turn, which hadn't been an issue up until now - put a foot down then couldn't do it at all even with about six attempts; did everything else fine. Had a break, came back to the u - turn and they weren't an issue at all again - I did loads on both sides of the circuit to prove to myself they were easy if you relax and then a final couple at the end again to be sure. All the other exercises went well although I was a bit exuberant through the speed trap for one of the emergency breaking practises - it would have been a pass apparently but with a minor and a talking to about my speed!! Hopefully that's the weird u - turn wobble out of my system now!!

This afternoon we did some road riding which went really, really well - so overall I am happy :).

• Like Like x 14
  17. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Good luck :):)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  18. ramon

ramon New Member

Aug 28, 2021
    rochester
    same here. mid-eighties the first two-part test came in ??

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Sounds like things are going very well for you, @Mrs Visor. That's great! :grinning: It must have been confidence-inspiring to successfully complete some of those exercises in the rain. I laughed when I read that you got a "talking to" about your speed. ;):joy:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Today Mr. Sandi and I rode with a couple with whom we've been friends for about ten years now. We'd typically have done our "usual" Sunday morning group ride but our friends checked with us earlier in the week to see if it would work for the four of us to ride on Sunday. With their schedules, it's a fairly rare occurrence to be able to ride with them so we jumped at the opportunity.

Roe has been a Harley guy for years and has a Panhead, a Shovelhead, and also an old school custom trike that he and his dad built together. He worked for Tucson Harley for years (a new job these days). And his wife, Shelly, has an older Softail with a pink flames paint job. :eek: So imagine our surprise when they texted us a couple of weeks ago with a photo of their new.....BMW F850 GS! They've only had it for a little over a week and have already put 1500 miles on it. And so far they love it. :)

So Mr. Sandi and I met up with Roe and Shelly and off we went to for a Mexican brunch up the road in Mammoth, AZ at Mi Pueblito, a place I've posted photos of previously. Round trip the ride is just under 100 miles. The weather was beautiful--a bit of cloud cover and temperatures in the 80'sºF. And we didn't meet up until 11:00am, providing Mr. Sandi and me the rare opportunity to relax and read the Sunday paper with a cup of coffee before getting the bikes out of the garage. I chose to ride my Street Glide Special today as I've not been on it for a couple of weeks since we returned from our trip up to Las Vegas.

Mr. Sandi's Street Glide, my bike, and our friends BMW. That's them sitting at the table on the patio on the right side of the photo. The place we're parked is designated "Motorcycle Parking Only". :)
    IMG_3592.jpeg

IMG_3593.jpeg
    My breakfast...."#114" on the menu. A green corn tamale with two eggs over medium and refried beans. After the snapped the pic I doctored the eggs up with some red salsa and some guacamole. Roe had a carnitas (pork) burrito served "enchilada style". Shelly had an omelet and Mr. Sandi had a burger and fries. Didn't figure those two things needed a visual. ;):joy:
    IMG_3594.jpeg

IMG_3595.jpeg

Roe and Shelly wanted to meet Ellie the Boxer so they swung by our place on their way home. All five of us hung out in the back yard for another hour before they hit the road for home. It's so nice that the temperatures have cooled enough that we can actually sit outdoors in the middle of the afternoon now! :grinning:
    IMG_3596 2.jpeg

• Like Like x 8