What Have You Being Doing With Your Non-triumph Today?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by MrOrange, Sep 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    BLM!! Bikers Lives Matter! :cool:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    and yet the Historic vehicle status means you don't need to do a MOT anymore but your vehicle must roadworthy. So when Dougal gets to 40 DD you can save yourself a few quid every year. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    The only vehicle I had that qualified was my 1979 CB550 which I've just sold. :oops:I have the same issue with my VFR800, its 22 years old but I doubt I'll be around in 18 years to take advantage of the Historic status whether they ban fossil fuel vehicles before then or not. :p

• Like Like x 3
  4. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    No inspections are required in Arizona--at least not that I know of! ;) I truly can't even remember the last time I drove a vehicle that required an emissions test for annual registration. The only inspections that happen are those folks do on our own or when we bring vehicles in for service at regular maintenance intervals.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    Not today, but Saturday.

Detailed Clyde getting ready for our trip next weekend to Fort Davis, TX. We plan a ride through Marfa, Presidio, down river road along the Rio Grande, through Terlingua, and back up to Fort Davis through Alpine. It's a ride we've done before and we loved it but it's been a few years so we're excited to do it again. Of course I also did safety checks, i.e. air in tires, etc.

Poor Bonnie was ignored that day, but I'll make it up to her. :)

Please pay no mind to the condition of my garage -I am not an organized person, much to the chagrin of Mrs. JtC. o_O

Bath.jpg

Bath2.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  6. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Enjoy your trip, mate. That's what it's all about.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    That sounds like a great trip, JtC! Have fun and I look forward to some pics and stories. :):cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    I will try my best, Sandi. I will guarantee the report will not be as good as yours are, so keep expectations low, please. :)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. MEM62

MEM62 Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2020
    Basingstoke, Hampshire
    Not much, it’s pretty much sorted.

C852373F-6132-4B36-AC75-CC59560561B1.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  10. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I know I will enjoy whatever photos and stories you care to share, @JtC! Your best will most certainly be more than fine. Your best will most certainly be more than fine. :):kissing_heart: Most of all, have fun! :grinning:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    I appreciate that, Sandi! We will have fun!

• Like Like x 3
  12. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    @JtC, I have been meaning to ask you how your daughter is doing with her new riding career!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    She is getting along well, thanks for asking. Some friends took her out for a ride/instruction just to get her some highway experience and her neighbor rides a Harley and is riding with her as well -giving her lots of tips and support/encouragement.

Of course she has dropped the bike a couple of times at or near standstill so no damage other than a broken mirror -well worth the lessons that were learned. I told her that is what first bikes are for. She has a great attitude and is still excited about it. I told her there will be a point when she stops thinking about it and just does it naturally.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    That's a tidy looking Bandit, sir!

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Have a good trip @JtC and lets see some pic's most of all take care

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks for the update on your daughter, JtC! I'm glad that she has some friends to ride with and who mentor and encourage her. Glad too that she's seen that she can drop that first bike (thankfully) and that it can turn out ok. The key really is that she has that great attitude and excitement. And a dad who will talk with her about all of it. :) Yes, she will eventually do those things naturally that she now has to think so hard about. It will all "gel". I'm excited for her--and I've never even met her! :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Love You Love You x 1
  17. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Took advantage of the sunny but cool weather with a run out around Littleborough, Hebden Bridge and Ripponden on Kwacker. Done about 500 miles now so getting run in and she goes in for the first service Tuesday morning.

kwacker 003.jpg kwacker 005.jpg kwacker 006.jpg

• Like Like x 15
  18. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    After putting over 3k miles on the SS over the last 3 months I thought I'd give the Z an airing today. It felt really strange, high pegs, semi race crouch, weight on the wrists etc, dare I say a bit of a pain compared to the laid back easy riding style of the SS. Until I opened the throttle that is. :) I wonder what a 200bhp Scrambler would be like?

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Nice one Andy, bike looks great in the sunshine :)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    #660 JtC, Sep 29, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    We spent the weekend riding around South Texas and along the Rio Grande on our Goldwing, Clyde . . .

We rode about 4 hours Friday to get to our hotel in Alpine, Texas. A lot of the ride was pretty desolate, but there was some good scenery and twisty/hilly roads once we got near Texas. This is a rest area near the Guadalupe Mountains looking northwest at El Capitan –the tall peak in the distance.
    ElCapitan.jpg
    ClydeR.jpg
    We saw a heard of deer when we stopped for food and fuel in Van Horn, Texas. I’ll bet that is some tough venison!
    Deer.jpg

Once we got to our hotel, we walked across the parking lot for dinner at an old fashioned 50’s style diner. The food was home style delicious, the people were friendly and the “masks required” sign was just to keep the insurance company happy.
    Diner.jpg

Saturday we started our approximately 240 mile loop down to Terlingua, Study Butte, Presidio, Marfa (of the famous “Marfa Lights” which I think are headlights of Border Patrol vehicles), and back to Alpine. Fun fact: While a lot of people view Texas as “flat”, there are 100 peaks in Texas that are over a mile high.

One is called “Elephant Mountain”. There’s also one called “Lincoln’s Profile” we screwed the pooch on getting a photo of, but trust me, it is a perfect profile of Honest Abe!
    (There are supposed to be photos here but I emailed to myself twice and they are lost in cyberspace.)

Here’s some photos of the Rio Grande –The great Republic of Texas on one side, Mexico on the other.
    Rio Grande.jpg
    RioGrande3.jpg

They get creative with the rest areas along highway 170 (river road) along the Rio Grande. The scenery is beautiful and the road is challenging and fun with many switchbacks and blind hills that are pretty scary because you know the road isn’t strait on the other side but you don’t know which way it’s turning! There’s even a 15% grade –with curves throughout. The last time we did this ride we went up, no biggie, this time we were heading east to west and went down it. Wow! What a ride. I managed to scrape the pegs on the Goldwing a few times and got a lot of practice trail braking.
    Scenery.jpg
    Teepee.jpg
    RioGrandeRest.jpg
    We stopped in Presidio for lunch and had some of the most tender and juicy brisket I’ve ever eaten –and that is saying a lot sense I was born and raised in Texas where brisket is king. I think I’d ride four hours for that any time. There was a neat little garden area where we sat and ate the delicious brisket –I think it was called St. Mary’s.
    Garden1.jpg

• Like Like x 21