What Have You Being Doing With Your Non-triumph Today?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by MrOrange, Sep 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Slow reply to your post, @Mrs Visor. Sigh. It would be great if you and Helmut made it to Arizona. Mr. Sandi and I would love to take you out and about to see our "cactus forests" and mountains and all the things I love about the Sonoran Desert. And there's already a lot of heat for you to soak up. Daytime temps are now regularly in the high 90ºsF.

Yes, it was disappointing that there wasn't a women's ride but I've about given up on a women's group getting going. But I'm not too terribly disappointed as I have great riding buddies in my hubby and in my men friends. And, like you, I'm somewhat "selectively sociable" (what a great term). Also like you, I don't want to ride--or drive, for that matter--around all the crazies on the roads these days. I do have to say, I'd really love to ride with you, though, Mrs V! :):heart:

• Like Like x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. Stephen Martin

Stephen Martin Senior Member

Aug 31, 2020
    Isle of Wight
    Slowly getting the AJS engine back together
    20230520_174132.jpg 20230520_174109.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  3. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    #2543 Baza, May 31, 2023
    Last edited: May 31, 2023
    Very nice, lots of shiney. :cool:

Dad had a 500cc AJS and I vaguely remember being appointed torch holder whilst he removed the sprung hub rear end and replaced it with the back half of a Matchless with those overly large jam pots!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    I commuted on the 'Blade today. Was having a fabulous ride on the way there having got past the little traffic there was on dry roads with sweeping bends. I had checked the forecast for home and work and there was 10% chance of rain during the night tonight, nothing for the day :sun:. Then I got to about halfway and a very large hill and noticed that the cars coming towards me were just switching off their wipers. I wasn't too bothered as it's often a bit damp and drizzly at the top of the hill and OK again the other side....however I got to the top of the hill where it was indeed raining, had a good look at the skies in front of me....which looked blacker and blacker the further in the direction of work they were. So the second half of my journey was completed in torrential rain, which stopped pretty much the instant I switched off the engine when I got to work. Nothing I was wearing was waterproof so I was soaked to the skin :laughing:.

Nice ride back, even if it was in still - damp kit :).

I swear the Blade does some sort of rain dance, I have only had the odd completely dry trip on it so far :laughing:.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    I can empathise with you. Riding in heavy rain is definitely not good. On the return from a long weekend in Luxembourg it started to rain before we got to the Chunnel and thereafter continued in true biblical fashion all the way home. If it wasn’t for my son riding pillion plying me with that drink that gives you wings I don’t think we would have made it, all in the dark as well. Despite all the proper wet weather kit the rain got everywhere except for my feet. It even stopped the oil temperature gauge working. Daytona boots are absolutely brilliant. So exhausted when we got home that it took me over a half hour to get my kit off.

• Like Like x 6
  7. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    I think you took the „rain running baton“ from me.:joy:;)

• Funny Funny x 4
  8. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    I did think of you @Markus when it happened :laughing:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #2549 Sandi T, Jun 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2023
    Wow, that ride sounds epic, @Baza! "Epic" as in hellacious, that is. Well, it's definitely one that becomes a yardstick by which to measure other challenging rides and it can be a great story, too. Gotta be some perks to a ride like that.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    Most definitely. Before the rain dampened our enthusiasm good weather, some challenging roads (but no potholes), superb company, excellent accommodation and food. We overnighted in Brussels on the way there but the return leg was one 400 mile bash, rain and all. As you can see, a goodly while ago.

WP_001185.jpeg IMG_4944.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  11. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    :):):):):kissing_heart:

• Like Like x 1
  12. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    Cleaning them all this morning. I wish the weather would perk up a bit here on the East Coast, its been relatively cool and cloudy here for several days now. 20230607_110807.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  13. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Worked out how to set the shift light on my Blade. I have never seen it on - not surprised as it was set towards the top of the redline. I'd be halfway to the moon and well beyond my skill set at that. Maybe one day on a track.....

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    Evotech tail tidy has just arrived for the Street Triple. So that’s to fit when time allows.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Not today but last Saturday we rode to a local bike detailer who had organised a suspension set up day with Will from SWB Racing https://swbracing.com/. He had just come back from the TT where he had been working with a couple of riders. Mrs Visor had already had her Street Triple done at his workshop in Ebbw Vale and he had transformed it.

We got there just before 9 and were already 4th in the queue (it opened at 9). His general method of working is to establish how long you've had the bike, how many miles you've done on it in that time, take the piss (tyres, mileage, cleanliness etc) but in a very friendly way, find out what you have noticed about its handling (maybe nothing), check everything over (sag, damping, preload etc) showing you why you are feeling what you said you are feeling, set everything up correctly whilst explaining what he's doing and why, make sure it's balanced then send you for a 20 minute or so ride to check. When you return he'll speak to you about what differences you felt, were the changes for the better, anything you need to change (the gift of the man is generally you don't) then pay your £60 when satisfied.

In my case I had taken the Tuono Factory which has fully adjustable Ohlins suspension. Mrs Visor had noticed while out for our Devon trip that the front dived on any front braking (I generally use engine braking but motorways required a bit more due to erratic car drivers over the Bank Holiday) and I felt the back end was a bit of a harsh ride. He looked it all over and showed just how slow the rebound was which was causing that harshness and adjusted the front forks. Once he had made all the adjustments it was off for my ride.

Wow, what a difference. The ride was a revelation, exactly as the Tuono should be set up to make it the hooligan it really is.

All I can say is that if you want to spend any money on your bike you will not spend a better £60 than getting a professional suspension set up done and from my point of view if you are within 150 miles of South Wales then Will is your man :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  16. johne

Jan 16, 2020
    I took the NS400 out to our local biker watering hole yesterday, a round trip of around 50 miles depending on which route I take, The bike performed faultlessly on the run itself. Its great fun to ride the old stroker. After a 20 minute stop for a sausage roll and a cuppa, she wouldn't start. Of course its kick start only and after a minute or so kicking away with helmet and jacket on I'd built up quite a sweat. Other guys generously offer to push, but frankly there's nowhere to get hold of the bike at the rear without doing possible damage to the under seat plastics so I left it another 5 minutes and tried again and off she went. The side stand is quite short and so the bike leans over at quite an angle when parked up. I think the LH carb had flooded, as when the bike did start it was on 2 cylinders for about 20 seconds or so before the 3rd cylinder chimed in. I must remember to switch off the fuel tap, even for a short stop. Great weather for biking though, I'm going to get out as much as possible whilst this warm dry spell holds out. Sorry I forgot to take any pictures.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    Crankshaft seals?

18. johne

Jan 16, 2020
    No, they are virtually brand new, renewed less than 500 miles ago.

19. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    On Sunday we went down to the Ace for breakfast. It was Triumph Day and on display was a new model Street Triple RS and the electric effort.

I quizzed the dealers who brought the bikes about the heated grips on the RS as I liked the controls which are part of the left hand grip. I said that the only thing stopping me put the heated grips on my 21 Striple was the fugly control switch. They insisted I was mistaking an aftermarket product for the OE part.

Absolute sphericals, see part numbers A9638191 for my machine and A9638341 for the new models. The new model part is almost identical to the Ultimateaddons heated grips from the Sports Bike Shop at almost half the price of the OE ones.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Koso Apollo do heated grips with an integrated switch in the left hand grip. Big improvement over the separate control panel on the Oxford grips :cool:

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1