What Have You Being Doing With Your Non-triumph Today?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by MrOrange, Sep 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. surlyone2

surlyone2 Active Member

Mar 29, 2022
    New Zealand
    You must lift a helluva lot of weights .. or have extremely tired arms ? :D

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I'm not a fan of the seat or fairing, either, Dougie. I was aiming more for the '80's Low Rider look and keeping the bike fairly sleek (for a Harley!) and simple.

To answer your number plate question, you can keep your plate when you trade a bike but most of the time people just leave it on the traded bike and get a new one for the new bike. I'm not positive but I don't think it makes a whit of difference in the licensing costs. I probably should check into that as perhaps it has changed.What has changed--in Arizona anyway--is that there are now a number of different styles of plates available for motorcycles. Most have a fundraising aspect to them. Here's an example and this is one I've contemplated paying extra for. I also thought this one might look good my Mustang. The plate is available in regular or small sizes.

Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 3.16.04 PM.png

• Like Like x 2
  3. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    That front "foot rest" is used by lots of Dyna stunt riders, @Helmut Visor. And it became a style for the West Coast Club Bike look...I guess to look badass even if you've never done a stunt in your life. ;):joy: The bags were made by Viking and were definitely nice ones and high quality--but I'd not really want them on that bike. I wasn't a fan of the exhaust, either, and I definitely didn't like the air cleaner and cover. I was glad to see he left on the grips and pegs that I put on along with the black trim rings on the gauges.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Edit: I'm also no to the hand guards. To me those belong on an ADV bike or dirt bike.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    That tube behind the fairing that @Dougie D asked about is a music system! I have to admit that I've never seen one of those on this type / style of bike. Doesn't mean they're not out there but I've seen a LOT of club style Harleys and this was a first.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Yes, I have to say I agree that the bike doesn't appeal to me and from my perspective has become, as you put it, @Johno, something of an "ugly duckling".

Actually he didn't take off the aftermarket mirrors that I put on the bike. But he changed how they're mounted and they are now on the underside of the bars. It's hard to see in this photo but this is where the mirrors are now. They sort of get lost with the hand guards and everything else. In looking at this photo, I can't quite figure out how they're functional. But when I saw them on the bike while I was looking for parts that I'd put on it, I did notice them and it seemed they'd work ok.

Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 3.28.48 PM.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #2087 Sandi T, Apr 28, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
    Aw, come on, @Helmut Visor, I had that seat custom made and ordered the distressed brown band to complement the color of the wheels, the graphics on my air cleaner and the pinstriping around the outside edges of the fender and windscreen graphics and the tank badging. Oh, and a couple of motorcycle jackets I have that are brown or a brown/black combo. ;) There's always method to my madness. :joy:

Other than the seat I'm in full agreement with you. There's not a single modification on the bike that I think is better than what I'd done to it. But of course, I chose what I did to the bike so that totally makes sense. I was really curious about what you guys would think and appreciate your feedback. It does make me feel a bit better and a little less "crotchety" that my first thought when I saw my former bike was "Bleeechh!!!" :eek:

Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 3.38.26 PM.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    You are certainly right, @Wessa. Form follows function plus the bike is now his and I'm sure he loves it and has put as much thought into his mods as I did (well, maybe that's going a little too far). But yes, he now has a very versatile bike on which he can bomb around town, zip up and down Mt. Lemmon, or do some touring and highway cruising. You are ever the gentleman, Steve, looking for the positive. :):heart:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Love it, @LEZ90! Wow! And what a job it sounds like it was. But well worth it in my opinion. I think that heavy metal flake suits the retro '70's style of the bike very well. And I love how the flake colors in the paint pick up the bronze / gold in the grips, pegs, headlight nacelle, and other bits. Very nice! Thanks for sharing the photos. I'll bet it's even more spectacular in person in the sunshine! :sun::heart_eyes:

• Like Like x 3
  10. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Your to kind:)

• Love You Love You x 1
  11. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Do you want to see my " chopper" darling?

20220429_122031.jpg

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Carl556

Carl556 Senior Member

Nov 13, 2019
    Durham Uk
    Carbon seat cover fitted to my Streetfighter V4S:) upload_2022-4-29_14-42-58.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  13. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Had a good run today with a couple of mates, but about 5 miles from home a pheasant ran out in front of me ,I thought I had just missed it but after looking in my mirror it was unfortunately a goner, hate when that happens :(

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    @Sandi T I agree with everyone else about your former bike - it looked much, much nicer when you owned it; I prefer a sleeker look.

@LEZ90 that paint job is amazing, beautiful work!

• Like Like x 2
  15. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Hope it didn't die a fruitless death and you enjoyed it later. :yum:D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I've always thought of you as a Pheasant plucker Dougie D :p.

I had a similar experience with a Red Legged Partridge a few years back in D&G. I went back to check and it was dead without a mark on it so laid it to rest under a hedge bottom, a potential meal for a foraging predator no doubt.

17. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I didnt but the crows would have had a good supper

18. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #2098 Eldon, Apr 30, 2022
    Last edited: May 1, 2022
    Lucky you didn't hit it full on, last one, hit by me in the car doing 65, cost me £50 for a new front grille. It was deliberating walking up and down the grass verge until the last minute when it flew into my path :confused:
    Surprising how much damage a bird like that can do.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    I think it must have hit the crash bars as there was none of the usual feathers & blood on the bike

• Like Like x 1
  20. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Today our Sunday ride group rode north to the small town of Mammoth, Arizona and had breakfast out on the covered patio at Mi Pueblito, a favorite of ours.
    Screen Shot 2022-05-15 at 1.38.40 PM.png

We chose today's route so that we could send our riding buddy, Russell, off on his solo five day MC trip with a full belly and lots of wishes for a fun and safe ride. When we finished breakfast, Russell began his solo journey north while the rest of us turned around and went home to Tucson. Russell's plan include riding along the south rim of the Grand Canyon, a stop at Vermillion Cliffs National Monument, and a peek into the southeastern corner of Utah. He's been doing a spring solo trip now for years.

There were six of us on the outward bound portion of today's ride and the bikes included a Kawasaki Ninja 400, a 2006 Triumph Thruxton, and three Harley Street Glides. I opted to ride my orange Street Glide Special today. Here's my bike and that black Street Glide is Russell's. He has his touring setup on there--a Tourpak and his touring seat and backrest
    IMG_8996.jpeg

Part of why I rode the Street Glide was to wear my matching orange helmet which, thanks to Mr. Sandi, has a new Sena 50R on it! He came home from Cycle Gear about a week ago and had purchased a dual set of the Sena 50R for the two of us. He has been reluctant to start connecting via intercom again for the last year or so but decided he'd give it another go. I promised I'd be more mindful of my "chatter" and I'd also make sure that we're not actively connected if I feel a bit of a rant coming on. ;):joy:

This controls on this Sena unit are configured differently than the ones on my 20S and I found today that the new ones will take a bit of getting used to. But Mr. Sandi and I were able to successfully connect out intercoms and also to, as we call it, "tap in" and "tap out". I always double check that we're TRULY "tapped out" by asking, "Can you hear me?!". And I ask that two or three times just to be completely certain. :eek::joy: I did find myself saying some not very nice things when a car cut us off on the way home so was glad that we weren't actively "tapped in" at that moment. :p
    IMG_8990.jpeg

Two days ago Russell got a new custom seat that he ordered from C & C Motorcycle Seat Co. That's the company that made the seat on El Gordo, my Fat Boy. He also sent in his back rest (or "throne" as we call it) to be reupholstered to match his seat design. He is thrilled with how the seat feels and where it puts him ergonomically. It's a solo seat and has a 1" reduced reach. He also really likes how the design turned out. It has both smooth and ostrich materials and a red stitched tribal type design. Mr. Sandi and I are excited that Russell is excited about his new seat setup, but we both later agreed that it's a wee bit over the top for our tastes. But that's one of the cool things about motorcycles! Everyone customizes their bikes the way they want them to be. :)

Overall both Russell and I have been super happy with C & C and most likely this will be the go-to seat company for all of us from here on out. I may check with them about reupholstering my Le Pera seat which I've had for about 8 years and 40K miles now. They will reupholster all brands except Corbin and I've no idea why they won't do those. Russell things it might be something related to the seat pan that Corbin makes.
    IMG_8982.jpeg

Breakfast was especially delicious today for some reason. I ordered a dish I've had multiple times before--a red chili tamale, a green corn tamale, refried beans, and two eggs over medium. Mi Pueblito is an excellent Mexican restaurant and well worth the ride to get there even though there are hundreds of Mexican restaurants right in in Tucson. Well, and the ride to get there is pretty sweet, too. :heart_eyes:
    IMG_8995.jpeg

Just one page of a four or five page menu. My breakfast was item #114 with an extra tamale.
    IMG_8988.jpeg

Back home in the garage with just shy of a hundred miles. This was my first long-ish ride with my new Kuryakyn Isogrips installed and I loved them just as much as I remember I did when I had them on my Road King five or so years ago. It was also my first ride of any length since having my fender repaired/repainted. I'm glad (and relieved) to report I did NOT get another paint chip right outta the gate! :):joy:
    IMG_9001.jpeg

IMG_8693.jpeg

When we left this morning at 7:45am it was about 70ºF. :sun::cool: But the days are starting to get pretty toasty! We arrived back home a little before noon and this was the temperature then. Hmmm, todays mileage and todays temperature were nearly identical!
    IMG_9002.PNG

IMG_8983.jpeg

• Like Like x 11