What Have You Being Doing With Your Non-triumph Today?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by MrOrange, Sep 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Ahhh, now I know who you were referring to! Our friends, Roe & Shelly, got an F850GS not too long ago and we did an overnighter to Bisbee, Arizona with them in December. Does that sound right?

Roe has had vintage Harleys for some time and they come and they go but he will always have several in his garage. :joy: Well, this time it's the BMW that's gone. He traded it two days ago for the new H-D "Pan American", the ADV bike that Harley came out with recently. He did like the BMW but he's now the general manager of one of the two H-D dealerships in Tucson and I think he figured it might be good for him to have a Harley. ;) That said, the Pan American is a great bike! And it has 150hp, compared to the 95ph of the beemer. He and his wife ride two up more and more these days (though she's a terrific rider and does have her own bike--a Harley) so the extra power is helpful. We have another riding buddy that has a Pan American and he absolutely love it. And we have yet another riding buddy who rides a BMW 1250GS...and is not about to get a Harley! :joy:

Now it all makes sense to me. Geez, I was afraid I was really losing my mind...or at least my memory! :eek::scream::joy:

• Funny Funny x 5
  2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Took a run through to Perth as the KTM dealer has moved into a much bigger and better located premises on the motor mile where all the car dealers are
    20220419_151741.jpg
    i was hoping to take a test ride of either the Adventure or the GT, unfortunately they had no demo bikes, after looking at the new Adventure he had in stock i really don't think i could live with the looks of it anyway :poop: , the GT below looked better but he only had the one left in stock and it had 3.5k of extras on it making it about 21.5k! (exhaust, heated seats, tinted screen, some bits of carbon and the panniers) I'm not thinking about changing my bike yet as i love it, but i was curious to see how it compared
    20220419_150212.jpg

20220419_150248.jpg

20220419_150234.jpg

• Like Like x 11
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    And that's the better looking one?? :poop::laughing::joy:

• Funny Funny x 6
  4. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    It does look better in the flesh, but none of the Adventure bikes are sexy looking!

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    I had a good ride on my mates GT 1st gen yesterday, its seriously good!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Hi folks been away from here for a while with work etc. but still have my Triumphs.

Here's my latest and greatest non- Triumph project that's currently going through the workshop. I've not actually ridden it yet although trying to perfect the kickstarting technique in the garage

20220416_185544.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  7. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Welcome back, @Eldon. Glad to see you back on the forum. :) How’s that kickstarting going for ya?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    No riding today but I finally got down to business and washed my Street Glide. Ugh...should have done it long ago as there are baked on bugs everywhere. But it's WAY better than it was yesterday! I'm vowing to stay on top of cleaning it regularly from now one. For today it was a big job...I even took the saddlebags off, brought them indoors, and cleaned them after I'd finished with the rest of the bike. You wouldn't even know I'd washed the bike in the driveway. It was so hot and dry today (though overcast thankfully) that the water on the concrete was completely dry by the time I had the bike wiped down.

Any tips for removing stubborn bug guts that have been on a bike so long they're nearly part of the paint at this point would be most welcome!

IMG_8519.jpeg

IMG_8521.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  9. Bikerman

Bikerman I used to have 5500 posts.

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    A big wet towel leave it on as long as the Arizona heat will allow, then you should be able to remove them a lot easier, it softens the bugs up. :)

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    @Bikerman suggestion works well and so do baby wipes!

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Thank you @Sandi T X

Well..... sometimes first go but other times o_O
    Plug out, clean it, wang it over to clear out the petrol :rolleyes:
    Takes you back in time having to mess about with a choke etc.

Petrol tap, what's one of them? :rolleyes: oh yes, helps sometimes if you switch it on :confounded:

Certainly doesn't like being flooded.

• Funny Funny x 5
  12. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Oh the foibles of old bikes, and singles can be tricky,lol.
    Always liked those Armstrongs, dont see many about nowadays.

13. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Apparently there were only about 3000 made originally then later came the 350 by Harley Davidson who bought the rights off Armstrong. Quite a chequered history really from an SWM origin; anyone remember them?
    Quite looking forward to getting out on it and even already gone down a tooth on the front for more zap and kapow :joy: ....... and maybe wheelies :eek: but its a bit of a bus at 160kgs and only 28 horses :confused:
    Already thinking about the possibility of a mx front end for a brake upgrade but may just see how it rides; who'd design a bike with a bigger back brake than front???
    6" versus 5" missus :blush:
    Plus given the modern trend of only a sidestand which makes chain adjusting a paddock stand affair this really does put them all to shame, left rear side stand, front right sidestand and a centre stand WTF :eek:

How many bearings in the back wheel?
    And the list goes on, it is so over engineered and a proper thing of the past.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Bikerman

Bikerman I used to have 5500 posts.

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    Unused ones are the best, will attract lots of flys otherwise :eek::joy::joy:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #2035 Eldon, Apr 20, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
    I have a few bikes altogether and some are nice, ready to roll and others are current or future projects.
    So ok, heres a guessing game for you if you wish, whats the bike/frame next to the Armstrong?

A couple of clues 1990 ish off roader.

20220326_161319.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  16. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    After telling Mrs D about my recent run to Rannoch Station, and as we were both off today and it was another sunny day we decided to have a run up (i was telling her about all the delicious cakes they have!) we went a different route to the one i went the other day, we stopped off at Queens view for a quick photo
    20220422_110808.jpg

it was just as we were about to leave Queens view that i remembered the Café at Rannoch Station was closed on Thursday and Fridays! :blush: Mrs D was disappointed as she loves a bit of cake! i told her i know of another place that has really good cakes, We went to Rannoch station anyway as she wanted to see it
    Deja vu for me but on a different bike!
    20220422_123918.jpg

after spending a while there we headed back then went up the opposite side of Loch Rannoch to the one we came up, we then took the road past Schiehallion a popular mountain for hillwalkers, that road leads onto the B846 Loch Tummel to Aberfeldy Rd, we stopped of at the café at Highland Safari for a cake for Mrs D, she said it was really good:yum ,she also had a cheese scone before which she said was one of the best she had tasted
    20220422_135648.jpg

i skipped the cake and had soup and a toastie, it too was delicious I would definitely recommend stopping off there for something to eat if your up that neck of the woods
    20220422_135518.jpg

20220422_134549.jpg

20220422_141023.jpg

• Like Like x 13
  17. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    No wonder they call it Queens View Dougie, that is breathtaking :eek:

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    It can be a busy place in the summer there's a cafe and a shop, near the viewpoint

19. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    NICE

20. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    On the way there...... recommended ;)

Great place Dougie @Dougie D

Screenshot_20220422-121022_Gallery.jpg