What Have I Done (valve Clearances)

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by spencerd72, May 15, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. spencerd72

spencerd72 New Member

Apr 4, 2019
    London, England
    Hi - the 3 bar fuel pressure is with the tank on, with a pressure gauge with some fuel line and some quick fit connectors each end so it can be plugged in to the normal fuel supply from the fuel pump.

A good point about the breather - I have checked that this is clear and blasted brake cleaner down it for good measure!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. spencerd72

spencerd72 New Member

Apr 4, 2019
    London, England
    Just checked the fuel flow rate- it is doing just over three litres / min.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #23 Sprinter, May 18, 2019
    Last edited: May 18, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. spencerd72

spencerd72 New Member

Apr 4, 2019
    London, England
    Hi Sprinter - I can't find a spec for the minimum flow rate. I was thinking would it use 3 litres for a theoretical 60 seconds of WOT throttle acceleration?

I replaced the filter with a Mahle 145, which is the right one, just 1/4 of the price Triumph dealers charge! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    You need to look around for a flow rate?
    3 litres/minute doesn't sound a lot but without the specifications its hard to decide.

If it helps, and you'll have to do the maths but it's a different bike;
    A friend who did the Manx gp on a cbr600 reckoned he was getting around 10 mpg if I remember correctly. Lap time was just under 120mph average.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Just over 3 litres a minute? That doesn’t sound right, you’d empty a tank in about 6 minutes! :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
  8. Paul Langford

Paul Langford Member

Oct 21, 2018
    Cornwall
    could be a faulty replacement filter

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. speeder

speeder Noble Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    You said you had the cam's out....have you verified the timing is definitely right?
    My guess is that it's something connected with the recent work done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    I know that this won't help (maybe in the future perhaps)
    But I try to do only one thing at a time, check it's working, than move onto the next thing.
    Sorry couldn't help :confused:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. spencerd72

spencerd72 New Member

Apr 4, 2019
    London, England
    Hi Speeder. Thanks for the reply. I did a paranoia check under the valve cover at the weekend and verified that the timing was as before I did the job (I had taken pictures). NB: the arrows on the cam gears didn't line up exactly before I started and it ran great, so I put it back as it was.
    I also re-checked the valve clearances to check I hadn't miscalculated anything.

New o-ring seals for injectors and throttle bodies are arriving this week, so that is the next line of attack this weekend.

Good job I've got two bikes eh? ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  12. spencerd72

spencerd72 New Member

Apr 4, 2019
    London, England
    Well, new injector seals top and bottom and new throttle body o-rings fitted and it's still doing it. It runs so much better with these new seals, but still bogs down if you give it sudden throttle. Now that I know there is nothing wrong under the valve cover, I'm going to give it a good ride and maybe a tankful with injector cleaner.

So the mystery continues.... I'll keep you updated.

By the way, my throttle body seals where as flat as a pancake and I imagine that were definitely leaking - the bike feels so much better with these replaced. I reckon these should be considered a consumable and done every five years or so..

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    So what do you think now of what the potential for further air leaks are?
    Your description sounds very much like a lean mixture on quick large throttle openings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    The trouble is both rich and lean mixture can cause a misfire, from what i have read you have a non std map applied and to me bogging down on quick throttle opening says to me that acceleration enrichment is not functioning as it should which is part of the mapping.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Of course Tricky, rich and lean do cause misfires but I get the impression from the description it is a weak mixture issue. I would go with your suggestion of lack of enrichment so in effect we are saying the same thing:p i.e. map needs clarification

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. spencerd72

spencerd72 New Member

Apr 4, 2019
    London, England
    Just to clarify regarding the map - it is the standard Triumph map for the TOR exhaust.

17. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK

So its a Triumph map written by the Triumph factory? still sounds like an enrichment map problem ....unless the TPS calibration is somehow wrong as the problem manifests when the throttle is opened quickly and you have checked the fuel supply and injectors ect....unless its just a case of opening the throttle too quick in a too high gear.

• Like Like x 1
  18. spencerd72

spencerd72 New Member

Apr 4, 2019
    London, England
    Yes the bike has always has the standard Triumph map. I never fancied messing with custom maps. It''s also always pulled smoothly from low revs. Now it bogs and 'stutters' which it didn't used to..

19. spencerd72

spencerd72 New Member

Apr 4, 2019
    London, England
    Nb: Since I replaced the throttle body and injector seals, it''s no longer idling between 30 -35 steps on the IACV, it''s more like 25-28, so I need to balance the throttles again to get this in spec and then see how it behaves..

20. Tricky-Dicky

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    You say this earlier "Re-applied TOR tune from TuneECU." so this is a remap/amendment and not std even if written by Triumph and could be where the problem lies...have you tried without this applied to eliminate?