Featured Rideout What Happened To Our Spring Riding Season?!

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by Sandi T, May 3, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Well, it turns out that our longest Sunday ride of the year to date coincided with the hottest day of the year to date! Eight of us did a 230 mile loop to start getting our "riding legs" (on butts as the case may be) back under us.

Screenshot 2023-04-30 at 6.58.18 PM.png

It just so happened that the Sunday temperature in Tucson hit a high for the year at 99ºF. So much for acclimatizing! :eek::sun::joy: But, hey, let's jump right in. We have a big motorcycle trip coming up in one month so there's no time like the present to get used to heat and miles. :):cool:

Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 8.09.27 PM.png

Our breakfast/lunch destination was Superior, Arizona, a town that has been known for Copper Mining. We passed by a massive open pit copper mine called the Ray Mine which is currently owned by ASARCO. It lies approximately 17 miles southeast of Superior. I noted it's location with a fuscia-colored star on our route map. It is difficult to reflect the scale of this mine which 3 miles wide and 7 miles long covering 21 square mile (53,000 acres) and is 2,400 feet deep. It can be a bit unnerving to ride along this mine on the curvy road which follows its western edge.:eek:

Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 9.26.22 PM.png

Ray Mine Open Pit - Arizona Geological Service
    Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 9.05.04 PM.png

After riding past the mine and going another 18 miles or so we came to Superior, Arizona and Porter's, our breakfast destination. We arrived shortly before 10:00am which it turns out is when they open for "brunch and lunch only". I guess our timing was perfect...or just lucky.

IMG_4562 2.jpeg

This being a relatively high mile Sunday ride, I chose to ride my Street Glide Special. I'll be on this bike on our upcoming summer trips. This route would certainly be fun on my Speed Triple RS! But my ol' body wouldn't be particularly happy about being on that bike for so many miles.

IMG_4563 2.jpeg

IMG_4570.jpeg

Porter's moved to this location a few years back. It's only about half a mile away from the old location which is now a place that sounds like we need to visit there, too--"The Silver King Smokehouse and Saloon". :D

Minus one riding buddy who is having health issues and one girlfriend of one of our riding buddies, this is the group that will be riding to the Sturgis Motorcycle this summer. :) (Well, and minus me since I'm taking the photo). What a bunch of old codgers we look like! :joy:

IMG_4571.jpeg

I didn't take any food photos today but had a delicious plate of Eggs Benedict with hash brown potatoes and fruit. I'd certainly order it again but the again there's no harm in branching out, right? Might mean another Sunday ride to Porter's. :yum And ya gotta love a place that's dog friendly. :heart:

IMG_4580.jpeg

After leaving Porter's we headed directly east to and through a town called Globe. We've been through this town many, many times on our summer rides when we head north to cooler weather. Globe was also a mining town and this whole area is known as "The Copper Corridor.

As the temperatures heated up and we headed back towards Tucson, Mr. Sandi came on over our Sena communicators and asked if I'd like to stop for ice cream at Mi Pueblito in the town of Mammoth. Hmmm, let me think. YES! We all stopped except for Chas and Kelly riding two up on their big Harley touring bike. They had to hurry home so continued on. Their loss... The ice cream was delicious and the water was icy cold. That's my half eaten Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream on the left there.

Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 9.43.20 PM.png

We started our ride day at 7:30am and arrived back home around 2:00pm. We had enlisted our dog sitter for the day so didn't have to be in a hurry (like Chas & Kelly) to get home. Although Ellie absolutely loves her doggy sitter, Marilyn, she was happy to see us. :) And we were happy to shower up, cool off, and relive our days adventures. :heart_eyes:

• Like Like x 14
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    Nice ride out..!
    We’ve had the opposite. Cold wet, rainy and that has meant I’ve only been out once this year…:worried:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  3. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #3 Sandi T, May 3, 2023
    Last edited: May 5, 2023
    Yikes, @Oldskool! :( won't complain about the heat again. :pensive: I'm really sorry to hear what crappy weather you've had and that you've only been able to ride once thisyear. :scream: Fingers crossed that will change soon and you can get back in the saddle. :sun:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Oldskool

Oldskool Elite Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Hertfordshire
    Worst spring I can remember. Wettest for 42 years I read somewhere. But after last summer we needed the rain…

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    @Sandi T:
    Thanks for the great pictures and your report!
    Here in the middle or in the northern west part of Europe we will get some kind of fish skin and fins soon! :weary_face:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. MoreT

MoreT Senior Member

Jun 12, 2022
    Hampshire
    Nice. Thanks for the pics, it brought back memories.
    Always interesting having your legs wrapped around a large capacity air cooled engine in desert temps. Lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    For god's sake don't encourage it!

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    I'm getting increasingly jealous. Do you think Mr Sandi would mind particularly if I moved in?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  10. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #10 Sandi T, May 3, 2023
    Last edited: May 5, 2023
    I don’t think he’d mind…well not too much anyway. :joy: Especially if you bring the Sport Glide with you. ;) Ellie the Boxer would love it! And you’d make a fine addition to our riding group, @learningtofly.:):sun:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Don’t encourage me, @Eldon! :eek::joy:

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    It surely is “interesting”, @MoreT! But a good excuse to ride fast. Gotta keep that engine cool. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Hope it dries out, @Markus, or you might need to start building an ark. Better than fish skin and fins! :eek:

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Bikerman

Bikerman I used to have 5500 posts.

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    Great write up and pictures, we here in Lincolnshire have been struggling with the heat of late too, 12 to 14 degrees, so I know how you feel.
    Bikes looking good Sandi.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  15. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    I was out that way today, by the afternoon I was getting too warm.... and wished I didn't have my long johns on under my jeans :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 6
  16. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Yikes, @Bikerman! If our temperatures dropped to what you're experiencing currently, I'd be wearing my long johns and my heated vest! :cold_sweat: Stay warm. :heart: Thanks for the kind comments about my bike and write up. :heart:

• Like Like x 3
  17. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    "Too warm", @brown mouse?! I guess it's all relative. Come join Mr. Sandi and me for a ride in Arizona in mid July sometime! :scream:;):joy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    I'm sorry to hear about your weather - here we had a glorious damp, cold and horrid april... Not ideal for riding in a new motorcycle... :poop: Even the tulips are struggling...
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  19. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    My new bike, however, @Sandi T , I love. I bought it because in my long journeys "my olde body" finds it difficult to cope with my S3. 1200 GT Explorer with all the bells and whistles.
    20230415_122554.jpg 20230415_122804.jpg 20230415_122816.jpg 20230415_122837.jpg 20230415_122939.jpg 20230415_122956.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  20. Markus

Markus Crème de la Crème
    Subscriber

Oct 28, 2020
    AUSTRIA
    • Like Like x 1