What First Got You Into Motorcycling?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by johne, Jun 29, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. johne

johne Standing on the shoulders of dwarves.

Jan 16, 2020
    Where the Wolds meet the sea
    So where did your interest in motorcycling first originate?

Perhaps it was a parent who had a bike, or a sibling or perhaps a friend or group of friends?

Or did you just pass a motorcycle dealership one day and think 'I fancy having a go at riding a bike?'

In my case my Dad had always had bikes, he was a despatch rider in WW2. My elder brother followed in his footsteps, so bikes were always around in my life growing up in the 60's. The explosion of new models (mainly from Japan) in the late 60's and 70's only saw my interest grow and so in my case I was hooked from an early age, but perhaps some here didn't get the bug until much later in life? What inspired you to get your first motorbike or maybe your were lucky enough to have it bought for you?

• Like Like x 8
  2. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    Great topic!

My mom and step dad bought me and my brother a used Honda Monkey back in '73 when I was not yet ten years old. We both took to it like walking and fell in love immediately. We've both been riding ever since and I won't stop until I'm dead or too crippled or sick to ride. I'm very blessed to ride!

• Like Like x 10
  3. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    My dad's BSA gold flash and sidecar

• Like Like x 11
  4. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Giver of Drugs, Vaccines and Hard Truths

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    14th July 1983 rode this badboy.....

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Doc Strange

Doc Strange Senior Member

Aug 8, 2019
    UK
    Uncle had an old Brit in his shed.

Barry Sheene was a national hero.

Evel Kneivel was on the telly

'Cool' image :)

Always knew when I grew up I'd ride a bike.

DS

• Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Coz I was a lazy git & it beats walking! :p

Seriously though, my parents ran a pub, a load of bikers used to be locals, as an 11 year old to me they were like gods,
    they took me racing at Brands Hatch, I met Barry Sheene & got his autograph, now he really was a god, all I wanted to do from then on was ride bikes & also be a god ..... well I got halfway there! :D

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 6
  7. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

Hmmm I don't know, maybe it was in my blood. Nobody when I was a lad had a motorbike although my father had had a Triumph before I was born, his dad had Triumphs and BSA's and my mother's dad who had been an army officer throughout the whole of WWII had owned a Brough Superior and a Panther but they were gone in favour of Jaguars long before I was born. Ever since I was a young sprog I was different from all the other kids and loved tattoos, rock'n'roll, rockabilly and metal music and I just grew into denim, leather and heavy boots. Even though I have had a long spell without a bike and never had the opportunity to have many good bikes in the first place I have always been a dyed in the wool biker in my mind. Was never much on the racing or speed side and never liked American iron. I often wonder if I am the re-incarnation of some fifties/sixties rocker who didn't make it into old age.

• Like Like x 10
  8. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Barry Sheene :heart_eyes:
    The FONZ:cool:
    HEYYY :p

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 6
  9. Shaun64

Shaun64 Senior Member

Feb 23, 2020
    England
    Nobody in my family had bikes but older lads on my estate had bikes up the wood and I used to go watch them, I got my first at 12 years a Yamaha 50 two stroke in the same style as a cub 50, I got it off the neighbours for £4 and it had a few months tax and test left, great days .

• Like Like x 8
  10. Gladtobebackontwowheels

Nov 23, 2019
    Dover. UK
    Divorce.

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    An Uncle rode a bike in the war, and my eldest brothers had a Triumph Trident and a Ariel square four, and TV fonz and such like also the old lady said No so it was a must do thing :cool:

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 4
  12. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I was just obsessed with cars and bikes from being a toddler. :grinning:
    My dad was a car mechanic when I was very young, but I’d never really had any exposure to bikes (apart from my grandad who had a C90 he’d built from 3 scrap ones).
    It sort of just happened, I just knew I wanted to ride bikes from an early age. None of my schoolmates were into them but I always was. :)

• Like Like x 12
  13. jbbiker675

jbbiker675 Member

Jun 22, 2020
    Sussex
    Things just fell into place my grandparents used to ride an old BSA and an Indian in their younger days .Plus it was cheaper then getting a car and just had to do a CBT to get on the road, it best choice i ever made!

• Like Like x 11
  14. MartyWilson

MartyWilson Guest

I really don't like cars much. They just don't move me apart from A to B. I only got a car licence when I was 38. Since my wife became ill I have had to do all the driving and, to be honest, I really can't be bothered it's so dull that it might as well be a computer game.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Scout master taking you for a ride, eh?!? :kissing_heart: :joy:

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Like Like x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  16. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Very good question. I think I saw them in magazines and I just thought that would be cool to ride one. In those days the dealer brought the bike round to your house and without any lessons whatsoever you could venture off. That feeling of being mobile and independent of public transport was something I treasured and from that moment on I was hooked (much to the dismay of my parents).

• Like Like x 12
  17. OldNick

OldNick Elite Member

Aug 11, 2019
    South Coast UK
    My Dad didn’t want to pay for driving lessons for my 17th birthday, so he said I could have a bike instead - second hand CB100 - top bloke my Dad:yum

• Like Like x 12
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Mate next door had a cd 175 we used to ride about on the field and living in a small village if you didn't have a moped you were fecked also a progression from pushbikes with the cardboard and clothes peg in the spokes

• Like Like x 12
  19. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Couldn't afford a car, didn't want to walk to work!

Yamaha DT50 (fetch silly prices now), Suzuki GS125, Kawasaki GT550, in 18 months. The rest is, as they say, history.

Passed my test on Valentines day. Examiners name was Mr Fullelove!

• Funny Funny x 12
    • Like Like x 3
  20. Winglad

Winglad Crème de la Crème

Dec 21, 2016
    Earth
    Was 2 years old (1967). South of Italy on holidays with my parents. I sat on Signore Gorino’s old Vespa and my rubber pants must have gotten glued to the vinyl seat in the heat, for my mum or dad were not able to get me off that little bike anymore...

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 4