What Can Councils Do To Promote Motorcycling?

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Rich Bryce, Jan 22, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Sod all to do with plod. Enforcement of this kind of thing is down to local authorities nowadays, unless you are unlucky enough to have a plod mobile in the vicinity and the driver is bored Sh!tless.

• Like Like x 2
  2. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    I was one of them, fame at last!!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    The vans are staffed by civilians, the videos/photos are viewed by civilians, in buildings sometimes owned by the police authority , the fines go into the local authority and DVSA put points on yer licence. It may say Police on some of the vans but that’s about all their involvement amounts to these days. Some may have been staffed by police officers during the very early days but AFAIK they are all civvies.
    The mobile locations are normally chosen after analysis of accident statistics and complaints of excess speed by the public and being as everyone thinks that vehicles are speeding past their house this is substantiated by using detection equipment, normally those rubber tubes stretched across the road, which not only counts the number of vehicles passing over them but also their speeds and obviously the times of day they do this.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    Motorcycle parking, kit storage is a great idea.
    What about subsidised advanced rider training?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    And cagers ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    There are a few like that which I have on my list.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Really appreciated mate, and TTF will get a proper mention too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    What about mentioning (and I know it’s only the council) paying zero road tax since bigger vehicles that make pollution every day are free road tax???

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Graeme_D

Graeme_D Active Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Edinburgh
    I would say either better security provisions at parking spaces, either sturdy railings or ground anchors.

Or possibly keep our heads down and don't attract attention from the council, otherwise an increase in motorcycle use means they will find a way to extract money out of us.

Edinburgh Council would happily introduce a lean angle tax if they knew they'd get away with it!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    See how disabled toilets have a scheme where you buy a key which gives access to otherwise locked cludgies? You need to prove entitlement.

Why not have locked parking, you need to prove ownership of a bike (logbook, say) and pay a nominal fee, and then you have access to the lockable compound.

Yeah, I know visitors from the planet Ovlov would moan, but....

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I will allow this as sarcasm because of the atrocious spelling but let us not be having a turf war. Pedantry, priggishness, finicky nit picking and plain pernicketiness is my manor. Got that?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  12. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    ULEZ shouldn’t apply to motorcycles, what money grabbing self righteous twat came up with that one? You can quote me!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Very likely to be Genghis.

How many other authorities up and down the country will see it as another money making scam under the guise of being green. Birmingham are looking to follow suit asap.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Graeme_D

Graeme_D Active Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Edinburgh
    Someone willing to exploit the fact bikes don't use polluting emissions for road tax calculations, and as manufacturer's generally don't publish them they can pretty much make up the rules for bikes. Motorcycles generally, with the exception of low capacity bikes, don't have economy or emissions as high priority.

Apparently you can apply for exemption, but the onus is on you to provide the required information (which can then be applied to all same model bikes).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    They'll all be at it soon enough. Had to apply for CRIT'Air sticker last year when visiting Alsace, just in case I decided to ride into Strasbourg. They're issued on the basis of information contained in the registration certificate - turns out the Tiger is pretty clean at level 2. :cool:
    20190125_101632.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Malcolm Bradley

Malcolm Bradley New Member

Oct 21, 2018
    Chatham
    Secure storage for clobber and bike alike would help no end. The current Mrs B and I stuff our luggage with our gear and go walk about. Each time we get back to the bike it’s a worry if our gear is going to be intact.
    Whilst I’m on it why do motorcycles always get forgotten in a schedule of charges on pay and displays??? There’s prices for cars, trucks, invicars, skateboards and all sorts.... not a mention of bikes. Trying to track down a parking attendant is like looking for rocking horse poo (until you move away then they appear in droves with ticket machines a-humming) so why not make it clear (in Kent at least).
    Why oh why can’t bikes have more specific parking spots.
    A lot of bikes are owned by folks who are shall we say ‘more mature’ and have disposable income. The councils are missing a trick by not making our lives easier. I’d happily pay a fiver or more to have secure storage.
    Storage would mean I could ditch the luggage and filter easier. No luggage would mean I could get a Rocket III and pull my own arms off too!
    Win win!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Pretty well served in Hampshire to be fair. All public car parks that I have used have free parking for motorcycles in a dedicated motorcycle bay. Some are well thought out and others just the last bit of space that you couldn't fit a car in!
    Winchester town centre has two car parks with covered parking for bikes and we can park on the street in residents only spaces. :cool::cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. figwold

figwold First Class Member

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    Ive always assumedmotorbikes are free in pay and display on the basis that even if you bought a ticket it would most probably be half-inched pdq anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. steve lovatt

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Only if in a designated motorcycle bay - think you'll get a ticket if you leave your bike in a designated car bay as it means that they cant collect the revenue from that space. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Graeme_D

Graeme_D Active Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Edinburgh
    This is certainly correct in Edinburgh. You're effectively paying for the space, rather than what's stored in said space.

With the issue of the ticket being stolen, this isn't so much of an issue if you use online/app services such as Ringo, as no ticket is issued. The warden checks the database, and can see if you have paid.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Certainly true at Kingston hospital, although with the number plate recognition software most places have now you don’t need a paper ticket so a motorcycle could park and pay in a normal bay, it won’t be long!

• Agree Agree x 1