Featured What A W***er

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Artemij, Jun 6, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dave Caddy

Dave Caddy Member

May 19, 2018
    Somerset
    Feel a lot better now after resding this thread.
    Got on my T100 at work last week, put the side stand up and promptly fell over to the left. Ended up lying on the floor with my foot stuck under the bike.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

I avoided ur situation (or similar) by pure luck.

Went to visit a friend on the ride back from picking up a brand new Tiger 800.

I pulled into his driveway and didn’t remember the 6” deep shingle...

I didn’t drop it then, or when leaving, but came close.

The worst thing is being short, my little legs were working (skidding about) trying to manoeuvre the bike. I looked a right twat - again.

I still cringe with the memory.

In the intervening years I have learned to watch the near side camber as they can drop away quickly leaving you close to falling over. Some other close call stories there...

All part of the fun.

• Like Like x 3
  3. gazzatheyid

gazzatheyid Senior Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Digging up some old threads reading through.

I pulled in to a petrol garage and thought I'd flicked the stand but it wasn't fully retracted. Realised too late as I got a hand to it, my Triple went to the ground in slow motion in front of a packed fore court. No damage luckily.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Did exactly the same going to the TT 10 years ago packed forecourt and me with a Z1000 lying on top of me doh

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. gazzatheyid

gazzatheyid Senior Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Ouch! Happens to the best of us, but you never do it again!! :tired_face:

6. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Exactly this
    At petrol pump, put side stand down, but not all the way and in slow motion the bike squashed me against the pump.
    I couldn't get the angle to push it up and an old gent helped me out.
    No damage but thought of asking the cashier to delete the camera footage :)

• Funny Funny x 5
  7. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I also dropped my bike when I stopped off at my parents to show it off on the way home after picking it up , their driveway at the time was clay and after some light rain was quite slippery. As I came to a stop the tyres just slid down the rather gentle camber and it all want down in slow motion as I struggled to keep it upright, needed a new wing mirror, nothing more luckily

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    You gotta laugh, I also dropped my Street Twin a few months ago, just go off not a care or side stand in the world, twerp, it's a not so exclusive club, many on here have done equally stupid things, Don't feel bad you W***er

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

#29 Cyborgbot, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2019
    Since were opening up - I have since dropped it twice:

1) At work they have a bike shed (with protruding bicycle wheel supports built into the wall). I parked my bike in there tail against the wall and got off. I decided I ought to push it back to make a bit more space. At the end of the day I kitted up & jumped on the bike - doing the cool all in one movement flipping the bike upright and kicking the side stand up, and getting ready to start the bike - plopping it into first... Unfortunately I had pushed the bike against one of the protruding bicycle supports so that it couldn't stand upright - but rather bounced back - only with the side stand up and without my foot down. Eeekk it fell over. Very embarrassing. The motor wasn't even running.

Lesson Learnt: Don't be a twat and don't rush stuff - keep basic steps so you don't get caught in this 1 in a trillion chance error.

2) Stopped outside a mates house before a ride out. Kicked the side stand down and put both feet on the pegs as I set up the GPS. The side stand wasn't down properly and I keeled over with the bike. Very funny. I had to be helped up as I couldn't stop laughing.

Lesson learnt: Don't be a twat - check your side stand is down.

I now over compensate and always pull the bike back against the side stand to make sure its properly engaged.

Thankfully only pride was damaged and had little need of that to begin with.

Moral of the story is try and not be a twat.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Notso

Notso Senior Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Solihull
    Mind me asking what bike and what mushroom? Am keen to protect mine a bit more and sounds like you've done well there.

11. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

Well, never the same way...

12. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Some great stories. This one happened to a mate, honest.
    On his new to him Harley he pulled onto a packed forecourt to fill up. Said he felt Steve McQueen super cool with all eyes on him with envy. Yeah, I know....
    Anyway puts his foot down alongside a free pump. Treads in diesel residue he hadn't seen. Bike goes down in slo mo trapping him against the pump. Has to be exctricated by fellow motorists. Goodbye Steve McQueen, hello Benny Hill.
    Yes I'd have kept that to myself as well.

• Like Like x 3
  13. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    We've all done it - I got off my old Street Twin shortly after buying it, and forgot to put the sidestand down. The bike trapped me between it and the fence, and just as I was struggling (and I mean struggling) to get myself upright again a group of schoolkids were walking past the drive. They clearly found it hilarious o_O

The issue about gradients is an important one, and I'm particularly conscious of it at the moment. My R9T is higher than my previous Street Triple LRH (and I only have a 30" inseam), and to make matters worse the custom seat that I've just put on it has taken it up another inch or so. Gradients/negative cambers/uneven surfaces etc are a potential hazard every time I stop.

These kinds of challenges are particularly pertinent for less experienced riders, for whom things haven't yet become second nature.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Shorty! :p
    I’m lucky in that I’ve never really had any problems of this type, having a 36” inseam. My R9T feels particularly low for me compared to my Daytona.

I’ve only had one bike that I can recall having problems with, an old KTM Adventure that even I couldn’t get both feet flat, huge thing that was. o_O

• Like Like x 1