What’s The Most Boring/crap Bike You Have Owned?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Jet City, Jan 4, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    #141 Pegscraper, Feb 6, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    Boring: ZX10 1988. Not the big step up I was expecting from the 1000RX it replaced.

Crap: A 1990 GSXR1100L I bought in 1992, the only road bike I've ever bought 2nd hand. I had one new in 1990 which was brilliant and fancied another one in '92 after 18months on a 1000 EXUP. The handling on the used one (14 months old) was rubbish. Had it worked on by Maxtons which helped but it still wasn't in the same league as the first one I had. Eventually found out the the front wheel was almost half an inch out of line with the rear despite no evidence of accident damage. That's all I could put it down to.
    Dissappointing: Ducati 1198SP bought new in 2011. Bit of an impulse buy to be fair but was glad to get shut despite the big hit I took on resale.

• Like Like x 1
  2. XCaTel

XCaTel Senior Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Ireland
    +1 on the 350K4 but in my defence it replaced a 250K4 so seemed good at the time (wow, some trade up)! But at least they were cheap bikes to me.

My worst new purchase was a Harley 883 Sportster, just too small and not great at any distance, I probably regretted that buy within the first few weeks, I kept it a year and went up to a 1340 Harley which was great. But that 1340 got nicked within 12 months and it got replaced with a Triumph Daytona 1200 which was feckin brilliant!

• Like Like x 1
  3. XCaTel

XCaTel Senior Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Ireland
    Oh go on, tell us what went wrong. I had the first release 2016 model and it was very reliable apart from the rotting spokes that everyone had. I got rid of it as I thought it was a bit anaemic.

4. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

A knackered Raleigh Chico circa 1976. Took the mud guards off and re-sprayed it (badly).

To be fair, it could do awesome wheelies - to the point it was possible to keep nose up whilst stationary and ‘bounce’ 180 degrees and carry on riding.

Not sure the front wheel was necessary at all... The bicycle was probably designed as a unicycle and retrospectively converted to a bicycle.

Now compare that story to my riding style on poor long suffering Tigger...

On reflection don’t.

it’s embarrassing!

Little Chico also got ‘upgraded’ with a rack so I could give lifts to mates. New handle bars (raised and with a cross bar).

Trouble was, no matter what I did with it, it was still built around the frame of THE most boring bicycle in existence.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire

Lol! .....now edited :joy:

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. Patchinko

Patchinko Senior Member

Feb 1, 2018
    S.W. Hants
    I've had some great bikes and some shite bikes, but even the worst of em was still more fun than driving a car.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Trevor Austin

Trevor Austin Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2020
    Northumberland
    A Suzuki GT500. That was a horrible bike. I was just too keen to move up from my first bike, a Suzuki TS185. It was also sold by a grasping bunch of bastards in Potters Bar High Street. It was enjoyable to see them go bust. But through that experience and a few others I’ve now learnt how to deal with these sorts of scum-suckers.

8. Maxb10

Maxb10 Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Lincoln
    Triumph 3TA bathtub back in the 70s! Ugly bugger! Traded in got Tiger 100 sport.

9. Maxb10

Maxb10 Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Lincoln
    Triumph 3TA bathtub back in the 70s! Ugly bugger! Traded in got Tiger 100 sport.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Stephen Turner

Stephen Turner Tiger 900

Feb 6, 2021
    N E Lincolnshire
    This must take the biscuit, around 1978 I had a second hand Honda 90, auto clutch, It got me to work and back in all weathers. Top speed downhill was 43 mph. Too long ago now to list any positives but introduced me to servicing and maintaining.

11. XCaTel

XCaTel Senior Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Ireland
    Now isn't that strange what suits one and not the other, I had the slightly earlier T500, P Reg it was, handled like shit but I loved it because it was quirky and different.

• Like Like x 1
  12. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    I had a go on my mates T500 at the time I owned a T250r. Obviously I was impressed with the extra power but I can recall that at the time it soon seemed to run out of steam.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. swampy61

swampy61 Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2020
    Shropshire
    I have ridden a few crap bikes, cb250n, and gt380 immediately come to mind.. Probably the worst to ride of the bikes I owned was an RD400C...

14. Timothy Peters

Timothy Peters Senior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Palatine, IL USA
    1989 Honda VFR750. Sold a 1987 Honda Hurricane 600 (CBR which was great) for it. Good engine but felt heavy, was hard to turn in and brakes never felt firm no matter what I did to them. Sold it to buy another XC bike.

15. Iron

Iron Guest

Oh, many horrible things, a C15 with a Johnny Reb painted tank that got overtaken by Puch Maxis and had cornflake box gaskets but still looked like a bonfire when standing at the lights. An absolute shite 5TA that couldn't get above 50mph that the chrome fell off of, I was sort of glad when it was nicked. An Evo engined chop that left parts of itself on the road at every opportunity and ate trouser legs in the exposed primary belt (the left hand grip slipped off once and nearly gave me a heart attack). I actually gave the Harley away.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Yikes, @Iron! You've had some doozies. :eek::scream: Glad you lived to tell about them.

17. Nick HM

Nick HM New Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Bath, UK
    That was a pig ugly motorcycle, you have to say. Sort of like and not like my V50 Guzzi, which I loved - until some silly tart pulled out in front of me. Then, it was the deposit for my first house! So, not all bad.

18. Chahpit1

Chahpit1 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2020
    Asheville, NC USA
    XS 650 Yam. In the late 70s and early 80s I chopped dozens of these bikes. Rigid frames, rake, stretch on all of them, but I had never ridden a stock one. A customer traded a pristine one for some work I did. Slow, ponderous handling, brakes that were almost functional and visually, as we say in the South "plain as a mud fence". These were marketed as a more reliable alternative to Triumphs. I would rather push my Triumph Tiger than be seen riding that XS.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  19. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    In an attempt to get back onto a big bike some years back I bought an 'A' reg VF 750, yes the one with the chocolate camshafts. It was ok till I had a fastish run down the motorway one day when I discovered it was rattling very badly from the top end. After repeated re-setting of the valve clearances it was obvious that the case hardening had worn away on the cam follower for one of the cylinders on the rear bank. I ended up swapping the exhaust camshaft and followers but it was the only cam on the engine that could'nt be changed with the engine in the frame. After that the exhaust blew itself to bits so I had to source a new collector box and silencers. Still, I managed to move it on for a very small profit.