What’s That You Say? Ears Plugged?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by DavidBrownLaw, Jul 31, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DavidBrownLaw

DavidBrownLaw Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2020
    Lawrence, Kansas
    I heard a joke about tinnitus the other day, but I can’t remember how it goes. Ring a bell for anyone? I was going to call the Alzheimer’s folks, but forgot. I tried calling the tinnitus hotline for information, but it just kept ringing. So, I ask you kind forum members: ear plugs? Do you wear them? When? What kind? I started looking and realized there are dozens of sizes, colors and shapes. Really, what do you do to kill the buzz? Thanks.

• Funny Funny x 7
  2. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Crème de la Crème

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    I always wear them I do not want to be deaf when I’m getting on in life. Had them custom made at the local hearing shop. Work a treat and well worth the expense.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    Could you combine the function of earplugs with a Bluetooth set which allows you to hear directions from a Sat Nav, allows listening to radio (not for me cos I like to hear what's about) and bike to pillion/bike comms?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I haven't been wearing earplugs and haven't really suffered until recently when riding my newly acquired Sprint ST complete with high screen, this caused turbulence around my crash helmet, had tinnitus for a couple of days after.
    Changed the screen for shorter one and although better, I still feel that I will need to wear earplugs going forward, I had been on naked bikes for a number of years & never had an issue.

5. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    I've tried to wear them but feel detached from my surroundings so I don't and just listen to my music also only found a wind noise problem at sustained high speed

• Like Like x 3
  7. Funnyfarm

Funnyfarm Active Member

Jan 3, 2020
    Hampshire
    Only recently started wearing earplugs, cuts the wind noise out much better riding experience

• Like Like x 2
  8. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I use ear plugs and also have an intercom system which I can hear with them in. I use the ones you make yourself with two different putty type compounds cos I have narrow ear canals and can't get even the squashy foam ones in.
    Been suffering from bad tinnitus for years so I don't want my hearing to deteriorate any further if I can help it.
    PARDON!!!!!!!!!:eek:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    Agh, sorry, sounds like you are getting it sorted.....

10. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    WHAT !!!

• Funny Funny x 4
  11. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Crème de la Crème

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    Most definitely. My wife and I both have the custom made plugs. They have a tiny hole in them and with the Cardo I can clearly hear her and any music/ gps instructions.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    I’ve always used earplugs having worked in engineering all my life and having the health and safety drummed into me, plus I want to protect my hearing.
    Have tried all sorts of plugs; custom made, pin lock ones etc. but seem to come back to good old foam ones.
    I currently use the LaserLite ones and get a box from Screwfix when I get discount codes through.
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/howard-leight-laser-lite-35db-ear-plugs-200-pairs/38688

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Don’t worry nobody was talking to you :p

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. MyEvilTwin

MyEvilTwin Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Sugartown Cabaret
    #14 MyEvilTwin, Jul 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    Tinnitus is no joke as I am plagued with a chronic case myself. To share the experience, one can youtube 8000hz sound and that is the exact ring pitch I deal with 24/7/365 accompanied by high frequency hearing loss. Therefore,I am a big fan of earplugs as harsh noises (wind, exhaust, etc) actually aggravates tinnitus temporarily. There is a nice affordable set on Amazon know as EarPeace Ear Plugs. Soft silicone with (3) Decibel filters. Used them on a 100mi trip and loved them. Relatively cheap too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Many of the guys I ride with are changing earplugs to noise canceling earbuds.
    I first heard of them being used for air travel to block out the noise, and a mate swears by them.

5EC6BF74-70C1-4A2A-9D77-8FC1A1F187AD.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  16. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Inserting foam ear plugs
    Skip to 1min

You would be surprised how many people just get the foam earplug and just try forcing it into the ear hole, for it to only sit on the outside doing nothing
    My mate did this for years before I showed him but damage was done and he now wears hearing aids

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. DavidBrownLaw

DavidBrownLaw Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2020
    Lawrence, Kansas
    Adie P., I hate you. Since starting on this forum, my "I want it" list is longer than my son's was at Christmas when he was 4-years-old. Every time a toy came on TV, he was "please, Santa, please!" He's 30 now, so he isn't a problem. We are actually quite proud of him (he is a former Marine, pilot of both fixed wing and helicopters, and now a St. George, Utah, police officer). But, back to you. I'm drooling over those ear-plugs. I can't control it. I want them; and do I want the inexpensive ones? Oh no. Just the bluetooth pro for oodles of cash. In the past two weeks, I've purchased: a new motorcycle (with one in the garage already); a Garmin GPS, Givi saddlebacks and mount system; Givi engine guards, paid the insurance,and paid the sales tax (VAT equivalent). My wife was understanding at first, but I am pushing the envelope. I wonder if I could ride down the road with my fingers in my ears. Do you think that could work on a temporary basis at least until after she has seen all the bills that are coming in and calmed down? :)

• Funny Funny x 4
  18. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    I’m an old jet mechanic and have tinnitus. It mainly bothers me if I’m trying to go to sleep and it is too quiet. The simple fix for me is to have a fan running.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Old dumb arse

Old dumb arse Noble Member

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    Tinnitus from as far back as I can remember. When the wife started questioning my selfish bike purchases I just pointed out her jewelry, she stomped off problem solved.

• Funny Funny x 6
  20. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    Same works for me JtC though crowds of fans cheering is more effective

• Funny Funny x 2