Wet And Dirty

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Ghriogair, Jun 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ghriogair

Ghriogair Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Edinburgh
    Had a bit of a wet run at the weekend and found I was getting a bit damp around the backside. When I stopped I found I was sitting in a pool of water and dirt as the seat tends to gather the water slightly on the RS it seems.

On continuing down the road I asked my mates to see if they could see why I was getting so wet. It appears the water is coming right off the back wheel and hitting me on the back, then running down the way.

I had a tail tidy put in the RS before it left the dealership as the standard tail piece stuck out too far over the wheel etc etc. But was that what it was for, to stop the water spraying up the way? I thought it was that length due to EU regulations?

Has anyone else had such a lovely experience? I dont know if a larger hugger than standard would fix this issue as according to my mates the spray was coming right off the furthest edge of the tyre?

BAB77064-F2A7-418B-A005-4A67774942BB.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    I have the same thing on my 2005 speed triple. When I ride in the wet I get a stripe of grot all the way up my back and helmet, and the water runs off my back onto my seat. Pretty annoying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I did have this problem, I put on an 'Urban' ductail that sticks to the bottom of the number plate and catches the spray before it reaches your back
    £16 on Amazon.co.uk

Use a couple of very small screw to make a more secure connection

I now have a nice a dry back in the rain
    It is also a good spot to put on the small round reflector to meet MOT requirements

• Useful Useful x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ghriogair

Ghriogair Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Edinburgh
    Excellent, I knew someone would have the answer, thanks Red!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. neilb

neilb Active Member

Oct 8, 2019
    Billericay, Essex
    This afternoon I did some 60 miles around the lanes only to arrive home to find that my back, helmet and seat cowl were totally covered in road muck. Found this thread and just put in my order for a ductail. Hopefully, that will keep the worst of the crap off me.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. OhCrumOn

OhCrumOn Well-Known Member

May 2, 2019
    Phila
    part of the reason why plate holders have to reach beyond the rear tire.. well maybe not part of the reasons but one of the added benefits.

Run into this issue with every bike I've thrown a tail tidy on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    Without stating the obvious, it is called a back mudguard for obvious reasons imo, as great as a tail tidy looks, they do not keep the crap off

• Like Like x 1
  8. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    £11.95 on Ebay! :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    God dam it, I got to stop jumping to conclusions when reading the titles, again with the lube:eyes:

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    I certainly found that my back took the full brunt when I had my Street Triple - not some thing that's been noticeable on other bikes I've owned/ridden. That seat :eek: