Welcome To Paris… If You’re Quiet

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Octoberon, Feb 15, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Octoberon

Octoberon Crème de la Crème

Jul 2, 2020
    Peak District, Yorkshire
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Useful Useful x 3
  2. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    South Jersey, The 51st State
    Around these parts there's a little town north of Trenton, NJ called New Hope, just across the Delaware River on the PA side. Quaint little tourist trap town of trendy shops, outdoor dining, antique shops, etc. It's a big biker draw. I don't know why. We call it No Hope. The town fathers passed a noise ordinance and and armed the local constabulary with decibel meters.
    New Hope.PNG

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  3. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    • Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

ISTR reading that they're being trialled here too. When I was in Saudi I was told that their speed cameras were also tuned for mobile phone frequency, and would take a photo if an active phone went by. TBH, too many bikes make an almighty din and for me, those days should be numbered. Cue flame attacks.....:bomb::)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Phone cameras are either in operation , but fines not being issued or they are in 'beta' testing phase in several places "cities" here in OZ .
    You can spot them ' they are rearwardly oriented ' so they can take more time to get directionally correct reading of possible offenders ...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    South Jersey, The 51st State
    Cherry Hill, NJ, a town about 12 miles west of me is employing red light cameras, as are many towns. They had one on Rt.70 that was found to be malfunctioning and they had to refund thousands of dollars in fines to unjustly tagged motorists.

Funny story...

After I retired from police work I landed a job with Liberty Mutual Insurance. They were hiring retired officers for their fraud investigation unit at the time. They have since ended that practice after realizing we were just a bunch of lazy old fucks who knew how to game their system and get away with doing as little work as possible. Anyhow, one guy, Marty, was a retired Philly detective, a real character. A new kid in the unit, from the claims dept., not a retired cop, had to go to Philly on a case. He asked Marty to go with him because Marty knew Philly intimately and it was a dangerous neighborhood. As they were nearing the destination the traffic light turned red in front of them. Marty tells the kid not to stop in this neighborhood, go through the red signal. If they got pulled over, Marty said he'd would "flash his badge." So, they go through the red signal. Two weeks later the kid gets a ticket in the mail for running the red light. Red light camera. He went to Marty for help.
    "Sorry kid. Nothing I can do about it once it's written."

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    'Rearwardly oriented' eh? That's a new one on me. Even google can't find it. Isn't the English language amazing?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dave49

Dave49 Elite Member

Dec 30, 2019
    SW Scotland
    Hmm. Sounds more like a sexual preference than a type of camera.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Just another good reason not to ride in Paris....:)

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Dave49

Dave49 Elite Member

Dec 30, 2019
    SW Scotland
    Or in Oz.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Primary lane (closest) is being monitored and recorded with the rear of vehicles being viewed ! Opposing lane (frontal view) isn't the primary focus !
    This is the sort of Language used by the system when motorcycles are in the "Aim Box" !
    Dual carriageways are usually only monitored from the front , exception being if it's "known" or believed that a vehicle is regularly speeding with no frontal form of identification (no plate fitted) so Bike Only is the targeted option.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Baza

Baza Elite Member

Jul 25, 2020
    Home of Amazing Grace
    What about hands free setups. My phone automatically bluetooths to the car’s on board system as soon as I climb aboard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    I wonder if @thebiglad knew about that coming from France. His bonneville made my ears bleed!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    A photo is taken as 'Evidence' this evidence is then reviewed by an Officer in the Central Traffic Camera operations. They look at the images, if they can SEE obvious phone use activity , ie - head and eyes downward looking or the obvious phone in hand or up to your ear , they process
    Modern cars fitted standard with Bluetooth phone connectivity are on a list the assessor can check against the vehicles registration data. If there isn't any distraction visible as above , they Bin it !!

• Agree Agree x 1