Weird Sound

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by andrewaden, Aug 25, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. andrewaden

andrewaden New Member

Aug 25, 2018
    france
  2. andrewaden

andrewaden New Member

Aug 25, 2018
    france

3. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Hard to tell from video, but with fuel injection, when the ignition is turned on, the fuel pump can be heard priming. Could it be that? Or is the pump defective in some way, making the priming noise 'different'?
    As I say, couldn't tell from the video so I'm really just guessing, and probably making a fool of myself ... again!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. andrewaden

andrewaden New Member

Aug 25, 2018
    france
    killswitch stops the sound though.
    could be fuelpump, but the bike is almost new, and when the ignition is on, its just keep pumping like that

5. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    If the pump keeps running then my thought would be that it is not pressurising properly. Perhaps a pipe has fallen off or leaking somewhere in the system? Some early fuel injected Daytonas suffer from a pipe becoming uncoupled inside the petrol tank. As the bike is almost new the dealer should be sorting it under warranty.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. andrewaden

andrewaden New Member

Aug 25, 2018
    france
    i thought its going to be pumping a little bit, but it keep before you start the engine. weird thing, seems like im the only one with this problem

7. stevethegoolie

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Pump should prime and then stop when up to pressure, and can be heard doing so.

Being unique is not necessarily a good thing as you will now be aware. I bet you aren't the only one with this problem though so maybe not as unique as you first thought!

8. andrewaden

andrewaden New Member

Aug 25, 2018
    france

how dangerious it can be before you go for longdistance ride?

9. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

If it is, that fuel pump does not sound good. Not working and therefore not getting enough pressure to switch off?

My diesel Discovery went like that after I put petrol in it. Diesel fuel pumps don't like petrol. Expensive lesson.

10. andrewaden

andrewaden New Member

Aug 25, 2018
    france

the fuel was right, thats for sure...

11. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

#11 MrOrange, Aug 25, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2018
    It's ok to put diesel in a petrol fuel pump , does feck the seals, like it does vice versa. Fecks up other stuff, I image, but never tried so don't know.

Was just saying, that from the video, it sounds like a knackered fuel pump.

12. Hack Driver

Hack Driver Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Denton, Maryland USA
    I agree with the comments on the fuel pump. If you haven't tried yet, cut a wood dowel, hold it to your ear, and then move it around the different parts of the bike until you identify the location where the sounds is coming from. That should help pinpoint your problem. Welcome to the forum! You can look at the OEM diagrams on the parts ordering web sites to see what is at that location. I also agree with getting it to the dealer to fix it.

13. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    Most likely the throttle body. Prior to hitting the starter switch you can play a tune on it by simply opening and closing the throttle differing amounts.
    If the next video you upload is not Beethoven's 5th played on your Triumph, there will be mild disappointment incurred to say the least.

• Like Like x 1