Warped Rotors......again!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by SuperHans, Jul 31, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Ok, I think I have changed rotors on about every Triumph I have owned (which is 4).
    Well one was my own fault when driving away with the lock in the disc...but the others.

My last 2014 Speed Triple had a vibration going on with only 7000KM on the clock, ended up buying new ones from Braking, looks great and has been working for another 20000KM.

Now got myself a 2016, and when I got it it was the first thing I checked, and it did seem alright. No vibrations.
    Then after changing tires, oilfluid change there it is....again, vibrations, especially in lower speeds.

Took the tires of, checked the balance that was slightly off so went to the tire shop and got them rebalances and now they are fine balancewise, and did think this was going to solve the vibrations too...but no.

Made sure the calipers was put on properly as recommended (tighten the bolts when holding the break) tried to check and see if I could see if they were warped...but no (same as last time).

Now I am turning to some magic trick that has been flying around the internet, "Loosen your bobbins, set your brakes free) to see if this in some sort of a magical way will solve it.
    I mean the guy with the KTM that's in the video, I don't see why he would lie....

So...what do you guys think, is the Speed Triples rotors shite quality, does the "loosen your boobins/buttons" work?
    And if I have to bit the bullet and spend money on discs....what should I get? Braking is good but a bit pricey (£500 pair)

2. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Yea, I know. I just find it impossible to tell if the rotor is warped this time (same as last time) IF it it is warped.
    Now...checking my bobbins on the old bike they rattle and are loose. On the new one they are solid and don't move at all.
    Managed to get one "free", but there definitely is a difference on the rotors on my old bike.
    They are prob full-floating instead of semi as the standard are, but still.

Will give the "free your bobbins" magic a stab cuz they are all stuck (bar one).

Damn rotors....expensive to replace too.

3. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Another thing to consider is when you have had prolonged hard braking sessions while riding your favorite set of twisties or doing a track session, do not sit with your front brakes on at the next junction or when you come into pits, if the discs are really hot, the pads keep the heat in as opposed to the unclamped part of the disc which will cool faster, this can cause warping.
    Use the back brake to hold the bike if you have to as that won't usually have got so hot.

• Useful Useful x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Now, I know this is a bit of a guessing game.
    But theoretically, could the oil fluid change I did in any possible cause this phenomenon (if the discs aren't warped).?

Started the "free the bobbin" task and both discs were completely stuck. Now with both almost done the outer disc can move a little, both sideways and "up and down" like on my other bike. Will finish all of them and clean it all of with brakecleaner.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    Are you using Metzler 888 tyres?
    I and a number of others have had vibration problems with these.
    I threw mine away.... problem solved.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    I'm using Michelin Pilot Power 5 (or think they are just called power 5) that is a tire I never tried before. The Power 3 was alright so decided to try the Power 5, not sure there is a 4. So not a Metzler user...at least not at the moment.
    But I do appreciate the advice there on tires, i'm going through a set or 2 a season.

But I'm not saying its not the tyres. Its just that its very obvious when I am braking in low speeds, so don't really feel like a tire issue...unless they are a bit oval shaped i guess. Well see, headin out now to see if the "free bobbin" is a load of crap as the workshop fella claims or a miracle cure :)

I'll report back later...

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Ok...so there was a slight improvement...still not good tho.
    Starting to think if there is something else that can cause this.

Now, the bike is fairly new, one owner before me.
    One thing I do notice is that it doesn't have what I remember as the warped disc feeling to it, this is more of a vibration that feels a bit like you are breaking hard on a car with ABS.
    Its almost like its slipping.

Saying that tho, checking the suspension and considering how the bike rides I do feel its a bit bouncy, I had my old bike (speedy 2014) on the hardest track setting and its not this bouncy.

So starting to wonder if its a combination of things.
    Checking the fork tubes it no oil whatsoever on them, sure...great, but normally there is a tiny bit of oil on them but there is non here...completely dry.
    Could crappy seized up forks contribute to this phenomenon...??

I wonder if I should just get the 2014 wheel and mount it on the 2016 bike and go for a ride, just to see what happens. I know those rotors are ok.

8. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Ok, some severe scrubbing of calipers and deglazing the rotors didn't do much.
    Seems like the discs is a little bit warped, hard to say how much though and if it causes the problem.
    Strange thing is that both are warped at about the same place.
    I wonder if the place that mounted the tires on the wheels could have damaged the discs, but I guess that would be tricky to prove though.

Anyone has any recommendation on rotorbrands? I am using Braking on my older bike, wave design (was the cheapest quality brand rotor I could find at the time).

Whats more out there, EBC, TWR, Braking, Brembo?
    Brembo seem to have decent prices at the moment, around £150 a disc.

9. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Ok, managed to pick up a pair of Brembo Oro Discs with SA pads for €400.
    Hopefully its an upgrade compared to the standard rotors and pads the the bikes comes with.
    But more important, no vibrations during breaking.

Wanted to go with the EBC XC ones but didn't think the gold colour center part would look as good as black.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Alatamoc

Alatamoc Senior Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Uk
    I'm pleased your problems are sorted.
    Al

11. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    I
    Thanks Alatamoc, I hope they will be when I get them on :)
    Still think there is something else lurking like the tires needs to be rebalanced again (3rd time) or the discs might actually solve this.

Well see, will post the results later...

• Like Like x 1