Voltage Drop?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Tricky-Dicky, Jun 12, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Any electrical buffs on here that can answer this question?
    I am not daft when it comes to wiring and electrical s in general but i am certainly no expert and cant get my head around this...i have recently set up a solar charging system and on finishing the bike side of the wiring i am now a little confused about a voltage drop.
    Feed from charger to bike battery measures 12.8v at the plug which goes direct to battery and battery voltage measures the same yet the electronic voltage gauge on the bike shows 11.7 when ignition is on also measured with the same meter as the rest of the testing is done with so my question is with the Lucas RITA ignition system cause this much of a voltage drop and why?

Obviously engine not running.

2. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    1.1 volts? I'd have thought that's a pretty low voltage draw through the ignition system. But I'm certainly no good with the wiggly amps shit!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Kind of agree with Jack. Sounds to me like you are exceeding the amperage output of the solar panel. ...J.D.

4. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Its just the RITA that powered up and an LED gauge that it and there is a constant 12.8v supplied to the battery but still the drop just seems a lot considering the system is just powered up without proving sparks.
    The current draw should also be minimal as it has the bike battery as well so a fully charged 7 amp hour battery as well as the charger which apparently is rated at 10a....but the panel output amp wise is unknown.

Oh and if i disconnect the charger there is no change.???

5. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    The battery float voltage is regulated by the output voltage of the charger. The higher that voltage, the lower the amperage draw. Ohms law. Volts X Amps = Wattage. "And God said The wattage will try to remain constant". If you only start with 12.8 off the charger, it will go down from there. Again. the lower the voltage, the higher the amperage. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 2