Victory is finished

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by OnlySon, Jan 9, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. OnlySon

OnlySon Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Scotland. UK
    #41 OnlySon, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    Well. It has arrived.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slightly bigger than the Scrambler o_O

[​IMG]

Handles very well for a cruiser as I was expecting to be a lot less confident on it initially. Still breaking it in so so big guns yet but very impressed so far. Fit and finish is first rate and the paintwork is beautiful.

• Like Like x 5
  2. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    I must agree it looks a beauty for sure, enjoy Onlyson

• Like Like x 1
  3. H.O.

H.O. Noble Member

Nov 28, 2015
    ARDROSSAN, AYRSHIRE
    Yes, I like that too!
    Lovely shade of red, beautiful.

• Like Like x 1
  4. John Will

John Will Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Bury St Edmunds.
    Test ride one over a year ago, well impressed but the trade in price for the Tiger was not enough. Test rode the Indian Scout in October, hated it so tried the Gunner which was good but the T120 one as I decided cruisers not my thing. ENJOY.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BiKenG

BiKenG Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Surrey
    #45 BiKenG, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    I beg to completely differ. I'm new so maybe shouldn't be commenting, but I've ridden both Diavel and XDiavel and until recently owned a V-Rod Muscle and dynamically they are streets apart. The V-Rod is trying to be a more sporty cruiser, but the Diavels are sports bikes in slightly cruiserish clothing. I don't even think Ducati believe they will seriously dent H-D's real customer base who want a cruiser, that by definition has no sporty pretensions.

The (X)Diavel is a different animal altogether and although it really is not a cruiser, it is a very valid concept, a laid back style that performs very well. But please, Ducati's sales in the US are a drop in the ocean compared to H-D's and the latter will not be losing sleep over the few H-D owners who may be defecting to the Diavel.

And that's just from the performance angle. The truth is, most H-D owners are so because it is H-D. They buy into the lifestyle. Even Polaris have had to admit defeat when trying to compete with their often superior products but that have no name with all important US heritage. Indian on the other hand has the name and heritage to compete head on and H-D WILL be keeping a very close eye on this very real competitor. But Ducati with the (X)Diavel? Who cares. H-D certainly won't.

Sports bike riders just don't get it. Cruiser riders are simply not looking for sports bike performance so the (X)Diavel holds no appeal. I ride both types of bike, albeit differently. Cruiser riders aren't trying to 'get their knee down'. That's just not why they ride bikes. I love all forms of motorcycling. I like to dash about on fast bikes and I sometimes like to cruise. They're different. But the (X)Diavel seriously denting H-D's sales? Sorry, but that's laughable.

Me, I love the XDiavel and had thought of getting one, but instead will be developing something special, just to suit me :)

6. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Agree with you, i love the XDiavel too;),but it is very early days for Ducati in the cruiser market and there 1st attempt at a cruiser (and in my mind it is a cruiser) is fantastic, I'm not saying they will bankrupt HD:rolleyes: but they will be keeping a close eye on how the XDiavel sells, i love cruisers and in my mind if they start making them more powerful and handle better I'm all for it:)! Not all cruiser riders want to just bimble along all the time ,but and this is the big but..The riding position of a cruiser gives you the option to bimble along when the mood takes you..

• Like Like x 1
  7. BiKenG

BiKenG Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Surrey
    We both obviously have similar tastes Dougie, but we are in a minority. For almost all cruiser riders, performance and handling are way down the priority list. Image is everything.

I'm not against either view, but they are very different and there's not much crossover. Trust me, most H-D aficionados have no affection even for the V-Rod and look down their nose at those bikes and their riders as the V-Rod is simply not considered a real H-D. Hence its low sales volumes compared to the other 'real' Harleys. An (X)Diavel won't even be on their radar. Much as I love that Ducati, any threat it poses to traditional H-D sales is insignificant and Ducati would have to grow massively for that to change and it simply ain't gonna happen. For one thing, they don't and never can have that American heritage so essential to the American cruiser rider.

Ducati aren't wrong and will be well aware of the situation, but full marks to them for producing such an awesome bike in the XDiavel (never liked the original Diavel if truth be told - like riding a bath tub, that handles quite well :)

But I'm also smitten by Triumph's new Bobber. There's too many good bikes these days.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    If the XDiavel had been available when i bought my NR special.. and If it was the same price:( i would have had a hard decision to make..i did love the NR Special though:cool::).Agree the Ducati is not going to bother the traditional Harley sales, but i can see V Rod owners who can afford to spend more going for the XDiavel

9. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Don't forget the Indain Scout, crackin bike to ride, definitely not cruiser. Still want one of these.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Never tried one, but it has a lovely looking engine, but i think I'd have to do something with the mudguards

11. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Awesome looking bike that, looks solid. powerful and great big lump of loveliness

12. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Had a test ride a couple of years ago, when they first came out. Convinced me I wanted to move away from sportsbikes. If it had been dual seat, I might have stretched the pennies to get one.

Go like absolute stink, 100bhp sat up is plenty.

13. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

[​IMG]

oh, oh, oh, a blue & white one !!!!!

• Like Like x 3
  14. John Will

John Will Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Bury St Edmunds.
    Slow speed handling better on the know defunct Gunner.

15. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

The one victory I rode, think it was a hammer, not sure. Front end was so raked out, the front wheel wanted to flop to one side at low speeds !!!! Nearly dropped it 30 seconds into the test ride. Not a good start.

16. OnlySon

OnlySon Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Scotland. UK
    Interesting quote from a Polaris employee that was dragged off a Victory owners forum. Naturally, I cannot guarantee it is 100% legitimate but it does seem pretty authentic.

". It's been a financial drag that was always a topic at departmental meetings. Taking a risk and going into the sales figures you imagine being in the power sports business and dumping more money into something we knew years ago had to reach or exceed sales of 40,000 to 50,000 units a year to be financially successful and topping out a few years back a fraction of that? And as far as promoting it? In house marketing, outsourced marketing, little change in sales. Arlen Ness signature series, very little change in sales. A futuristic model that was cutting edge design in luxury touring and never came close to justifying the cost to develop it, tool it and build it that performed way better than the competition, little change in sales. Shows, marketing crews on the road constantly desperately pushing Ride One And You'll Own One with Gunny leading the way, still very little change in sales! JD Powers gives it awards, Consumer Reports gives it awards, topping out road tests and in reviews, no change in sales. So it make a dollar or two and the current ownership wants us to spend an additional 3 or four dollars to give them what they want. The only gripe was about the clunky (but over engineered) transmission. After the complaints of the noise in the early ones the improved one comes in 2011 models, STILL no change in sales. The pendulum kept swinging in the 10,000 range. You call that success? How much profit do you think there is in a single unit? What do you think it takes to produce that unit? Year after year hoping it would garner the income needed to go farther but after 18 years it was barely pulling itself. How do think everyone felt pulling the plug on what we thought was better than the competition and better than anything else out there? It was like donating blood at work but your body isn't producing as much as your donating. We had been expecting this call for a couple years now."

Been blasting around now for a week or so on the Judge and it really (for what is is) a grin inducing and capable machine with stunningly good looks. This however, matters not a jot however to my Wide Glide riding friend that admits that his new H doesn't handle as good, nor is as comfortable , or has been as reliable (yes, already) as his old 2006 Bonneville America. The thing is though it is a Harley Davidson and that is all that matters.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Dougie D

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    i'd be kicking off, free jacket at least!! and a kick in the Ar*e for whoever did the pdi

18. dickydido

dickydido Senior Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Wiltshire
    I bought a brand new Electra Glide, Evolution engined model.....that was a long time back......that was when I was wooing the now Mrs dickydido......she was no biker chick and needed the sofa on the back to make her feel safe and comfortable.....

....well, the wooing worked, we got married.......but the Electra Glide was a heap of sh 1 t and got sold not long after the wedding........I had a Briggs and Stratton engined lawn mower at the time.....the engineering on that was basic......and that's being polite.......BUT .......it was better engineered than that bike......

....I swore I'd never ever buy another Harley, I would not have one even if you gave me it.......just what do people see in them???

I am sad to see the demise of Victory.......and I really hope the Indian brand succeeds.......I was so tempted to buy an Indian.....the fit, finish, quality and looks are to die for.......really must get a test ride organised......

Cheers

dickydido