Vibration Noise

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Colin McVey, May 30, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Colin McVey

Colin McVey New Member

Jul 24, 2020
    Mauchline, Ayrshire
    Hi Guys, I’m after some help or advise, I’ve suddenly developed a loud vibration from my sprint. At around 2500 to 3000 rpm a loud vibration can be felt and heard on the bike, after this it clears, and running at speed it’s ok. No loss in performance etc, but it’s annoying the life out of me.

It’s just done 13k and has recently had new chain and sprockets, brake discs and pads (all round) rear hub clean and rebuild. Chain is perfect, no tight links and tightened to correct level. I have around 1 link of play back and forth is I move the wheel whilst the bike is in gear. On the stand running it, it can’t be heard, yes the chain and clutch bang about but this could be expected with no load.

My thoughts are towards the clutch but is there something I’m missing? I’ve checked all the body work etc and double checked everything I had off (I’m a mechanics to trade so fairly competent)

Anyone see this before?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

Bit left field this one, but mine's been doing it since I greased the rear wheel bearings, and I can't stop it. I know what it is though-it's the chainguard resonating. Whip off the guard and take a ride out. May not be that, but worth a go. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Colin McVey

Colin McVey New Member

Jul 24, 2020
    Mauchline, Ayrshire
    I’ll take some tools home tomorrow night and whip it off and test drive. It’s doing my head in that I can’t pin point the source of the noise

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Colin McVey

Colin McVey New Member

Jul 24, 2020
    Mauchline, Ayrshire
    Gave that a try and no better. Thought it might have been a missfire but changed the plugs and still no better. It’s baffling me

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Guest

:confused::( all l can say now then is good luck mate...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    When you changed the sprockets did the front one have the damping rubber often seen on many bikes. Since the vibration started since you did the work it seems logical to link it to something you have done/changed and you have already eliminated the chain guard suggested by @Smilinjack
    Go over every nut and bolt and make sure they are tight/torqued to spec where applicable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Colin McVey

Colin McVey New Member

Jul 24, 2020
    Mauchline, Ayrshire
    It didn’t have the rubber parts as seen on the other bikes. I was thinking this so I’m gonna go over and re-torque everything I’ve had off as a method of elimination

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. BonnieRed

BonnieRed Member

Sep 10, 2019
    British Columbia
    Hi Colin, I am curious as to whether you finally found the problem that caused the vibration, because my 2018 Speedmaster as a vibration after a tire change and wondering what you found if anything as far as the reason for the pulsating vibration at 25k rpm in 4th gear. Any luck with that?
    Cheers, Sandra

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Lol I'm not surprised it vibrates at
    25000 rpm Sandra.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Yes again check the wheel alignment and balancing.
    Joe.

11. BonnieRed

BonnieRed Member

Sep 10, 2019
    British Columbia
    yea I see that I made a typo and it should read 2500 rpm. :)

• Like Like x 1