Tiger 800 Vibey Buzz From Tiger

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by crispey, Aug 16, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Its a difficult one this, trying to explain a noise!
    It started on the way back from the GMU and I took Tracey out this afternoon for an hour ( not been feeling great so ride time has been low)
    Its a noise, sort of like the fan hitting the plastic surround or the radiator guard vibrating. I have eliminated both possibilities. Its intermittent when it starts it's not constant, you know the noise the triple engine makes on deceleration well its similar but a bit deeper.seems to happen when engine is hot, stationery and moving
    As I said it happened on the way back from the GMU but steve lovatt didnt hear it.
    I am hoping someone might have experienced this as it seems like one of those things you can't diagnose unless you've come across it.
    I'd like to get a recording of it but its so intermittent it could take months
    bikes a 2012 800 with 12,000 on clock and just had 12000 service
    cheers all

2. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Yeah I've checked all that, unless it's something under the tank. Trouble is I'm away working for 5 days now so will have to leave it, when I get back I'll try and take her out for a longer run and see if it is more permanent. It's definitely something that happens once warmed up.

3. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Just took my tiger out. When I went to start her there was nothing! Lights were fine but wouldn't turn over. Switched off then on again everything primed and she started no probs, but noticed fuel primed but said it was empty, reserve light on, I knew there was at least 80 miles in tank, anyways went and filled her up, restarted and all fine. Took her out for about 60 miles and the noise/vibration seems to have gone! Hopefully !!

• Like Like x 1
  4. BritMickUSA

BritMickUSA Banned

Jan 12, 2018
    USA
    Sounds like your tank was empty & it's the fuel pump that was sucking the last drops of petrol from the tank......................so your estimation of there being 80miles in the tank was based on what???

5. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Cheers Mick, I knew there was fuel in there due to opening the cap and seeing it in there. Also the noise happened at any time regardless of the amount of fuel in the tank. It did return and I removed the tank to have a mosey around the rocker box and surrounding area, there was a load of road crud in the general area. Anyway long story short I did a big clean up and sprayed the area with some lube put everything back and it seemed to have cleared up and has stayed away. Can’t pin it down to any one thing I’m afraid, no solution but a cure!
    Thanks for posting as it reminded me I never put the outcome down

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. jeck

jeck New Member

May 10, 2013
    I have a 2017 Tiger 800 which has an intermittent buzz when accelerating briskly through the 3 - 4000 rpm range, which appears to be a rough spot. I traced this to a rattling cowl on the back of the clocks. I was at the dealers for a service and mentioned this. We went round all the bikes and compared my rattling cowl to the other bikes at the dealership and they all had a loose fitting cowl. So this was OK. Worth a look for your noise problem.

• Like Like x 2
  7. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Cheers! funnily enough I was out on her tonight and the noise has come back so I think I’ll have the plastic off again tomorrow and see if that’s the cause!

8. jeck

jeck New Member

May 10, 2013
    If you can induce the buzz on the move you can just put your hand on the clock surround at the back and it will damp out the buzz..

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. crispey

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Had another run out last night and It seems to have gone again.