Sprint Using ecu tune

Discussion in 'Sprint & Trophy' started by Herbos, Jan 2, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
    Mate am not brave enuf play with the maps.just want reset the tps.an use for error codes or balance throttle bodies.am a Google technician.no proper mechanic.sum guy says if you adjust the idle through ecu.you won't be able reset the tps

• Like Like x 1
  2. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    OK Herbos,

A couple of pointer's, changing the map's, either for someone else's, or doing it your self. Nearly all Triumph original genuine maps are very very rich in the upper rev / speed ranges and too lean for good power in the lower and especially mid rev ranges, so its fairly safe to cut 3 to 5 % from 6,000 rpm upwards, if you add 1 or 2 % to lower revs you will be closer to good power. My America had nearly 8% cut from a good portion of the fuel tables @ 7,000 rpm range and had nearly 4% added just above 2,000 revs.
    So cutting back small increments above mid range and adding small increments in the low 1,500 - 2,500 rev range is fairly safe, in the old imperial measurements scale's it equates to one jet size up or down. Very safe play zone.

If you go the total mapping change. Just compare to your current map and if it fits in with the above recommendations it will be fairly safe to go ahead.

Cheers capt.

3. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
    Is true that If I mess with my idle I can't reset my tps

4. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
    To befare mine smells really rich on start up.which I 've read can be cos of vacuum leaks

5. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    No Herbos,

They are unrelated, and unlikely to upset each other, TPS if set by tuneecu may raise or lower idle a tiny amount, but adjust idle by adjustment knob won't affect where the ecu picks up start point ! Start point being where the ecu is going to run the fueling map from, this is the throttle openings in the carby/injector bodies.

6. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
    See I've read in the manual the triumph Sprint idle as be setup through the ecu

7. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Capt, remember that this guy has a 3 cylinder Sprint RS, not a Bonneville, so I think I'd be right in saying that there is no knob for setting the idle, it's done electronically by the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve), so the process for setting idle on the newer 3 cylinder injected bikes in quite different to a Bonneville derivative.

• Like Like x 1
  8. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    It does have to be set through the ECU herbos, using the IACV and Tune ECU; However without Triumph's proprietary diagnostic tool I think you may find the method is different using TuneECU - not done it yet so can't be 100% sure but from memory the Triumph manual talks about reading the exhaust out as part of the process, which can can't do with TuneECU as there is no probe.

9. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
    I've read you can adjust it but it messes with resetting the tos

10. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
    Just goin start with testing for vacuum leaks an resetting the tps.See where that gets me.when I can find time

11. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
    Is it the iacv you reset or just the tps

12. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
    May be I should admit defeat and take it a garage :( ....brakes bearings and forkseals and chain and sprockets.even change me own tyres.didn't realise what I was getting into lol

13. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
    Best thing is I bought the lonlec cable

14. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
  15. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
  16. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
    Do I dare lol.want to learn but scared of fucking it up lol

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jody

Jody Active Member

Oct 9, 2016
    Nuneaton
    I reset the ISCV and TPS on my Speed Triple the other day....

Don't know about your bike but on mine I had to remove tank and airbox....

You can run it through the tests in Tuneecu to see if they are set in the correct position though without removing anything....

18. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
    How do you know if they're set right lol

19. Jody

Jody Active Member

Oct 9, 2016
    Nuneaton
    I did write a long list of how to do it then noticed yours looked different to mine (I think) in the idle control motor area

20. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
    To be fare I read a bit about it just focusing on me zx9 at the minute.then goon jump on the sprint afterwards