Upgrade From A Speed Triple 2013 To 2016 S (the Newer One)

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by SuperHans, Mar 12, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Hi,

I'm leaning towards getting myself a new bike this season and have come across a Speed Triple S 2016 (the updated model).

Now, I haven't tried out any of the updated models and compared, so hoping some of you might have and have some input to share.

My bike today is a Speed triple 2013 ABS, SC project, TuneECU map etc
    Around 19000 miles.

Things I wonder about before opening the wallet and spending the hard earned cash is...

Do you think its a good upgrade?
    Is the seating position any different?
    I do service the bike myself but there don't seem to be a Haynes or workshop manual to get, how different are they compared to the 2013?
    Is there a good way to get hold of a workshop manual?

I read that its now possible to hook up the 2016 models with TuneECU but u need a BT version of the ODB2 cable. Any of you tried a new map on this model via Tune ECU?

Any other feedback is more than welcome :)

2. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    I had a 2010 model S3 and test rode the 2016 model. Didn't like it! had to be in sport/track mode to get a comparable throttle response . Clocks seemed dated compared with others so I left it, just wasn;t much improvement . When when the 2018 (RS) model came out I rode it and thought it was great ! I don't think the 2016 model is worth changing to. In fact many on here have gone back to earlier models due to the better throttle response and more annaloge feel compared with the ride by wire options.

• Useful Useful x 2
  3. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Thanks for your input Reggie.
    I was under the impression, from reading reviews, that the throttle response was better. But maybe its as you mention, its needs to be in track mode.
    What did you think about the seating position?

Isn't the RS model very quite similar to the 2016 other than a few more ponies?
    Or maybe they changed and tweaked a lot more than the specs tells on the Speedy 2018- models.

4. Gled

Gled Active Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester (UK)
    At the risk of stating the obvious, could you get a test ride on the 2016 Speedy? Best way to answer your questions IMHO.
    I have a 2016 R and love it, however I haven’t ridden the earlier versions for comparison.

5. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Triumph garages and stores are slowly disappearing in Sweden it seems, every year there is fewer and fewer. So its actually hard to find a store to testdrive used and new bikes these days.

Just out of curiosity, did you testdrive and compare the R and S and made an active choice to get the R?

6. RSReggie

RSReggie Active Member

Apr 9, 2019
    North West UK
    Hi Superhans, as far as I recall the bike was confortable, probably had the comfort seat option like the RS ???? I just did not gel with the 2016R like I did with the RS (I was actuially quite lookinng forwatrd to the upgrade to 2016R until I rode it !) When I rode the S3 RS I also rode the 765 RS . Both bikes handled incredibly and seemed like nice modern current bikes. I preferred the Speed over the Street but both had amazing handling on the day and good performance. Is best to ride one before you buy .as mentioned.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gled

Gled Active Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester (UK)
    Hi Superhans,

I only test-rode the R but I believe the S is a very capable road bike. I wanted the updated Ohlins and Brembo’s.

Gled

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Danimal

Danimal Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    Usa
    I had a 2011 and bought a 2016 after test riding. Really doesn’t have any more performance than your bike but handles much better at the cost of some comfort. It’s not uncomfortable at all but my 2011 was the most comfortable bike I’ve ever owned. If you’re like me and love your speed triple but would like it to handle better and love bikes that feel slim and compact you would be happy with the upgrade. It’s pretty much still the same bike it’s been since 2011 so your manual would work fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Thanks for your input.
    Did you come from a vanilla (non R) 2011 to a S?

Is the riding position any different due to the new tank and saddle? It looks like you sit more "in the bike" with the new tank and saddle.
    Also, have you had any hickups with the new tech that was introduced with the 2016 bikes?

10. Danimal

Sep 9, 2018
    Usa
    I did have an s and have an r now but I’m sure the s is fine. I think the better handling mostly comes from the change in rider position. You sit a little more forward because of the new tank and the bars are a little lower so there’s more weight on the front. This is my first bike with electronics and I’ve had zero issues. I like the lighter throttle, the clutch pull is lighter too, the transmission shifts smoother, and ithe bike changes direction faster. All little changes that for me add up to a nicer bike to ride

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    #11 SuperHans, Apr 13, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    Alright so got myself a Speedy S 2016 and have mixed feelings about the "upgrade".

Haven't done that many miles (had to service it first and get some new rubber), but this is my initial feelings towards the upgrade.

Pros:
    * Design
    * Better seating position
    * Feels a bit "lighter" as in more nimble and just not so heavy and bulky as my 2013.
    * Decent quality feel.
    * All the cool new electronic features that feels great to have but I prob won't use.
    * OEM heated grips

Cons:
    * Performance wise the 5HP upgrade isn't really noticeable
    * It hesitates (turned off all the electronic stuff) when I'm trying to do a wheelie.
    * The practicality and seat design (having to use a key to access under seat).
    * Not that big of an upgrade.
    * Strange high pitch sound when the ignition is on but the bike hasn't been started, apparently its normal on the new drive by wire bikes.

Summary:
    Its a decent upgrade, I do like how the new bike handles and I'd say its nicer around the track than my old bike.
    I got it for £5500 with 4000 miles on the clock, but it was in desperate need for some TLC.
    Spent around 1000 on new tires, fluids, filters, tankgrips(snakeskin), heated grips, Arrow lowboy and a PC5 (thanks @crr32)

I've bumped into a few questions when going through the bike.
    Maybe some can tell me if its normal or not?

1. The drivers seat is "loose" as in its a tiny gap between the tank and the seat and you can wiggle it up and down a little. Maybe its normal. I might stick some foam around the bottom of the tank to get the seat to have a snugg and firm fit.
    2. The tank is quite close to the frame, if i wiggle it a little it will touch the frame and I can see that it has.
    I wonder what it will look like after a few wheelies.
    3. With the PC5 (not fitted) what will happen with the standard map(track, road, sport).

I checked the throttle bodies today (cuz during start it just sounded a bit rough.
    Did a reset adaptation too and well see if it makes a difference.

I did realise that it hasn't had the recall done either, so need to find a Triumph garage that can do that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Danimal

Sep 9, 2018
    Usa
    Yes the loose seat is normal
    Tank I’m not sure, mine doesn’t rub anywhere.
    When I put on my arrow lowboy my bike I lost some power and didn’t run as good till I put on the pc and dyno tuned the bike
    I also put a lithium battery in, takes 9lbs off the front
    I can snap my bike up in second with no clutch at 55-60 mph without a problem and you can wheelie in track mode so you get abs and traction control too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Thanks for sharing feedback and knowledge of the bike @Danimal .
    I did adjust the back plate where the drivers seat is attached to and got a little more of a snug fit.
    And now i'm really looking forward getting the lowboy and PCV system installed on the bike :grinning:.

I do use the clutch when its wheelie time and that's when it looses power. Feels like the TC jumps in an kills it but it doesn't happen every time. But will see what happens with the PCV

I have been looking at lithium batteries in the past but after seeing an old Ducati catch fire (and seems like the lithium battery started it) I kinda left it.
    Will have a look at it again.

14. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    I just realised why my tank rubs against the frame when I hit bumps and so on.
    After installing stuff on the bike I do realise that the former owner must have been a raving "quick and easy" guy that didn't pay attention to detail or parts at all.

He is the kind of guy that prob has a handfull of nuts over after doing stuff and just throws them away.
    Where the front bolts (next to the battery) that is used to hold the tank in place is located there is suposed to be a pair of oval spacers where the rubebr is. This lifts the tank up a few millimetres and don't make it as loose as it is.

Have ordered a pair...

Some people do have a complete lack of self-awareness, just glad all the other nuts and bolts seem untouched.

• Like Like x 1