Unstable low speeds

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Adamdaniels, Feb 27, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Adamdaniels

Adamdaniels Member

Feb 27, 2016
    London
    eveing all,

I just bought a Daytona 600 2004 model with 12k on the clock.

It feels very unstable at low speeds (it has only done 400 miles in the past 4 years) I'm guessing squared off tired but anything else to check before I go and and spend £400?

Cheers all

2. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

If that's for a pair of tyres, them bloody expensive tyres !!!! £215 on ebay for a pair of Angel GT's and £20 for fitting!!!

But if it feels crap and on 5 year + old rubber, time for a new set any ways.

My previous bike came with old rubber, kept trying to fall over on every roundabout, thought bike was awful, but put new rubber on, and it was a revelation.

3. Adamdaniels

Adamdaniels Member

Feb 27, 2016
    London
    Sold, new rubber on Monday it is, any recommendations , price not an issue, occasional commute in London and a weekend play?

Was concerned about head bearings, in for a full service and fresh rubber seeing as the last one was in 2011

Tyres are probably 5 or 6 years old

4. PETER CLARKE

PETER CLARKE Senior Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    What are you feeling at low speed ? have you checked tyre pressures?

5. Adamdaniels

Adamdaniels Member

Feb 27, 2016
    London
    Preasures are good the only way I can discribe it is as if your stuck in a rut and you being dragged or pulled. Something just isn't right and rubber is the best place to start as they are over 6 years old judging by the wear and mileage on the MOT

6. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Have you checked rear wheel adjustment ?

7. Adamdaniels

Adamdaniels Member

Feb 27, 2016
    London
    Not yet, but defo feels as if the issue is coming from the front end

8. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Angel GT's as in my link. Great all-round tyre, good mileage, great wet weather grip, best sports touring tyre out there. A lot rate michelin pr's, bit I dislike the squishy feeling from all the sipes, plus they ate an ugly tread.
    My favourite sports tyre is the latest michelin pilot powers, great tyre but done in 2500 miles on the gixxer.

9. Eyore

Eyore Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2015
    Ireland
    I've been using Bridgestone BT023s for years since they came out but fitted Angel GTs to the YZF1000 today,gotthem scrubbed in nicely today so looking forward to seeing what the feel and grip are like in the wet.
    Anyway getting back to the Daytona , definitely fit new rubber if the tyres are 4/5 yrs old , also check head bearings and
    triple clamp bolts and check tyre sizes on the bike as people have habits of fitting wrong sizes which can make a bike feel all wrong.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Time to get the trolley jack out and raise the front. It does sound a bit like head bearings but it would be the same at any speed.

11. Adamdaniels

Adamdaniels Member

Feb 27, 2016
    London
    Yeah it feels fine at high speeds just low filter speeds . New rubber Monday afternoon and I'll let you know. Think I'm going to go for the Michelin pilot 4's had them on my zx12 and loved them

12. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Another vote for steering head bearings here.Get the front end off the ground and turn the bars slowly lock to lock.

13. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    You defo need to check front end then.

14. Adamdaniels

Adamdaniels Member

Feb 27, 2016
    London
    Will do, paranoia is kicking in now lol! Need rubber, full service and possibly head bearings my bargain is not much of a Bargain anymore but at least I know it's good to go !

15. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    What price happiness?

16. Adamdaniels

Adamdaniels Member

Feb 27, 2016
    London
    £2500
    £240 tyres
    £300 full service

17. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Cheap at half the price! What the hell does that mean any way??

18. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    I smell a trade in for new model

19. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    what about fork oil levels? uneven levels can cos a feeling of being stuck in a rut.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Adamdaniels

Adamdaniels Member

Feb 27, 2016
    London
    Not sure what you mean mate