Featured Uncle Sam’s Scorecard

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Callumity, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Meanwhile, taking flak is generally a good indicator of being over the target.

2. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    My point, as stated ad nauseas to the Right On Crew, is that a process is underway to review the probity of the election. Some people can’t get off the Orange Man Bad gig and can’t see a bigger picture (pot, kettle!) by rubbishing allegations that have more traction than they care to admit.

I am spectating cheerfully. Nothing on here changes anything!

3. Russell Stroup

Russell Stroup Noble Member

Nov 10, 2020
    Pittsburgh Pa
    You’re right and I apologize for poking the bear, but the bear shouldn’t act like he’s a neutral bear when he’s a right wing bear. It’s ok, just don’t act like it’s not obvious.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Except I’m a social libertarian. Fiscally more Adam Smith. The US is a foreign country, an ally but our interests don’t always align. I genuinely don’t have a dog in the fight but I do believe in hearing both sides, not prejudging and treating CNN & Co as deeply partisan.

5. figwold

figwold First Class Member

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    Cal you really are a conundrum. You claim to inhabit a moral high ground including claiming to be as neutral an observer as exists. Yet you routinely rubbish the established media (which you absolutely pre-judge) and those of us who read and believe that their intentions and reporting are honourable.

In your response above you openly state your view that CNN & Co are deeply partisan. And yet, without a hint of irony, you seem to have imbibed the complete bollocks on conspiracy and alt-right sites or from the likes of Giuliani and Powell.

You may claim not to have a dog in this fight, but you certainly seem to trust the intentions and claims of the jackals.

Have you ever recognised that Trump has been deliberately and persistently undermining the credibility of the process for deeper, and deeply worrying, personal reasons? And how important is it not to allow him to do so without a very high standard of evidential support, a standard he has been nowhere near hitting so far in the opinion of many Republicans including his own Attorney General?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    At the extreme of that view you could say Creationism deserves to be heard alongside the Theory of Evolution. Not something I am sure you would subscribe to. Some things are clearly nonsense and should not be given the oxygen of airtime.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Oh I don’t think the provenance of them Project Veritas recordings of CNN editorial conferences is in dispute; just the manner of their recording. But, hey, the bias is all with me!

And I have never claimed the moral high ground. The only person that paraded their morality was, er?

As for extrapolating the ridiculous in an attempt to appear reasonable......creationism?!

8. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Let’s put it another way.....

In 1973 the Israeli’s were comprehensively surprised by the Arab attack; especially by the Egyptians and their ingenuity in using Canal water to erode Israeli sand defences.

The Israelis had all the intelligence. They just refused to believe it. As Anwar Sadat observed, “They suffer from a wanton conceit.”

I just see there might be parallels in too readily dismissing things as ‘just Trump’. It might be more significant like Yom Kippur.

9. figwold

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    Alternatively, this example of Occam’s razor (from that established pinko-media site Wikipedia) might better resonate with what we can all see going on in the US right now:

For example, if an individual makes supernatural claims that leprechauns were responsible for breaking a vase, the simpler explanation would be that he is mistaken, but ongoing ad hoc justifications (e.g. "... and that's not me on the film; they tampered with that, too") successfully prevent outright disproval. This endless supply of elaborate competing explanations, called saving hypotheses, cannot be ruled out – except by using Occam's razor.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Russell Stroup

Nov 10, 2020
    Pittsburgh Pa
    • Like Like x 5
  11. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    That's my state and "my" governor. :grinning: While I often disagree with Ducey (I've probably e-mailed him more than half a dozen times in 2020), I was really glad to read about his actions and words in this instance. Yes, this is how elected officials should act. Thanks, Russell. :)

• Like Like x 4
  12. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    ‘These are two typical barriers to thinking. One, a received opinion held out of laziness and fashion, not deeply rooted in knowledge or reason, which lashes out at dissent with crude mockery. The other, a tribal clinging to a forlorn hope, held in place by fear of discovering that the truth is much less comforting than the illusion.

In both cases, the mind shuts down when it gets anywhere near the truth. In both cases, it is noticeable that the person involved does not deploy facts or reason himself.’

Not my words but strangely apposite. How to think is more instructive than what to think. I don’t know if the allegations are baseless (the CNN refrain) but I let the process run rather than cling to my own belief system. I can’t be disappointed. You might be.

13. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    #273 MadMrB, Dec 4, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    If this isn't fraud it is still illegal...

14. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Now come on, get with the program, it’s ALL faked footage/testimony from thousands (millions?) of bad losers.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    • In Michigan, the Trump campaign filed a federal lawsuit to block the certification of results in Wayne County, citing complaints from poll watchers - but this suit was dropped after a similar challenge was rejected at state-level
    • In Arizona, the campaign filed a lawsuit claiming some legal votes were rejected, citing problems with voting machines - but Arizona's Secretary of State said this was "grasping at straws", and the suit has been dropped
    • In Georgia, a lawsuit to stop the count in Chatham County was lodged, alleging problems with ballot processing - but it was rejected by a judge who said there was "no evidence" of improper ballot mixing
    • In Nevada, a suit asks that Mr Trump be named the winner in the state or that the results be void with no winner certified, alleging illegal voting. The suit is still pending, but legal experts have said it's unlikely to change the state's outcome as it repeats charges already rejected
    • In Wisconsin, Trump's legal team has filed their latest lawsuit which targets around 220,000 ballots they say were unlawfully cast - the Biden campaign say the suit is "completely baseless and not rooted in facts on the ground"
    Wisconsin underwent a partial recount in Dane and Milwaukee counties, and Georgia had a state-wide recount - both confirmed Mr Biden as the winner.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2020-54724960

• Like Like x 1
  16. Russell Stroup

Nov 10, 2020
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Should be investigated and should be ez to investigate, if it’s not ez to figure out what votes were cast at this time in this district, then that’s where the problem lies. Everything you do nowadays requires a login w/password and we know how ez computers can track your every move....

17. figwold

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    #278 figwold, Dec 4, 2020
    Just read the rebuttal from Gabriel Sterling in Russell’s link, as the rest of us do.

And yes, they are all bad losers.

18. figwold

Dec 12, 2016
    England
    Already well rebutted by Russell, but even if it wasn’t this is neither fraud nor illegal. It’s just a video of a lawyer taking great pains to point out that she isn’t acting as a lawyer (I’m sure there are sensible reasons why she would do that) pointing to things on a video which neither she nor we understand and saying that other unnamed people who also don’t understand them think it’s dodgy.

Now either it is or it isn’t, and the only ways to tell are:

1 Raise them with the (as it happens Republican) election officials. Done and they say it’s all good.

2 Challenge in court if you still think it isn’t.

Complaining endlessly on social media about something you cannot possibly understand or prove is both pointless and damaging to the USA and democracy.

• Like Like x 2
  19. learningtofly

learningtofly He’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!
    Subscriber

Sep 25, 2018
    Hertfordshire
    #280 learningtofly, Dec 4, 2020
    That's fair enough. However, when you have the time you might want to reconsider whether your posts on this subject reflect the kind of neutrality that you now espouse. I would suggest not.

Indeed, you seem to be completely ignoring the fact that about 40 lawsuits have been thrown out of court due to total lack of evidence, and more and more key figures within the Republican party, Justice Department, state Governors, state judiciaries, state legislatures, etc are now finding their cojones again and are themselves stating that the allegations of fraud are baseless. That's aside from the fact that the allegations in the lawsuits actually bear no relation to the fantastical nonsense that's been spouted in public by Trump and his deranged lawyer.

You carry on, though :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2