Touring UK Trip - August

Discussion in 'Rideouts, Trackdays, Touring & Spotted' started by MattGaydon, Mar 22, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    The Jurrasic coastline in Dorset is stunning as is Cornwall and Devon.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    I grew up in Plymouth so know the south west coast very well!! I'd love to move back!!

We'd love for as many of you to join us along our way so if we're anywhere near you come for a ride!

Haven't got many bike friends around here so with out this sounding too much like lonely hearts ad please feel free to join us!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Aaaaw!! When you have you're licence back we'll meet up and go for a spin! I'm not far

4. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
  5. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Sounds good!!

6. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    It's a nice idea!! I just don't plan too far ahead these days. I have turned 'falling into a bucketful of tits and coming out sucking my thumbs' into an art form!!:(

• Like Like x 1
  7. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    So just thought I'd pop up the itinerary of the trip...if anyone wants to join for a bit of go for a pint we'd love to meek some of you folks...

8th Aug - Guildford to Deal (Kent)
    9th - Deal to Ipswich
    10th - Ipswich to Hull
    11th - Hull to Newcastle
    12th - Newcastle to Carlisle
    13th - Carlisle to Kendal
    14th - Kendal to Liverpool
    15th - Liverpool to Aberystwyth (that's taken me about 3 days to work out how to spell!)
    16th - Aberystwyth - Bridgend
    17th - Bridgend to St Ives
    18th - St Ives to Plymouth
    19th - Plymouth to Kingswear (short day to stay with firends)
    20th - Kingswear to Southampton
    21st - Southampton to home

If anyone is along or near the route and fancies a ride or a drink let me know!!
    The missus is taking Mod 1 as I type so fingers crossed!

8. Scoot65

Scoot65 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2015
    DURHAM
    I could join you on the 12th - Newcastle to Carlisle leg of the journey (will have to confirm nearer the time).......... There's also a Triumph dealership in Newcastle should you want / need to drop into.

9. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Possibly meet up for the last leg on the 21st - subject to me not being on holiday!

10. mappster

mappster Member

Jan 24, 2017
    North Wales
    Looks good. I hope all goes well with the MOD 1

11. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Sounds good...let us know closer to the time!!

12. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Absolutely! Would be a nice way to end the trip!

13. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    She passed!!! Mod 2 is next week now!

• Like Like x 5
  14. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Like Scoot65 I could join you for 12th it's a Saturday and I don't work Saturday

• Like Like x 1
  15. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Sounds good...will be good to have you guys join us!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    Ambitious plan Matt, just thinking about it creams me. A plan B would be to ride a day, rest a day sightseeing, I found this means I get to see something other than road and traffic. Done lots miles in Europe, my best times are when I do the 2hrs riding T,P and Petrol and meeting other riders, stop and chat a while. Remember it's the journey that's the point, not the getting there to schedules, did my head (and backside) in when I rode like that. As suggested by others, ride a route that takes you over the magnificent Humber Bridge (then no need to waste time stopping). Make sure you ride the Olivers Mount Race circuit where ALL the greats have raced at Scarborough (just an ordinary road during the week, you WILL have braggin' rights when yer get back (I've done this in front of a race crowd when "parading" an old Bonnie between the practice and racing). There's a Cafe there so you can eat chat, and then get on yer way over the fantastic North Yorks Moors. If I'm reading this right it's a big ask for yer wife on her own bike? My wife rides but we tour on mine, less stressful, and fallin' out. Suggest yer both have a weekend trial first doing the mileage yer thinking about.
    Just my experience Matt, do it your way of course, be safe, and have a fantastic trip,might see yer Scarborough way. I'm not being negative mate not my style in the asylum..pass me the tablets Big Lad o_O

• Like Like x 1
  17. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Haha no I welcome your input!!

I understand what you're saying and we are planning on having a few practises! Fortunately the days aren't too long!

We've got a few that are only really a couple hours riding so spread out over the day with lots of sight seeing stops should be fine.

There's two longish days (4-4:30hrs) but the rest I think are quite manageable.

We're also keepbig the plan quite loose, if a day is getting too long we'll stop and book in somewhere for the night, nothing will be booked much in advanced.

We can add rest days as and when we want if she (or me) are feeling tired/drained!

Thanks again for your advice though...i find it very helpful!

18. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi Matt what a great looking plan. IMO you have it about right, the days do not look to challenging with plenty of time along the way for stops. This is how I like to tour a maximium of 4 to 4.5 hours riding which allows loads of time at your chosen destinations. Enjoy and don't forget to post your trip report with some pictures.
    Wessa

19. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Cheers Wessa don't worry there'll be loads of pics!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. PieMan

PieMan Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Dorset, England
    #40 PieMan, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
    On your return journey if you can pass through Bournemouth/Poole on a Tuesday evening, the Poole Quay bike night is well worth visiting. On a warm Summer evening, thousands of bikes turn up.