Uk Road Trip- Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Bonnie1980, May 30, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bonnie1980

Bonnie1980 Bonneville T120 Black

Aug 6, 2019
    South East England
    Hi All,

I am planning a solo trip in the UK for probably 5 days. This would be my first (single and also in the UK). Could you please advise some ideas on the routes (where can I go), tips/tricks (what to pack) etc.

I will be starting from Reading, Berkshire. I intend to ride my Bonnie T120.

Appreciate all the responses.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Not that I am biased or anything but the Lake District is stunning! :grinning:
    The western coast road, A595, is fabulous and avoids places like Bowness and Ambleside which are always busy.
    Pack waterproofs :joy:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Glenn2926

Glenn2926 Noble Member
    Subscriber

Dec 21, 2021
    Yorkshire
    Go North. The further the better. Yorkshire, Northumberland, Cumbria and of course Scotland. You won’t go far wrong with any of those.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Bikerman

Bikerman I used to have 5500 posts.

Oct 29, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    As above, you'll not get much better than that. Also if you feel really adventuras don't discount N Ireland. It rains a bit, but the scenery is brilliant too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    If you can push it up to 7 days i would go up to Scotland and that would give you 5 days riding great roads and scenery, i can suggest various routes for you if you do decide to go to Scotland. Pack what you think you will need then take half of it away!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Depends on if you want 5 days exploring an area or a round robin tour. If it's the latter then from Reading I would initially head west, drop in to the southern part of Wales. South to north through Wales, up to the Lakes for a day, Across to North Yorks then back down the Pennines to home :cool: Clearly overnight stops are entirely up to you along the way but Night 1 South Wales, Night 2 Lakes, Night 3 North Yorks, Night 4 Pennines ;) gives you time to explore before you get your head down and an entire day in each location :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Wales is close and has some cracking rides. I have a few gpx files I can ping over to you. You can avoid the M4 and still be in Wales within a couple of hours from you almost!