U.k. Bonneville

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Tom Gillam, Jul 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    The airbox is designed to minimise induction noise. The effect is pretty restrictive on engine breathing and was designed with the very quiet original pipes. The three induction inhibitors are:
    Snorkel
    Filter
    Baffle.
    Pulling the snorkel increases the aperture. Just remember an over oiled filter can itself be restrictive. The internal baffle slots inside the airbox and is visible, filter removed. If you remove the snorkel you might as well remove the baffle.
    By way of comparison I have a fully gutted airbox, profiled snorkel plate and slightly more open exhausts than you with 128 main jets. MPG at 52-54 mpg is unaffected but mid range torque is appreciably improved.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

Ok thanks Callum,
    I’ve now removed the baffle, but there’s not much point in reassembly until I’ve sorted the carbs.
    So back on the road,weather permitting,sometime next week.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

I’ll let you know how I got on,hopefully next week.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

Hello,
    I finally got round to a ride,down to the Dorset coast and back.
    I filled up when I got back and found I now have 53 mpg,which is a lot better than the 37 previously.
    The reason for the improvement was that the carbs needed balancing,they were way out,so that’s the next step in the right direction.The only problem is I think I need to have the ecu remapped to stop the popping and finalise the upgrades already done.
    I think I’ll wait to see if there’s any Black Friday or Christmas offers coming up .
    Also noticed an intermittent screeching sound coming from the speedo,so if anyone can tell me what to squirt or grease,I’d be grateful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

Hello,
    Sometime ago,Callumity sent a picture of an electrical connection under the tank.Unfortunately,my bike doesn’t have one,so the question is,where is the easiest place to make an accessory connection?
    I think someone mentioned the horn,but to be clear I’ve got heated grips and a usb to connect.
    I need it to work with the ignition,so I can’t connect straight onto the battery..
    Thanks in advance.

7. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

Hello,
    Sometime ago,Callumity sent a picture of an electrical connection under the tank.Unfortunately,my bike doesn’t have one,so the question is,where is the easiest place to make an accessory connection?
    I think someone mentioned the horn,but to be clear I’ve got heated grips and a usb to connect.
    I need it to work with the ignition,so I can’t connect straight onto the battery..
    Thanks in advance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Popping on the overrun is unburnt fuel burning off in the exhaust. You can’t really go leaner than 40 pilot jets with screws 2.5 to 2.75 out and maybe settle at that. Your igniter (not ECU) will have negligible bearing on the problem.
    Your screeching sound is very probably the drive cable not the instrument.
    https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/triump...33/01-06/picture/speedo_cable_by_slinky_glide

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

Thanks Callum,
    I’ve sprayed some lithium grease on the speedo cable(as per instructions)so we’ll see if this works otherwise a new cable.
    The popping may be resolved by some minor adjustments,so I’ll wait and see.Meanwhile,ordered some piggyback spade connectors for the heated grips and usb.
    Thanks for the cable info

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

I’ve just run the bike for ten minutes and noticed the header pipes glowing red hot.
    Is this normal?I’ve never seen this before,but it doesn’t seem right,perhaps somebody can throw some light on this.
    Thanks in advance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Much more noticeable in the dark than daylight and especially if it has been sitting rather than in a cooling airstream. Do you still have air injection fitted? It exacerbates the problem by admitting oxygen for burning off residual unburnt fuel for emissions regs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

Thanks for the reply,the sai,or whatever it’s called has been removed,before I bought the bike.It sounds a bit spluttery,but like me,could probably do with a run.
    My shed was quite dark this afternoon,but I’ve never seen that on another bike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    as I needed to know the answer, not because I care where it was made, but just because I like to have the answer to an enigma, the European system, including the UK has the world manufacturer id as the first three letters, SMT for triumph, the 11th digit plant id only applies in north america, as far as I can tell it is impossible to say from the UK vin where your bike was built.

SMTTJ9102G7xxxxxx

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    InExactly right! the European plant code is the 5th letter

J for Jacknell Rd Hinckley
    T for Thailand

Remember it is the assembly plant code and they ship parts in both directions.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

I have the the same vin code as above,and somebody mentioned that the j is for Jacknell,so I believe this is a U.K. bike.
    Thanks for the replies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

Can anyone please tell me whether the pilot screws are slotted or Phillips or something else?
    I’ve tried taking a photo from underneath but it doesn’t show what they are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    #77 MadMrB, Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    The pilot jets themselves are slotted...

PilotJets.PNG

The mixture adjuster screws are a D shaped head, and you can buy a tool: https://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/d...keihin-carburettor-adjustment-tool-6617-p.asp

Or apparently you can also get mixture thumb screw adjusters to replace the D head screws: https://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/d...xture-thumb-screw-adjusters-3-only-3976-p.asp

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  18. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

Ok thanks for that

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

Hello can anyone tell me what the banjo bolt is on the the front brake reservoir.Is it a m10 x 1.25 mm thread?

20. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar