U.k. Bonneville

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Tom Gillam, Jul 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

Thanks for that Jerry,
    I’m not sure whether I’m bright enough to decipher that lot.
    There’s an H on the frame number and someone said that stood for Hinckley,so unless anyone wants to shoot be down,
    I happy to believe that it’s a U.K. bike.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    Tom,
    sadly the table seems to specifically deal with usa and canada rather than uk bikes and according to it J is Hinkley, T is Thailand which didn't match my bike as I don't have a letter as the 11th digit, though the H might be the power output 85ps as mine as G which stands for the same thing

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

Sorry Jerry,
    I got that wrong,mine starts with a J which I believe makes it a Hinckley.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

Hello,
    I’m going to put on heated grips and a usb for charging,can anyone point me to the easiest place to connect live to a cable that goes on and off with the ignition?
    I’ll have to remove the tank and I assume that the frame is negative (regarding connection).

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Lurking under the tank sticking out of the loom on the spine you will find an apparently redundant T socket for just such a purpose.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    LH yellow arrow!

AB6B2387-9631-4398-805B-447FBB60ACCB.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  7. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

Great,
    Thanks a lot ,that’ll save me faffing about.Simplicity is my middle name.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

Hello,
    Is 37 mpg all I should expect from an 07 Bonnie (carb)because if it is,then I find this disappointing,as I was hoping/expecting for rather more than this.
    Being an eight valve DOHC I would have thought 50mpg would have been realistic.
    I’ve got the larger front cog to raise the gearing,but I’m not expecting a significant change.
    Has anyone got any advice?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    #49 Callumity, Oct 30, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    Something is not right........

You should (on std gearing) be getting nearly 50mpg (Imperial gallons!) even if you are ragging it and nearer 54mpg if you are not.

Binding brakes? Blocked air filter? I wonder if the previous owner has gone a bit too big on jets having fitted TORs. Do you know what they are?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

Hello,
    Is 37 mpg all I should expect from an 07 Bonnie (carb)because if it is,then I find this disappointing,as I was hoping/expecting for rather more than this.
    Being an eight valve DOHC I would have thought 50mpg would have been realistic.
    I’ve got the larger front cog to raise the gearing,but I’m not expecting a significant change.
    Has anyone got any advice?
    Thanks for your reply,I don’t know what the jets are,I assumed standard,but I have switched to the tec 2 into 1,but if standard jets,shouldn’t make any difference.
    I’ll try and find out.
    What should they be?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

Hi Callum,
    The former owner has told me the jets were for the Tor’s,which presumably weren’t standard. Also I don’t know whether the needles were raised or lowered

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    That model bike and colour was on the cusp of the 790 to 865 transition. Different jets and needles.....
    Now, the TORs were supplied with 115 (vice standard 110) for the 790 but the 865 has the tapered Thruxton needle and, with no other mods, should supposedly not need re-jetting.
    So, which motor and what mods?

• Like Like x 3
  13. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

It’s an 865 other than that, I don’t know about the jetting.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    It is easy to be daunted but in truth the whole shebang is not that complicated if you can wield a screwdriver and read a manual and take a few digital photos. Like Hansel and Gretel you can then find your way back......
    If your mpg is poor you are losing performance as well as money.....even if it is just clutch slip. Accessing the carb float bowls is a fiddle freeing them from the air box and rotating them to access the screws. However, if you assign a weekend and remove the rank you can clean and lubricate the linkages and cables and clean the carbs themselves. The jets are threaded brass inserts with small numbers indicating their size. You standard pilot jets are size 40 and provide most of the fuel from off idle to 3000 rpm where the mains take over. The size of main is as much a function of your airbox set up as exhaust. Equally an over oiled K&N can mess up that calculation too.
    What are you up for in terms of rolling up your sleeves? Can your budget stretch to £25?

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

Thanks for that,luckily I’m reasonably familiar with carbs,I need to take off the tank for the electrics,so I might as well do it all at the same time.
    All I suppose I need are the right jets and needles + shims and have a good look at the air filter and box,I have the manual..
    What could possibly go wrong?.......

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    As you already have TORs fitted I would open up the airbox by removing the rubber snorkel and internal baffle

Instructions: https://www.triumphtwinpower.com/triumph-twin-easy-airbox-baffle-removal.php

Leave the filter and contoured bellmouth for now. Strip down the carbs and find out what is in there. TTP can supply the right jets for your 2-1 exhaust set up combined with your airbox mods. If you feel flush then fit a Breathe too. The paper OEM filter is fine unprotected unless you intend to ride in the rain. It will survive the odd shower!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

Thanks for your replies,
    I think I have the DNA filter with the removal of the breathers and blanked,which is a normal improvement,I believe.
    So I’ll try and buy the correct jets for the job,before I embark on this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Just spotted this thread - so a bit late to the conversation. The spare socket under the tank (at least on my 2012 SE) is not switched with the ignition, it is permanently live. I wired a USB socket to it and then changed my mind because of this and connected the USB socket via a "piggy back" connector to the horn. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. Tom Gillam

Tom Gillam Guest

Thanks for that Steve,I’ll have to get the amp meter out.
    Meanwhile if I remove the rubber air intake snorkel,that should improve the “breathing?

• Agree Agree x 1