Tyres/wheels - Not About The Rubber This Time

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Stewcos, Sep 28, 2023.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Stewcos

Stewcos Member

Jan 8, 2019
    Surrey
    Hi all, could do with some advice.
    Had new road 6 tyres fitted today, I had the wheels taken to the shop loose by a friend and the shop fitted them for me.

I have returned home after work and the tyres look great.

I have then looked at the weights - there are 14 - 5g flat black stick on weights on the rear wheel. This is quite some distance of weights.

On the front wheel there are raised silver weights. I have weights either side of the wheel.

The bike is a speed triple rs 2020 for reference.

Before I ring up in the morning can any one could confirm if this is normal or sounds like poor workmanship/lack of weights available?

The rear with 14 - 5g weights could have had a 20g - 20g - 10g to make up 70 grammes? Or does it not work like that and the weight was required to be spread further to achieve balance?

The different type weights and colour on the front could be that if all they had was 5g weights available I’d have multiple weights again on the front wheel.

Anyway if there are any tyre people out there I would appreciate a comment.

It’s really no drama, I just don’t want to sound like an idiot in the morning on the phone.

Many thanks.

2. Boothman

Boothman Senior Member

Jul 26, 2023
    Wigan
    I’d guess they just had a poor selection of balance weights available. No reason why the weight would need to be spread round the rim like that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. TRIPLE X

TRIPLE X Senior Member

Sep 1, 2021
    Downham Market, Norfolk
    I would not be happy with 14 weights on one wheel and have never seen such a configuration. I currently have 1 10g weight on the rear wheel and a total of 30g on the front in one strip of 4 (2x10g plus 2x5g). Also the tyre fitter used black weights on my black wheels as the original fitment on my 1050 Speed Triple RS. If silver weights were used I would have to replace them with black.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Stewcos

Stewcos Member

Jan 8, 2019
    Surrey
    Thanks all, I’ll put it down to a poor selection of weights.

I painted the front weights black this evening with gloss black and looks good.

was a bit of a shock seeing 14 weights on the rear.

have a good weekend.

• Like Like x 2
  5. BLKWND

BLKWND Member

Nov 17, 2020
    HOUSTON
    Irregardless of the numbers or colors of weights, ARE THEY BALANCED?

Likely not.
    Don’t go back there.