Tyres For 2014 Thruxton

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Flint, Mar 8, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Flint

Flint Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Swadlincote
    Hi

I’ve just bought a 2014 Thruxton and want to put on some fresh tyres. What do people recommend? Stick with the Metzeler or go with Avon AM26 or does anyone have any experience of the ContiRoadAttack 2?

Many thanks

2. Tallaferro

Tallaferro Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2018
    Catalonia
    Hi,

Not so much experience but let me share... In the past I always used Metzeler in my previous bike (Norton), Now I replaced OEM Metzeler that came with my T100 for Michelin Pilot Activ and it is a HUGE diffeence.
    Metzeler gave me the feeling of having square-section wheels (like wearing car wheels on a bike, or sidecar style) while the Pilot feeling is roooooound-tubby wheels. The Bonnie leans much better on corners and performs way much better on the bends.
    No idea about Avons and Conti.

Good luck with your choice!

3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk

I have the avon Roadrider’s on mine and can’t fault them, keep the pressures right and you can’t go wrong

• Like Like x 1
  4. Flint

Flint Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Swadlincote
    Thanks for your help, that is exactly the feeling I’m getting from the stock tyres.

5. J.W.

J.W. New Member

Apr 7, 2018
    Cheshire
    I put Avon Roadriders on my 2012 Thruxton and I like them. I spoke wth Avon about tyre pressures and they reccomended the following pressures:-

Front. 32 psi.
    Rear. 36 psi.

Works much better for me
    J.W.

6. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    Avon AM26 Roadriders all the way for me had them on a year now Bonny SE 865 seem to grip well and theyre not wearing out quickly not the most expensive either.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Terry

Terry New Member

Apr 29, 2015
    kent
    Hi, I put conti road attack 3's on my Thruxton very pleased with them, from track day, to cold damp always feel sure footed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I had several sets of Avon AM26 Roadrunners on my T100 and Pilot Road 5's on my current bike - an MT-07 Tracer - and both tyres are great in all conditions and wear well too !

9. Flint

Flint Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Swadlincote
    Cheers, I’ve got the Avon’s fitted now and really pleased with them.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    Dont forget to scrub them in for a 100 miles or so like I did not once left the tyre shop gave it a big handfull of throttle and proceeded to broadside down the road luckily not coming off very embarrassing also as the guys in the garage looked on and laughed

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Flint

Flint Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Swadlincote
    Don’t worry I will, I did exactly the same on a KR1S in 1993.

12. Flint

Flint Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Swadlincote
    Don’t worry I will, I did exactly the same on a KR1S in 1993.