Tyre Valves!

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Big Sandy, Dec 26, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    My Sprint has two different sized tyre valves. The rear wheel is normal, same size as any car or bike valve, and is at right angles to the wheel. Despite the chain and the brake disc being in the way, spin the wheel a bit and it's easy to get at. (easy enough...)

The front though? It's cranked, aimed over to the left. And for some reason its a smaller diameter. I have to use a different pump for the front.

This is okay at home home checking the pressure and correcting it.... Compressor nozzle fits the rear, and the foot pump fits the front. The front is a right faff though.

It struck me however, what do I do if I'm away from home and need to add some air?

Anybody else have different sized valves? And if you do how do you get round the problem?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    How long till your front tyre is toast, so you can change it?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Both of mine are cranked to one side but diameters are same. Maybe your rear one failed at some point and got replaced with a std one?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Few thousand miles left yet...

@Tigcraft what size are the valves you have? Same as a car, or smaller? At a quick guesstimate, I reckon the front one on mine is maybe 3/4 the size of the rear.

Do you need an adapter for your valves.?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Mine just use an ordinary airline car tyre inflater. They are just angled and very stubby

6. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    I'll get and measure them both, it will be interesting to see if its different in size to what you have fitted.

7. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    You can always get the valve changed so they match.

8. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Some piccies

The front wheel....

DSC_0295(1).png

The rear wheel

DSC_0296(1).png

And the difference in size between the two.

DSC_0298(1).png

And, look! I gots clean hands. Well, cleaner than usual :p

My compressor tyre inflator is a push on type, it fits the back easy, but not the front. It won't seal. Foot pump with the flip lever fits both, so I suppose its going to depend on what a garage has if I need to use one.

Wheels could do with a clean, huhh? Been either freezing or raining here so not had chance to clean the last rides dirt off.

9. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Planning on new tyres in spring hopefully so will get the front the same as the rear I think. Will make life easier. Just a shame to change the front tyre, there's a lot of life in it yet. But I suppose its of an age to change anyway. Its a matched pair of Pirelli Angels, so soon time to do some tyre research.

That rear valve..... Does that look like it's a tube to you?

10. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Having looked again, yes it does, but I couldn't be certain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Strangely enough I have the same angled tyre valves as you have fitted to the front wheel fitted to both front and rear wheels of my 99 Trophy and a Std airline fits them just fine.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Could just be my airline I guess?

13. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    The rear is almost certainly non standard ! My '99 '00 sprint had angled valves front and rear ... ! When you get new tyre on the rear be ready, look now for a new valve stem .. get an angled one to match front.

Cheers capt.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    Will do that @capt. I guess World 'o Triumph will have them.....

15. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    I wouldn't use WOT for summat like that, too dear. When you get the tyre changed ask them to fit one for you. Job done

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    I may just call in the tyre bay and see what they have... But yes, getting one fitted when the tyre is changed is as good a plan as any. They should fit a new valve anyway, but best to ask for it I think.

• Like Like x 1
  17. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Yeah or they will put a normal straight one on which can be awkward to get at.

18. Jeffrey Conlon

Apr 4, 2018
    Wakefield
    I have a 900 Daytona, and put angled valves on for access BUT I have thought about it ?
    1/ if you get them fitted angled to the side do it to the side that shows most when on the side stand ie pointing to the right.
    2/ or the pointing backwards so that the rotation and centrifugal
    Force forces the valve shut.
    Rubber sealed valve cap must be used to stop air getting out and dust getting in.
    Just thoughts !!

19. Big Sandy

Big Sandy WOOF! WOOF!

Nov 14, 2018
    Fuck off you nosy cunt
    The straight one on the back isn't too bad access wise. But can see how a cranked one would be easier. Front would be worse if it was straight.

@Jeffrey Conlon my front one is cranked, and aimed at the sidestand side... Makes it very difficult. I don't have a centrestand, so use the Paddock stand to do the pressures.

20. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    A bit like you Eric :eek:;):)

• Funny Funny x 1