Two Up On A Bonneville.

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Millsy65, May 20, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Millsy65

Millsy65 New Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Dumfries, Scotland
    Can I ask a question about your experiences two up on the Bonnevilles. I am an older rider who is not that interested in speed. Minimal motorway travel. My wife is new to pillion riding and last year we went round the NC500 and Orkney. What i look for is comfort and pulling ability. We currently run a Tiger 800 but I have always wanted a Bonny. Two years ago I test rode the 900 and 1200 as well as the 900 Scrambler. I loved the 900 but had reservations about the 1200 in city traffic - almost too much torque in the lower gears. But what is the 900 like with luggage and pillion? (i'm 85 kilos and my wife 70 kitted up) Any experiences please share. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Crème de la Crème

Aug 14, 2016
    Nottingham
    I test rode a T120 with the wife on the back and she rated the comfort highly. In the end l bought an older 865 which is perfectly adequate for a bit of bimbling. Longer tour-not so sure but l did replace the stock seat which was poor, get some decent luggage and a 900 would do you if used as you describe. 1200 without doubt better though. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. littleade

littleade The only sane one here
    Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    kidderminster Worcestershire
    As you intend touring 2 up personally I'd go for the 1200 for the extra power and it's better braking due to the twin discs but you need to test ride one 2 up to make sure you both like it. Also check what the max payload is so you know before you buy if it's capable of carrying you both plus your luggage as Triumph don't quote it on their website

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Georgez

Georgez Member

Nov 2, 2019
    Pacific North West
    Low end torque is your friend... IMO the 1200 Bonneville needs to have a 40T rear sprocket for better low speed manners and reduced clutch wear {not having to feather the clutch all the time}.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Millsy65

Millsy65 New Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Dumfries, Scotland
    Thanks for the comments. In the 70's i would have sold my soul for one of todays modern classics. (My other bike is an Interceptor 650!) I love the style and the feel and sound of a twin. The Tiger (and maybe a Bonneville) is primarily for our two up riding. I'm inclined to the 900. Brakes can be improved. But when I test rode both bikes the 900 felt more integrated and right. The 1200 felt a little bit coarser (!!) albeit with gobs of torque.

• Like Like x 2
  6. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Millsy65
    Sorry i have gone lots of places on my Bonnie and not pulled yet. But i love it felt the same as you with the 1200 and got the 900. And a good 865 is terrific so much grunt all the way through the range. The seat may need attention if you are long distancing.
    Regards
    Joe

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bonnie lad

Bonnie lad New Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Milton Keynes
    Did a comfortable week in France with the wife on my 2014 T100, fitted comfier seat, suspension changes, top box and soft paniers. However my winter steed, a Honda 500x is ultimately more comfortable and better suspension but unlike the Bonnie no one ever stops to admire it.....

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. AJ7840

AJ7840 Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Rockford, MI USA
    Maximum Payload of the T100 & T120 is 210kg
    A change to the rear sprocket (40-42 tooth) is a must for the less travelled roads

• Useful Useful x 1