Tuneecu Or Dealertool

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by BladeRR8, Jan 27, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BladeRR8

BladeRR8 Member

Aug 24, 2019
    South Sandwich Islands
    Looking at getting TuneECU or Dealertool for home servicing my 2016 Speed Triple R.

Anyone used either of the above on the 2016 Speed Triple R ?

TuneECU seems popular but its £77 for an obdlink lx dongle then £10 for the software on the playstore so £87 all in.

Dealer tool is £60 for everything.

Just wondering which is best for my needs.

Basically want to look at fault codes, reset the service symbol and carry out an ABS brake bleed.

All help and advice appreciated.

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BladeRR8

BladeRR8 Member

Aug 24, 2019
    South Sandwich Islands

Thanks but the free version doesnt work on a 2016 Speed Triple R.

I have to go bluetooth via Andriod I believe

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    Yes, sorry it does look like Android & BT only...
    Capture.PNG

• Like Like x 1
  5. GOT

GOT Member

Nov 21, 2018
    Torquay Australia
    Probably depends on how much importance you place on the bluetooth side of things.

I have the dealertool & only use it for exactly what you are stating you will use it for & its fine. The obvious downside is you have to run a cable from the bike to a laptop, but to me this wasn't an issue & was my prefered option anyway.

Come to think of it, from memory the TuneECU didn't do a 2019 RS which may have made the decision easier!

So if you think the 'portability' of the TuneECU is worth the extra, go for it.
    Being connected via cable will have less complications, but at the end of the day if you want the ability to check things anywhere, its only a few less lattes you have to go without on a few of those weekend rides ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    @BladeRR8
    What did you end up getting?

Currently looking at getting a newer bike that requires the BT module to do similar things.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    I got dealer tool, but not used it much.
    But have used it to turn service light off, found it easy to use.

I'll be using it soon to bleed my brakes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    Let us know how that goes!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    I'll do a video ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Alan Gilbert

Alan Gilbert Senior Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Yes . . . please do. I use TuneECU on my Tigga 1050 for installing different maps and I have a gs-911 for my Beemer which cost more than I dare remember but I do want to service my Speed Triple myself and don't want a constant nagging service reminder and so very interested to hear your experiences on this!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    Can you balance the throttle bodies and clear fault codes using DealerTool on a Speed Triple RS?

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Was using TuneECU this weekend on my 2016 Speed S with BT ODB2 Interface.
    Checked the throttle bodies, reset adaptation, bleed ABS brakes after changing break fluid and clear off error codes.
    Doesn't seem possible to read the current Map tho, not sure how to do that if I want to mess around with new ones.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    Thanks SuperHans. What's reset adaption?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SuperHans

SuperHans Senior Member

Mar 11, 2020
    Sweden
    Saw a good well described answer from a chap in another Triumph forum.
    Cut and paste from it below.

"

[​IMG]
    PieMan
    Vendor
    Joined Feb 8, 2007
    2,387 Posts
    #4 Aug 20, 2011
    Reset Adaption

The purpose of this function is to reset the base values stored in the ECM back to the factory default state, this is not only the O2 sensors, but also all other sensors which report back to the ECM to aid in good running, e.g. temp sensors, air pressure sensor etc. Once reset the ECM starts from scratch and relearns the running conditions and adapts accordingly.

When a new tune is loaded or any other major engine component change is made, it is best to let the ECM start from a "clean slate" and adapt. For example, if performance cams are fitted, the engine inlet vacuum changes and the engine will run slightly different throughout the rev range compared to the standard cams. A new tune is neccasary to take this into account for the fuelling and ignition adavance, but then the adaption process starts from the default base settings and adapts for differing conditions. If it's a cold clear day the ECM will know this from the temp and pressure sensors and add a little more fuel to take in to account the extra oxygen being pumped through the engine, equally if it is a warm overcast day a little less fuel is added by the ECM. If a reset adaption is not carried out, the ECM will work with what it learnt before the engine mod was carried out and this may not be correct for the new engine conditions."

• Like Like x 2
  15. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    I'm also on the DucatiForum. Resetting the TPS is a big thing on there. Is this necessary occasionally on a Speed Triple? Can you do it with Dealer Tool?

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Not sure if you can on a 2016, but can on my 2015 as long as you connect via cable (not BT)
    I've done a map update in the past with the Windows version, but think you can also with Android via cable, I'll check next time I'm working on the bike (doing a valve clearance check next week while we're in lockdown).

• Like Like x 1
  17. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    You can set the TPS using TuneECU so I would imagine it's available in DealerTool also. However (IMO) it's not normally necessary unless it's been removed or replaced, according to the workshop manual the adaptive ecu adjusts the output automatically (I'll post an extract when I'm back at PC).
    If the bike feels a little bit off tune the adaptive reset is always my first go to, balancing the throttle bodies would be next if it still feels off. With the Android TuneECU and Bluetooth it's a 2 minute job to check... but quite a bit of work to actually get to if they need adjusting.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    #18 Col_C, Apr 16, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    upload_2020-4-16_18-31-8.png

If you are "messing" with the TPS you also need to check the clearance on the ISC stepper motor is correct

upload_2020-4-16_18-43-30.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Linx

Linx Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Stratford Upon Avon, UK
    Brilliant. Thanks for that! Is that Dealer Tool or TuneECU?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Neither, that's an extract from the Triumph manual so is refering to the genuine Triumph tool the dealers would be using.
    However I know TuneECU reads the throttle position/voltage, not having any need to run that procedure I don't know for sure whether it also drives the throttle closed for the adjustment procedure - I imagine it must do.

• Agree Agree x 1