Tiger 800 Tubed To Tubless

Discussion in 'Tiger / Explorer' started by Peter Barbenson, Dec 25, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Peter Barbenson

Peter Barbenson Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2017
    Texas but born in Salford
    • Like Like x 2
  2. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

3. Peter Barbenson

Dec 20, 2017
    You got that right no pressure drop thank you

• Like Like x 1
  4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Can I ask why go to tubeless? Always thought tubed was the better option. Maybe it’s an old bloke thing.

5. Peter Barbenson

Dec 20, 2017
    About 3 months ago , still no pressure drop . I got a nice neat edge before applying the glue I used blue tape then once applied pull off the tape also tape over the valve stem hole

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    A tubed tyre will lose its pressure almost immediately when punctured. A tubeless tyre loses its pressure more slowly. At least, that is the usual theory. HGV tyres just explode!!!! Don't ask me how I know this, although it is more usually a result of it throwing its tread or the sidewall failing - bit of a bugger if it's the front that blows and it then takes out the airlines. It took seconds before the (air) brakes locked on. Almost shat meself!!

7. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    HGV tyres appear to explode but in reality the vast majority fail due to the tread delaminating from the carcass and that is usually the result of a puncture that the driver hasn’t spotted. The resulting loss of pressure causes the tyre to overheat and also water gets in between the plies rusting the steel reinforcing and as the tyre comes apart looks like a spectacular “blowout” but this term is misused as there is usually very little pressure in there at the point of failure. I agree it does have devastating results on a front tyre not only risking breaking the brake airlines and locking the brakes on but also the loss of steering ability makes the vehicle virtually unmanageable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    The name Bandag became despised within the first company I worked for after numerous sidewall failures and a fair few delaminations over a couple of years. The boss eventually decided that new tyres were cheaper in the long run, although we all became very skilled in the use of a tread cutter!