Tubed Puncture Repair Kit

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Malcolm Woods, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Malcolm Woods

Malcolm Woods Noble Member

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    Hello all again, I would like to carry an emergency puncture repair kit, but having a 2011 T100 with spooked wheels need one that would work with inner tubes. Is there such a thing??? what do our other tubed members carry.
    Any recommendations Please.

2. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    I just hope not to get a puncture and carry an RAC membership card in case sh1t happens!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Malcolm Woods

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    ok thanks will give it ago.

4. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Does RAC/AA membership actually cover punctures? I noticed recently that they now don't cover 'accidents' only mechanical breakdown.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Malcolm Woods

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    That's a very good question.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    They never have covered accidents, that is for the motor insurers but they cover breakdowns and punctures are not excluded. Nevertheless they will only take you to the nearest tyre place and there will certainly be a delay in coming out so I will probably invest in some Goop to avoid the problem

• Like Like x 1
  7. Malcolm Woods

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    Just watched you tube Dell Boy putting Goop in his tubed Harley, sold it to me, so I've ordered a litre from busters on e bay, never heard of the stuff before using this site, thanks all, in the event of a punture it seems goop will get you home and in some instances you won't even know you've had one untill you look at your tires and see a green blob. £14. 00 saves the hassle of a long wait and hassle. thanks all again.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    yes it works rode a honder cx 650ed to qld 2450km about 20years ago had that stuff in the tyres ,its called slime here got to bunderberg and has a screw in the rear tyre never even lost pressure it works well

• Like Like x 2
  9. Malcolm Woods

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    Was that a wheel with a tube??

10. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    That was a tubless tyres they work on tubes or tubless it roles into a ball and roles around the tyre when you get a leak it gets sucked into the leak sealing the tyre or tube also does not up set the balance of the rim it worked other wise Cary a can of swish which pumps up the tyre and seals the leak not as good though doesent put much air in the tyre

11. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    That was a tubless tyres they work on tubes or tubless it roles into a ball and roles around the tyre when you get a leak it gets sucked into the leak sealing the tyre or tube also does not up set the balance of the rim it worked other wise Cary a can of swish which pumps up the tyre and seals the leak not as good though doesent put much air in the tyre

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Guess I was lucky in the past. In the 90's the AA recovered my bike after a couple of accidents. One 'propper' RTA and one a drop on a roundabout breaking control leavers. They also came when I picked up a puncture. But that was back in the day the AA was a mutual organisation, not the fully commercial one it is now.

13. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    Guess was lucky in the past. In the 90's the AA recovered my bike after a couple of accidents. One 'propper' RTA and one a drop on a roundabout breaking control leavers. They also came when I picked up a puncture. But that was back in the day the AA was a mutual organisation, not the fully commercial one it is now.

14. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    There can be a downside to using slime/goob stuff in tubeless tyres. Rare, but possible.

A neighbour use to be an RAC patrol man. He told me of two jobs he turned out to concerning bikers. Both had complained of a strange unidentified knocking from the rear of their bikes. It was the slime stuff set rock hard forming a sort of small cricket ball rolling around inside the tyre.

I used to put it in my mountain bike tyres to good effect.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    This is the can

577E22DA-37C3-4652-A4F2-C0B664C83FED.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. Dinny

Dinny Member

Oct 5, 2019
    N.Essex
    My 2018 T100 has tubed tyres and after much research I carry a bottle of Goop in the topbox along with a small electric airpump (surprisingly effective for something that fits into the palm of my hand) and spare valve. I don't like the idea of putting the stuff in the tyre as a preventative, despite all the claims that it's okay to do so, because It worries me that the tube could wind up relying on the Goop to seal it for an extended time if you don't notice a nail or tack, and I've read reports of tubes ripping and failing later on. I also understand that it's not recommended to patch tubes these days, but to replace with a new tube after a puncture. I think I'd trust a properly fitted patch rather than Goop, but to be honest while the tube's out you might as well have a new one for peace of mind. My Goop has a use by date printed on it suggesting a shelf life (about two years IIRC) so how does that figure with having the stuff in your tyre after that? Presumably, if it degrades in the bottle, the same thing will happen in the tube?
    I think I'll stick with putting the stuff in the tube as an emergency repair at the time of the puncture, to get me home and then sort out a proper repair/replacement then. Pays your money and takes your choice, I suppose.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Charlie Watts

Charlie Watts New Member

Jun 14, 2020
    Somerset UK
    I have used Bike seal in my previous bikes and it has got me home on 2 occasions. Only doing pre ride checks has identified I have had a puncture.
    Excellent stuff. Www.bikeseal.co.uk

18. Malcolm Woods

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    It seems to be the same as goop I think??

19. Charlie Watts

Charlie Watts New Member

Jun 14, 2020
    Somerset UK
    Could be the same sort of stuff. If it is it certainly works!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dinny

Dinny Member

Oct 5, 2019
    N.Essex
    Going on from my previous post, this from the Bikeseal website previously mentioned - funny that Goop has a use by date....................Obviously BikeSeal have a product to sell, so make of what they say as you see fit.

THE FACTS ABOUT PUNCTURE PREVENTION TYRE SEALANTS

• All chemicals have a shelf life – they separate, break down and harden, creating inevitable performance and wheel balance issues, which due to the temporary nature of chemical properties should not remain in any tyre indefinitely.
    • Chemicals within tyres start corroding tyres, wheels and alloys. (Check the bottle of any product you have stored for separation or solidification, including metal caps for corrosion).
    • Chemical seals are “glue like” – the hardened seal cannot flex with tyre rubber and movement, so breaks down and fails.
    • Most products claim a water base – this does not alter the chemical properties and their reaction.
    • If a product states it is safe to use with some metal rims but not others? Why? Then it is corrosive.
    • Why does a product require top up after initial installation? How do you know how much to top up? Most chemicals are absorbed within a tyre so are not designed to give puncture prevention. They cannot – the product is absorbed limiting sufficient quantity for protection but instead initiating tyre rubber corrosion.
    • Natural rubber latex cures in air (air within a tyre), therefore it has a natural shelf life before it hardens and is difficult to remove.

• Like Like x 1