Tubed Or Tubeless?

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Flybywyre, Dec 26, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jay ryder

Jay ryder Member

Sep 15, 2018
    Australia
    I like that logic DOZERS DAD, but is it not the case that you're even less likely to get a puncture with the bike, because you only have 2 rather than 4 wheels? On a serious note, this is a question I hve been asking myself too, because I am about to buy either a T120 or a new Speed Twin, and it is one of the factors to consider.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Gazwhitespeed

Gazwhitespeed Senior Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    You have got to find out if you have tubes in there,looking at your rims they are raised in the middle suggesting that they are tubeless,iv'e had a few bikes with spokes that were tubeless.If your bike has tubes the biggest problem is breaking the bead to get the tubes out,if like rich correctly says your rims are chrome as soon as the tyre goes down the tyre will come away from the rim and if it moves then will be out of balance,all in all tubes are a pain in the arse,my current POS has got tubes,i have just ordered some tubeless wheels.[not the bike on my avatar,my Africa Twin]

3. Flybywyre

Flybywyre Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Winchester UK
    How can I find out if they are tubeless without letting the tyres down and having a poke around?

4. Gazwhitespeed

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    I think the best way,is as already been said,if the valve is threaded all the way down you probably have tubes in there,i don't think there is another way to tell without letting the tyre down,if you let one tyre down and you can push the tyre away from the rim then you have tubes.

5. BigCLM

BigCLM Senior Member

Nov 30, 2017
    San Rafael, CA
    If it was me I would never buy a bike with tubed tires on spoked wheels. I purchased the Street Twin (versus the T100) for that reason (cast wheels and tubeless tires). I like the 'look' of spoked wheels but would personally never own one. So I would go with the Speed Twin if you want the 1200 size. I always carry a plug/CO2 cartridge flat repair kit. I have had a flat before (simple nail) and was able to do a quick roadside repair and get home. And in general, tubeless tires on cast wheels are generally considered to be safer. A tubeless tire leak is generally a slow leak, where a puncture on a tubed tire can rapidly deflate the tire leading to a possible accident.
    Just my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gazwhitespeed

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    I agree you have a puncture with a tubeless tyre you have got time to slow down,with tubes and a puncture you will probably end up on your arse,iv'e had so many slides with my front tyre in the dry,how iv'e saved them all so far is a mystery,same thing happened when i had a tiger 800xc with 21" tubed tyre,that's why i am buying new wheels.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gazwhitespeed

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    If you find you have tubes and you can put some type of sealant in them to slow down the puncture or to keep the tyre inflated,that's got to be the way especially where you are going.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Flybywyre

Flybywyre Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Winchester UK
    #48 Flybywyre, Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  9. Flybywyre

Flybywyre Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Winchester UK

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gazwhitespeed

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    That's good you can go see this stuff for yourself,hopefully you will come away a bit more relaxed

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gazwhitespeed

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    DD,yes i agree, the wheel in the vid is tubeless

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Flybywyre

Flybywyre Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Winchester UK
    To ask a couple of questions I have and then, subject to the right answers, to buy a couple of the products direct from the supplier at trade price and not three times the price from a dealership/parts shop.

13. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Thread all the way down does not reliably indicate tubes. Bolt in tubeless valve stems are available as I have some

• Like Like x 1
  14. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    A guy was demonstrating something similar at NEC last year (2017).
    I asked about balance if going fast and he reassured me that it had been tested over 150mph.

Still not convinced personally but father in law swears by it for his push bike and arthritic thumbs.

15. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Wow DD that is a very sound and reasonable post considering the time of the morning!
    As he said, there are very few, if any, stupid questions but there has to be some honesty. For example my recommendation of a plug spanner wasnt to suggest the plugs were going to expire in a 2000 mile or so trip but a lot of diagnosis can be done via this hole.
    For you to suggest mole grips makes most technically minded people cringe and would, in my mind, be wasting precious space.

Why don't you tell us what you are thinking of taking with you and then we can advise the pros and cons for said items?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Flybywyre

Flybywyre Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Winchester UK
    Bikerman good point about the PSI and I will ask the question.
    My first oversea's trip of the year is only seven weeks away so I may give this stuff a try so I can see if I notice any handling difference.
    The tyres are being replaced prior to the Nordkapp trip in July.
    It's strange how things change yet old thoughts still stick in your head. Back in 1973 when I had my first Bonneville the main concern on a long trip would have been how to keep enough oil in the engine, not punctures.
    I was intending to take some oil but chatting to the chief mechanic at my local Triumph dealership last week he pointed out that my bike does not use any oil so why bother? Good point...........old habits etc.

17. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Old habits......? I suspect we are not far removed in age and my take is that you are in danger of over thinking things.
    I am a great believer in foresight, planning and preparation but also probability. A puncture or other kind of breakdown is a actually quite a low probability event on a modern motorcycle ridden on European tarmac. You are going to ‘remote’ Norway not ‘uninhabited’ Norway and on a well frequented summer route......in summer.
    There might be some things I would do prior to departure because they have longer term benefit. Top of those would be roadside rescue insurance, a charged mobile and a list of numbers to call. If you are competent with tools I would pack a small tool roll with the spanners needed to remove a wheel and a couple of tyre levers plus a spare rear tube (the smaller diameter can be ‘persuaded’ onto the front rim in extremis)
    It is unclear if you are flying solo - you only need one set of tools between a group - and being retired are generally more time flexible.
    You just come across (ever so slightly!) as someone who might not enjoy the ride because you are straining to hear every change in engine note, strange suspension knock, handlebar vibration.....
    And I use Slime in my tyres - as much to decelerate deflation as for total prevention. Personally I would be more worried about an ambling elk!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Flybywyre

Flybywyre Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Winchester UK
    I will be "flying solo" and as I stated in a previous post on this thread tools will be basic and breakdown cover comprehensive.
    There are certain items that it would be sensible to take as the Norwegian TOMCC inform me that any parts would have to come from Oslo. Having them with me means recovery to a garage/tyre centre would do the trick.
    I have checked out the slime option and it looks good.
    I have also booked myself on a Elk recognition and avoidance course.............you can never have too much foresight and planning when flying solo.

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    And just what parts do you foresee needing? You can get anything Triumph specific from here to rural Norway in 48hrs. Your immediate need is more likely to be generic......air, oil, tyre, tube, chain. Chill!

20. Flybywyre

Flybywyre Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Winchester UK
    And there lies the problem, 48 hours.