Featured Tt Racing Heritage On Bbr Rsvr Race Bike For 2020.

Discussion in 'Racing & Bike Sport' started by Bad Billy, Nov 7, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member
    Subscriber

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    RSVR 2.jpg

I got a fair bit of history as well as a load of spares with the bike when I bought it, so as I start to prepare the bike for next season I thought I would share it with you guys.

The bike was one of the first batch of Gen 2 RSV-R Factory models purchased in Sep 2003 by John Coughlan, although it came with a V5 it never went on the road, it was prepped ready for racing in 2004.
    John raced it in Super Twins class with Bemsee in 2004 & 2005 & subsequently with other clubs after this, John enjoyed many wins & podiums over the period but in early 2011 he sold the bike.
    The new owner didn't race the bike, choosing to do track days only, and in 2012 sold it to racer Paul Baleta, he had raced against this bike in 2004 & 2005 so knew it was a good build.
    He wanted a bike to compete in the Senior Class at the Manx GP in 2012, unfortunately for Paul the bike dropped a valve in the rear cylinder first lap of Senior race.
    So another engine was sourced & fitted ready for the 2013 Senior event, Paul continued to have bad luck as in 2013 as the Senior race was cancelled due to poor visibility over the Mountain. :(

Undeterred he returned in 2014 where he finally finished the Senior in 8th place with an average speed of 113.671 mph, this is the 2nd best lap time for an RSV round the island, only better by Mark Millers full factory effort which produced a 114 mph lap in 2007.

Picture of Paul on the RSV, one of the sets of bodywork I was given with the bike is pictured below, complete with the very cool 'Betty' logo. :cool:

rsvr3.jpg

Results from the 2014 Senior race below;

upload_2019-11-7_8-42-26.png

A link to a bit more info about Paul Baleta & his history with the IOM.

https://roadracingnews.co.uk/paul-baleta-set-for-first-year-of-competition-at-tt-races/

After the new engine was fitted she only did 13 laps of the Manx, Paul sold the bike in 2015 to the guy I bought in from who has done track days only since.

As I can't be 100% sure of the actual amount of hours the motor has run since being fitted, I have booked it in next month with Aprilia Performance for a major service which includes valve check, will also get the suspension set up done at the same time.

Really looking forward to getting out on this peach of a bike next season.

• Like Like x 16
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member
    Subscriber

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    A few more pictures of my bike at the Manx Senior, google really is very helpful when researching!

RSV 6.jpg RSV 4.jpg RSV 8.JPG RSV 9.jpg

upload_2019-11-7_12-43-4.png

upload_2019-11-7_12-43-59.png

• Like Like x 14
  3. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member
    Subscriber

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Cool! How many hours has it been airborne? o_O

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member
    Subscriber

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Never raced, rallied, jumped or crashed the advert said! :p

I will see what I can do to get some air over the Mountain at Cadwell if I go next year o_O:eek::scream:

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Oldfart

Oldfart Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Staffs Moorlands
    A 'blog' of your preparation towards next season would be a fascinating read to follow.

Oldfart

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member
    Subscriber

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    A couple of others have asked that I do a thread on preparation for next year, I am more than happy to do this & take pictures along the way.
    At the moment I am busy catching up with all the 'stuff' at home that gets put off during race season.

As said earlier in this post the first step is to get a full service & valve check done at Aprilia Performance on Sat 7th Dec, suspension set up is booked at same time, so will post some pictures when I am there.
    I have to sort race body work out as well, I actually have the set in the pictures of Paul earlier in this thread, the tank has been changed though, I do have a spare tank & tail unit which are blue so might be able to recreate the look, it's all money though & a race bike only needs to look good from 30 yards!

• Like Like x 9
  7. Adie P

Adie P Elite Member
    Subscriber

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Ermmmmm ...... should we do a garibaldi and/or cantuccini fund for Team BBR 2020? :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Dozers Dad

Dozers Dad Bushmills Chief Quality Controller
    Subscriber

Great idea Adie! :grinning:

My position as team manager/financial director is yet to be confirmed. However, I'm sure my contract has just been delayed in the post? To get things moving. I'll PM you the details of my account in the Cayman islands & we can get cracking on the fund raising for BBR 2020.
    Please mark your payment..."Bushmills fund"...I'd hate to get my money confused with Billy's again :kissing: :cool: :p

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  9. tcbandituk

Subscriber

Apr 8, 2016
    Reading
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member
    Subscriber

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Thanks for the thought Adie but I won't be doing a cookie fund (like a hedge fund but tastier!) next year. :)
    I was genuinely surprised & humbled that members put money in the racing fund this year, but I don't want anybody doing the same next year so whatever @Dozers Dad tells you to the contrary, don't send money! :eek:

I am just happy to see any Forum members turn up & say hello, If you insist on bringing a packet of biscuits then fair enough! :yum

• Like Like x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member
    Subscriber

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Nice try DD! ;)
    You were dismissed under a cloud by the racing authorities for inappropriate use of sponsorship funds at Madame Sins Pleasure Palace & Bang Bang House :eek:, not to mention the mankini incident whilst attempting to access the start grid while waving a brolly around at officials :scream:. You are banned from any form of Motorsport management for 5 years as a result! :imp:

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Dozers Dad

Dozers Dad Bushmills Chief Quality Controller
    Subscriber

You spoil all my fun! :confused:
    tenor-4.gif

:cool: :p

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member
    Subscriber

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  14. MrOrange

MrOrange There is no good cop!
    Staff Member Subscriber

Oct 28, 2015
    the Heart of Darkness
    Cant go wrong with an APE :cool:

Absolute belter of an engine, but I am biased, just love V-Twins.

Oh and I have one :laughing:

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member
    Subscriber

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    So different to riding an inline 4, big V twins hold corner speed so well without feeling you are gonna get high-sided into the middle of next month!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. MrOrange

MrOrange There is no good cop!
    Staff Member Subscriber

Oct 28, 2015
    the Heart of Darkness
    Enough grunt that it doesn't need to rev the arse off it, then be in the wrong gear like a jap IL4.
    Never in the wrong gear in a big torque'y V-twin. Think that's why I like them, that and the beautiful noise they make.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member
    Subscriber

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Billy, as someone who supports the MGP, I’ll be there again in 2020, the mountain course is the ultimate test of man and machine which I’m sure you know :)

So the bikes pedigree is up there with the best,,,,,,I’m sure you’ll enjoy :cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. Dave C

Dave C Elite Member
    Subscriber

Dec 22, 2017
    North Dorset
    With the RSVR beneath you next season Bill the opposition better start worrying, the new Hobnob paint scheme will add an additional 20bhp too :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Sandi T.

Sandi T. It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona

What a brilliant account of your Aprilia's history, Billy! :) I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. It's so cool that you know that the history is known and available. I think that will make racing your RSV-R all the more special. Thanks for taking the time to share your bike's history with us on the forum and for including lots of great photos. I particularly love the one of your airborne bike! :eek: :) I agree that a blog about your racing prep would be really fun to follow if you can take the time to do one. Great thread!! :heart_eyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Sandi T.

Sandi T. It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    "Speed Therapy". That's what I'm talking about! ;)

Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 8.13.03 PM.png

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1