Thruxton Trying the Thruxton R demo bike

Discussion in 'Thruxton, Scrambler & Trident' started by gary1966, Oct 27, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

Oct 5, 2013
    suffolk
    This Saturday coming my Daytona 675R is in for its 2yr service so I have booked out the Thruxton R for an hour, really quiet looking forward to it, weather looks good aswel.

Will be a tad different to my 675R and 94R

2. Andy_S

Andy_S Active Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Kingston upon Hull
  3. Wassers

Wassers Active Member

May 27, 2016
    Berkshire
    Something tells me you are going to like it. A lot!

4. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    oh dear it might turn out to be an expensive service :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Taff Salmon

Taff Salmon Active Member

Aug 22, 2016
    no
    Hi Gary,
    The engine is very torquey, but I didn't get to try the handling as it was hosing it down when I tried one.
    I'd be interested in your opinion on handling compared to a 675R and a 94R.
    Doubt if it can come close to the 675 but it might be comparable to the 94R?
    Have fun

6. its me

its me Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2015
    leeds
    That's what I did, 1st year service at a1 moto in York. Test rode the thruxton R while they did it.....part exchange the daytona and now have s thruxton R on order...be ready.

7. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

Oct 5, 2013
    suffolk
    Weather is looking good and the roads around the dealers I no very well and some nice twistys and long sweepers.
    I would be very surprised if I came away with px either of my bikes but you never know ha ha

If the group of lads I ride with started to dwindle down or they got like minded bikes then it might be different.

Really looking forward to riding it

8. Taff Salmon

Taff Salmon Active Member

Aug 22, 2016
    no
    Well how was it?

9. gary1966

gary1966 Active Member

Oct 5, 2013
    suffolk
    Loved it can see why they are selling, fast, brakes excellent, less vibration than my 94R comfy over the 50 miles I done, lots of touque but if using high speeds real bad wind blast but this bike is not designed for speed. The bike didn't handle that well IMO but with a good set up it would show a few people up in the twistys.

Handling does not compare to my other bikes, would I buy one ? Not sure to be honest lot of money for a toy.

Tried the new speed triple now that's one bike I would buy felt like night and day over my 94R

Riding the 675R back after the service now I no why I brought it mega bike that has you screaming in your helmet.

• Like Like x 1
  10. PhilB

PhilB Active Member

Oct 31, 2016
    Norfolk
    I attended the Classic Bike Live at the weekend, and the car park was full of Thruxtons!
    Yes I agree they are a very nice bike, but I was surpised I didn't see a single Norton 'rival' ?
    As you said above about it being an 'expensive toy' I did assume myself that maybe Triumph offer some finance thing where they make them very affordable for people, whereas Norton don't? Please correct me if I am wrong.. Generally interested!

11. Wag

Wag Active Member

Jun 19, 2016
    exmouth
    I was heading towards Norton before I bought mine but, I was put off by reviews, price and it didn't look quite right.

12. Wassers

Wassers Active Member

May 27, 2016
    Berkshire
    I like the idea of having a Norton, but I love my Thruxton R.

• Like Like x 1
  13. PhilB

PhilB Active Member

Oct 31, 2016
    Norfolk
    I haven't looked at reviews to be honest, or ridden either, but both beautiful bikes!

14. Jason Sobell

Jason Sobell New Member

Nov 18, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    I owned a 2009 Street Triple R, and traded it in 3 months ago for the Thruxton 1200R.
    I found the handling on the Thruxton to be way better than the 675, which I always overly light on the front end which seemed to result in a lack of real feel on bends.
    But, when I got the Thruxton I thought it was a bit placid and slow, but this is because of the exhaust which is shockingly quiet. When you look at the speedo (and/or turn off the traction control) you realise the thing goes like buggery with almost no effort, which is completely at odds with the 675 that was screaming to get the same sort of acceleration.
    I've now replaced the OEM mufflers with some slash-cuts, and I removed the snorkel in the airbox, and the thing now sounds like a motorbike instead of a sewing machine, and the placebo effect of this is such that you now feel how powerful it is.
    I was loaned my old ST675R for a week while the new bike was serviced, and I was worried that I might decide I preferred it, but when the time came that couldn't have been farther from the truth. I found myself craving for the Thruxton back, and I've had no regrets at all.

[Pictures are here on an advert I stuck on eBay for more of the slash-cuts I made. Not my line of business, but thought I'd share them if anyone else wanted some :)]

• Like Like x 1
  15. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Jason, f**k me those slash-cuts are short. No wonder you can hear the engine working now:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

16. Jason Sobell

Jason Sobell New Member

Nov 18, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well, the thing is that the cat removes 50% of the sound, so these short 'cans' sound similar to race 'slip-ons' on a conventional bike.
    One key thing about the sound of a bike is that when the whine of the gears meshing is as noticeable as the engine sound, it sounds "modern" and far less classic. Can you image an old classic making that noise? The nice thing about removing the OEM muffler is that it masks most of that noise so it's hardly audible, yet for some strange reason it's not particularly loud either. Seriously, take the cans off and listen to it. With these shorties on it's slightly quieter (the 1.5" to 1.75" expansion in those last 6" actually makes a difference), but the result is similar. The recording on the linked page shows how different it sounds to stock.

The OEM mufflers are almost straight through anyway. They are little more than an expansion chamber, and all things like the V&H do is to slightly re-tune the sound, so for me the idea of spending 800 quid on something that looks a little bit nicer and sounds just a little bit nicer seems a bit of a rip-off. The Arrow 3-1 on my ST3 looked awesome, sounded significantly better, and gave another 5-8hp, but the Thruxton options just seem a bit... well... boy-band wannabee?

Still, to each their own. If you like the V&H and have money to burn, awesome! I'd rather burn it on extra fuel for more trips, a nicer helmet, new leather jacket, or all of the above :)

p.s. I like the sig comment!... 1 down, rest up :)

17. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Jason, I've just listened to the video clip and I see what you mean - that's not at all loud, but it is fruity. Very well done.