Trumph sprint rs idling hi in neutral

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Herbos, Dec 29, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
    Hi guys triumph sprint idling hi in neutral.and left indicators flashing fast.could this be earth related?

2. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Can you give us a bit more details about the bike? What year is it, for example? I'm assuming it's the one in your avatar so it will be fuel-injected I think.

3. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
    Yeah mate it's a 2001 model. Fuel injected.done 19000 miles.once it gets warm it's idling high in neutral and in gear the idle lowers.I read sum where on the forums the other day it's a tps problem.

4. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I have the same motor in my Tiger 955i and had an idle problem - sometimes it was high other times it wouldn't idle at all.

There is a device called IACV (Idle air control Valve) which controls idling; this is connected to the throttle bodies using vacuum pipes. This valve can get dirty and sticky causing erratic idle, plus the vacuum pipes can perish losing the vacuum. This could be at the bottom of your idle problem.

screenshot_98.png screenshot_99.png

• Like Like x 2
  5. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
    I m going need a manual mines idling normal when cold then when warm 1500rpm in gear an 1700rpm in neutral.so I 'll start iacv .and pipes I read this sum where as well

6. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
    How hard is the iacv to set back up dude?

7. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    It's not something I've done, so I can't speak from personal experience but I believe it is possible to re-set the idle using a free-to-download program called TuneECU (google search) and an OBD connecting cable (about £15).

With this set-up you can do loads of checks/changes to the way the bike works, including re-mapping the ECU.

8. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    I have an electronic copy of the service manual I could send you, if I had your e-mail address?

9. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
    Yeah cud do biglad [email protected] sum lad on newbies as just said realease my clutch cable a bit.it's bin a while my ninjas hydraulic.but I m sure 3-4 mm play is ample

10. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
    Be1948 is the stepper motor inside the iacv I m blind with out haynes.never had injection before.good old carbs.with a idle screw.

11. thebiglad

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Sorry mate, just tried to send you the manual but my e-mail server says the file is too big and din't allow it to be sent :oops::oops:

PS RE the clutch cable, I think the guy said you need to tighten the cable a bit, to reduce the free play.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Herbos

Herbos Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Stoke on trent
    Can it all be removed and rebuilt with out any adjusting