Trophy4 Project

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by cavsp3, Jan 11, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. cavsp3

cavsp3 Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Highlands
    Hi Guys,

I have recently acquired a 1994 Trophy4 1200 and am still debating what to do with it.

My original thoughts were to covert it into a CRK Roadster using their new kit but am now wondering whether just to de-lard the bike junking the fairing, oblong headlight, those yucky silencers. Nice paint job, seat re-upholstered/re-shaped, SP silencers. I will still use some of the ancillary modules from CRK such as rear hugger, chain guard, rad cover.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

2. cavsp3

cavsp3 Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Highlands

That would be a no then.

3. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    If in doubt, move slowly and let a plan form. Good luck, keep us posted and some pics might help the thought processes. I have thought about it my self. Im sort of leaning towards a Hornet for that classic frame shape

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    Set your own trend using ideas from CRK!!

5. cavsp3

cavsp3 Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Highlands
    Thanks Sprinter....I believe that is what I am going to do, strip all the parts that I don't want off it, plastics, silencers and then nothing too drastic that can't be undone such as chopping off the subframe. I already have 2 later sets of side panels to replace the big slab sides that the early bikes have. I understand that they are all interchangeable!
    I will junk the oil cooler as it won't be needed on the unfaired bike and add some nice SP carbon silencers using Daytona rear brackets for that more upswept look. I already have a brand new set of gold 4-piston callipers and also a mint set of 6 piston Tokicos. Visually the Tokicos will look better but probably not perform any better and they can be difficult to bleed I have heard.
    I have a paint scheme in my head but as you say, no rush with that as it may change as the project progresses. I'd like it to be rideable as the project progresses so even if it takes until next winter to get the paint done I will of had the pleasure of riding it. I'm looking forward to using the torquey engine in the beast.
    I will take pictures and post in this thread as it goes along.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. cavsp3

cavsp3 Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Highlands
    Thanks Tigcraft.....as replied to Sprinter, I will do that. I'd like the similar look but without chopping the frame but some of his modules will work on a std bike too.
    It's such a torquey, powerful engine, stripping the excess bits from the bike, lighter parts as in battery (swap for lithium-ion type), silencers, fairing, oil cooler should make it easier to move around at slow speed too cos it is a huge lump of a bike to manoeuvre.

7. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Unheard of Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    The tank is something I’d buy from CRK as it looks right and probably made well too and can’t be bought anywhere else. The rest are a here and there parts obtainable from anyone

8. cavsp3

cavsp3 Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Highlands
    The tank is very well made, I have a CRK cafe racer and the Roadster tank is slightly larger being 14litres as opposed to 11 litres for the cafe racer but this is the issue that I have with my cafe racer. Now that I have moved to the Scottish Highlands, I really have to be careful about the fuel range as my 11 litres only gives me 70-80 miles. Initially I will be staying with the std tank...I think!!!

9. cavsp3

cavsp3 Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Highlands
    Here's where I'm at right now. Not too much done, just fairing sides removed, oil cooler has gone, later side panels and back light, Daytona exhaust hangers/pillion brackets, pillion grab handles and SP Engineering silencers. I have painted the exhaust headers in metallic graphite VHT paint, cleaned callipers and fitted EBC HH pads. Oil and filter change and general good tidy up and got her on the road.
    She is just what I expected, heavy old beast when slow manoeuvring but handles well enough, just got to push her into bends and pulls like a train.
    Lots more to be done yet but just wanted to get her out on the road for summer months and get some use. The headlamp fairing won't be to everybody's taste (not sure it's to mine really) but the front end is for next winter.

IMG_3641.JPG

IMG_3642.JPG

• Like Like x 4