Trophy Based 900 Cafe Racer

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by matt botterman, Feb 19, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. adethetrade

adethetrade Active Member

Nov 20, 2016
    cannock
    Hi nice to see it finished, I had a problem with my Trophy when turning right but it was the Choke cable not the throttle cable so check that out before ordering a new one. Ade

2. Cafe Hinckley

Cafe Hinckley Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    I seem to recall that TL1000 USD's were a good match and required minimal fettling but i dont think there is anything that will be a direct swap. Definitely will require new yolk.

As always - these things are a lot easier if you have a machine shop at home but for us mere its much harder.

Let me know how you get on - would love to attempt this one day too.

3. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    Hi Matt, big up !! It came out great.

4. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    Nice one, Matt! Very impressive.:cool:

5. bogg

bogg Senior Member

Feb 21, 2016
    west sussex
    Nice one Matt thats looking great,be nice to see it in the flesh

6. matt botterman

matt botterman Active Member

Feb 4, 2016
    sussex
    Thanks all. Im can ride around safe in the knowledge that there isnt another one the same!

• Like Like x 1
  7. MattGaydon

MattGaydon Noble Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Godalming
    Looks really cool good job!

8. Uncorrugated

Uncorrugated Senior Member

May 25, 2017
    Northamptonshire
    Great looking bike and a really good write up of the build.
    Thanks for sharing.

9. Tal

Tal Active Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Milton Keynes
    [​IMG] on what Uncorrugated said.

10. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hi Matt, what an absolutely fantastic result !!!! Love it to bits, the wood effect is just extraordinary.

Makes me think more and more about a Sprint 900 based project.

11. matt botterman

Feb 4, 2016
    sussex
    Cant recommend the kit enough - it really is dead easy! I am eyeing up the new roadster kit as I want to build a sidecar and it could be a good option. However might try something different.

The paint work was done by a good friend and all by hand - hes a talented bloke. He is rebuilding his fireblade and painting a mural of Tadao Baba (the lead engineer for the project) on the underside of seat - I think it will look dreadful but I know it will be done extremely well!

I ride out with a group on Sundays for breakfast and rather than taking the sportsbike I took the cafe yesterday! Whilst It didnt quite keep up with the guys making progress on their 1000cc bikes I had the biggest smile on my face after an hour of laughing my head off laying on the tank. Its incredible as there is barely anything in your field of view in front of you so bend really feel like your flying.

Oh and its proper cafe and very capable of doing the ton!! on a private road of course! Entering it into a show next Sunday!

• Like Like x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Boothy

Boothy Active Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Lancashire

Would endorse the kit and how well it is engineered and put together, looks like it could have rolled out of the Triumph factory, not "homespun" at all real professional finish.

13. Uncorrugated

Uncorrugated Senior Member

May 25, 2017
    Northamptonshire
    Such a shame you are in Sussex - Jacks Hill cafe in Northants had their 'Ton Up' day on Sunday - a day (actually weekend) of cafe racers and more cafe racers. Mostly classics, but with a real good mix of modern off the shelf classics, mostly Triumphs. Yours would have stood out brilliantly.

14. matt botterman

Feb 4, 2016
    sussex
    Would have been good! I went to a local pub show last weekend and got some nice comments - Going to the Sevenoaks show next month as well as the Distinguished Gentlemans ride for a pose!

Think there is a Hastings show soon too.

• Like Like x 1
  15. matt botterman

Feb 4, 2016
    sussex
    To finish the story of this bike I am going to taking it on track next month.
    The bike shed are running their Cafe Racer Cup at Lydden where Dad raced his Ariel which inspired this build.

If I can just shut the thing up a little!!

Matt

• Like Like x 4
  16. Thorcusmodee

Thorcusmodee Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Boston, Lincs
    That fairing is exactly what I want for my build, where did you get it please?

17. matt botterman

Feb 4, 2016
    sussex
    9C4CFD06-C08F-416D-8DB5-E53DD1DB43EC.jpeg
    Yeah that sounds good! Ill give it a clean after the track action. Last weekend 83D7F9B8-CADE-4C2F-90E3-8A7F0A47E9D6.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  18. matt botterman

Feb 4, 2016
    sussex
    I couldnt find a bikini fairing to fit because of the position of the radiator.

However I am currently in the early stages of building a mold to create my own. If it works well I might be able to make more to fit these bikes.

Alternative is to change the radiator for something slimmer which i think will fit the bike better anyway!

19. matt botterman

Feb 4, 2016
    sussex
    I couldnt find a bikini fairing to fit because of the position of the radiator.

However I am currently in the early stages of building a mold to create my own. If it works well I might be able to make more to fit these bikes.

Alternative is to change the radiator for something slimmer which i think will fit the bike better anyway!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Thorcusmodee

Thorcusmodee Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Boston, Lincs
    Thanks for that, I may well be interested in buying one :) I'm going to have a look to see what I can find but haven't found what I want so far.