Trophy Based 900 Cafe Racer

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by matt botterman, Feb 19, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Cafe Hinckley

Cafe Hinckley Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    Hi Matt,

Following your thread closely as i am just about to kick off my own winter project with a Daytona /CRK kit build. Cant wait to see your end result.

Cheers
    Jonathan

2. matt botterman

matt botterman Active Member

Feb 4, 2016
    sussex
    Right little update as I have been away a lot for work - in Israel currently but took a snap before I went away

The bike is running again and I have cured the oil leak that I had found. Gasket wasn't sitting quite right on the clutch cover so got that into position and also added a layer of copper gasket stuff that claims to work upto 350 degrees - should be fine since its only the clutch.

Really pleased as the bike sounds like a beast. The pipes don't do too much to keep it quiet which might need dealing with as the bike will be doing a few laps on track to replicate a picture.

2 Jobs lefts before paint - firstly the body work needs trimming down to ensure a good fit - I need to borrow a dremmel with a cutting disk from work to do this and might look at it this weekend. second I need to cut the front fairing down and make a bracket to hold it on the bike.

Few wires to tidy away too!

After that its paintwork - I'm just finalising my design but the base colour is a light blue- and then roll on the spring

20161029_125943.jpg

Seen a few other bikes being started on here which is fantastic. Perhaps in the summer we can all meet up and go for a blast - perhaps (not sure where everyone lives) we could head to the "factory" on the isle of whight for a blast!

• Like Like x 1
  3. PETER CLARKE

PETER CLARKE Senior Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Hi Matt, Quite a lot of money must have been spent on this project but you have done this in a good timely manner I believe you do need to take your time and have time in between to plan next stage of build so far looks like you have done a great job, well done !! are you going to road test before painting ??

4. matt botterman

Feb 4, 2016
    sussex
    Hi Peter
    No not planning a road test - don't have an MOT or tax anymore! However I road the bike 300 miles back from its old owner before I stripped it so I'm fairly confident it should be happy enough.

I've loved the project and the money spent hasn't been too bad as I've bought bits over the year. I think ill keep adding bits over time as this is a keeper - wire wheels would be nice and you can add USD forks from something like a ZX12. I'm thinking about adding NOS next winter - lots of people are building Cafe Racers so it might look at it if I feel the need to be different! One step at a time though!!

5. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Hello Matt, wow your project bike is really coming on. I am well impressed with how it looks now so the finished version is bound to look very special indeed.

Nice going..................................

6. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Very nice job - well done!

7. Cafe Hinckley

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    Looking great fella - makes me wish i was further along the process!!

Noticed you have gone with the Biltwell grips which i also love. What size did you en d up getting (I have asked Ian but he has not got back to me as yet. They come in 22 and 25mm)

Also what silencers did you end up going for - there seem to be so many generic ones out there its hard to know what you are going to get.

Good luck with the rest of the build mate and keep the pic coming!

8. matt botterman

Feb 4, 2016
    sussex
    The grips look lovely and I couldnt help giggling a little at the name Bitwell Thruster!

They are the the 22mm and are a nice tight fit - I used the original throttle tube but can get it to sit nicely on the very last notch.

The Silencers are just an ebay generics job - I was going to get all chrome but i liked the black to match the frame. I fitted them using both the reducers that came with the kit then wrapped the rest of the exhaust.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...780223?hash=item567d43c2bf:g:NT4AAOSw3ydVg9np

plenty of time to get yours done. spring is a long way off

9. matt botterman

Feb 4, 2016
    sussex
    So over the Christmas break I too managed a little time in the garage.

First job was to cut down the seat so that it fitted flushly against the frame. Borrowed a mates dremmel for this with a tiny cutting disk and it was ideal. Then a little sand paper and the job was done!
    I then fitted the seat pads and strapped it to the bike along with the tank.

20161226_132140.jpg

The result is that I have now finished the kit and I'm ready to get the parts painted.

20161226_132148.jpg

A few cables needed tidying and routing suitably which I did too.

I'm really pleased with the bike - its a great shape. I took my time building it but actually I wish I'd spent longer - Tiny imperfections that I notice here and there that annoy me! Maybe next winter!

I did intend to get a bikini fairing for the bike but the one I bought doesn't fit well. Its too narrow as it needs to go round the radiator to get the lines right. Even cutting bits away with the dremmel wasn't enough! Heyho maybe one day I will build one from scratch to suit.

I have sketched a few things for the paint work. I'm building the bike as a replica/tribute to my father who died from Cancer when I was 18. His first (of 3) mid-life crisis's was racing an old Ariel Leader 250. The bike blew up roughly ever other meeting and needed rebuilds. I spend much time with Dad in the garage watching him rebuild whilst cursing and getting covered in oil. His bike was light blue.

Tank.jpg

This bike will be a similar colour and will also carry the same race number, 256.

20170104_094212.png

I also intend to book onto a couple of track days and replicate some old pictures I have of dad racing. He would have loved it.

Cant wait for paint now. Its very much my bike now and I cant ever see me getting rid!

• Like Like x 1
  10. matt botterman

Feb 4, 2016
    sussex
    Yeah that's very doable - I'm only in Crowborough so a nice jaunt along the A272!!

11. matt botterman

Feb 4, 2016
    sussex
    Right time to add some colour

I have a very talented friend who own a body shop and is kindly doing the bike for me. He also builds his own cafe racers (without the use of kits!) and does airbrush art which will be used on the bike

20170305_145730.jpg

This is the base colour! The design will now be applied and will be painted to have a wood effect with graining and a 3d effect.

IMG_20170305_155823_560.jpg

Getting the rough idea of the numbers on the back

IMG-20170305-WA0002.jpg

Getting closer now and I'm V excited. Ive also snaffled the V5 for an old bike that the guy paining stripped for parts for one of his builds. It has the registration starting BOT which fits my surname Botterman. It will be moved over to the bike once its MOT'd.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Boothy

Boothy Active Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Lancashire
    Looking good, be great to see the finished article, the paint work does make it all come together, mines at paint shop at moment, going to be a month though before done !!

13. Boothy

Boothy Active Member

Sep 9, 2016
    Lancashire
    Hi hows the bike coming along ?

14. matt botterman

Feb 4, 2016
    sussex
    Still in paint - Its being done by a mate and he has a lot on - however he sent he some pics yesterday and i think it could well be complete by the end of the month - there is only the rear brake to bleed (needed some fresh crush washers) and then its MOT time!!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    Hi Matt, truly stunning. Your dad would have been extremely proud !

16. matt botterman

Feb 4, 2016
    sussex
    Cheers - Appreciate it - its been a nice project

Was the first stages of the paint this week and cant wait for it to be done - seems to have really slowed down.

17. matt botterman

Feb 4, 2016
    sussex
    Saw the painter last night - will be done within a fortnight!! Should be on the road in June!!

18. matt botterman

Feb 4, 2016
    sussex
    First bits of paintwork have come back

Front mudguard and seat unit.

20170507_165046.jpg

IMG_20170502_223643_637.jpg

Everything has been airbrushed on with the intention for it to look like wood.

Ive fitted the mudguard and it looks good against the front wheel colour

Tank is very nearly there and likely to be done for the weekend. Ive therefore put Sunday aside and hope for some finished bike shots for next week!

• Like Like x 7
  19. matt botterman

Feb 4, 2016
    sussex
    Right well here we go.

Got the tank back all painted. Looks really cool with the wood effect against the blue

20170511_193741.jpg

Fitted everything up and pushed the bike out into the light

finish.jpg

IMG_20170515_124613_999.jpg

Really pleased with it.

Runs fine but appears i need a new throttle cable as it revs when turning right. I've got a new one that Ill stick in. Also front brake isnt as good as it felt - needs a bleed before MOT then roll on the summer!

• Like Like x 7
  20. Cafe Hinckley

Nov 2, 2016
    Reading
    Congrats Matt - it looks great and love the colour. You guys seem to have hit the timing perfectly but I am still hoping i may be able to get mine ready for one ride before the summer is out.