Trophy Based 900 Cafe Racer

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by matt botterman, Feb 19, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. matt botterman

matt botterman Active Member

Feb 4, 2016
    sussex
    So wanted to join in the fashion I have begun to build a Cafe

Ill start out by saying I am not the most mechanically competent and this is my first project of any descript. However I wanted to build something that was nice looking, but reliable and large enough to fits me (im 6,4).
    A British bike was also on the must list.
    I therefore began searching the web and found Cafe Racer Kits and their offering for the 900 triumph. Whilst its not a twin shock like some cafes its still a nice looking thing. I would want to add a little bikini fairing as I like that look but otherwise all is good.

This is a terrible paint version of the intended end product

Triumph - Finish.jpg
    I therefore ordered the kit in December and set about looking for a base bike.

• Like Like x 2
  2. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Hi Matt, very interesting project (as I have a 900 Trident).
    The CRK kit certainly looks the part and there won't be too many about I suspect! TR-02VS.jpeg

• Like Like x 9
  3. matt botterman

Feb 4, 2016
    sussex
    I found on gumtree a nice looking Trophy 900. 30k on the clock, a few little scrapes but recently serviced and MOT'd, new tyres, a new dual Quill exhaust and freshly reconditioned brakes. A good base!

I never took a picture of it but it basically the same as this stock image. trophy.jpg

I got my instructions and a haynes manual from Cafe Racers and set about stripping the bike down.

First job fairings and tank off
    IMAG0008.jpg

All fine so far - Discovered the bike had a scottoiler that I hadnt spotted previously - If anyone wants one let me know!

Next up remove the airbox, carbs all the electrics and plastics at the back
    IMAG0021.jpg

And then the scary part - Cut off the subframe!!

IMAG0036.jpg

From here it would be possible to build up with the Kit parts however these havnt arrived and other parts of the bike look a little shabbier than I want them to on a bike that essentially needs to look nice!
    Therefore, wheels off - they both need blasting and powder coating
    engine covers off - they need the same treatment and I drained the oil whilst I was at it (spilling some!!)
    Exhaust off - Ill get onto that with some autosol - managed to remove 5 out of the 6 studs and only snapped one! - I have lots of the stud sticking out so hopefully a blow torch some mole grips and lots of cursing will get that out!
    Radiator off

IMAG0050.jpg
    looks a bit sorry for itself now!!

Sprockets were in bad shape so off with those. Gold chain and new sprockets to follow. The front sprocket really had seen better days!
    IMAG0076.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  4. matt botterman

Feb 4, 2016
    sussex
    Next up is to remove the swing arm so that can be blasted and painted too - however its a right old bastard to get out! Its the next job on the list but im off skiing tomorrow so it will have to wait! Anyone whos had one off previously and got any advice please do tell!

Ive got a bar down the spindle but i cant get the thing to move.

Ill get that coated and looking nice - get the rear shock looking the part (or watch ebay for a cheap maxton or similar) then I can rebuild the rear end wheels and engine - The wife presented me with a pro-bolt engine kit for valentines so that will go on too! Its the race kit so ill be lock wiring them as I like the look!

Future plans are wire wheels - ive found some but at £1200 i might have to wait! Alternatively ill be investigating how tough it would be to swap the front end for some USD forks - does anything stock fit? Would be lovely to just buy a set of forks wheels and brakes from a crashed 600 supersports bike!

5. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    wow, great project and a stunner when it all comes together

• Like Like x 1
  6. Recycled Rocker

Recycled Rocker Senior Member

Apr 19, 2014
    North Yorkshire Cave
    Yo Matt, great to see real café racers being born:D

7. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    This is a fantastic project and I can't wait to see what comes next & how it turns out.

Well done Matt. ;):D:D

8. PETER CLARKE

PETER CLARKE Senior Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    I hope you numbered all the parts to reassemble it later:eek: or there is going to be a lot of scratching head moments:oops:

9. matt botterman

Feb 4, 2016
    sussex
    yep every single electric connector has a piece of masking tape round it with a description on what plug in where.

• Like Like x 2
  10. stevethegoolie

stevethegoolie Elite Member

Oct 16, 2014
    East Riding of Yorkshire
    I made the mistake of not doing that with my Benelli 900 Sei a few years ago which then cost me far too many of my £s to sort out!:oops::(:confused::mad:

11. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    These projects always end up a bottomless pit of money also not then finding the time you had hoped to put into it but you have certainly made a good start and hope all goes well cannot wait to see the end result so stop spending time on here and crack on with it:), I just love cafe racers.:cool:

12. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    GOOD MAN

13. FiftyCal

FiftyCal Member

Feb 21, 2016
    Birmingham, England
    I'm at the same stage with my 1200 bobber project, it's my first Triumph chop. Donor bike is a '92 T300. Good luck with yours.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Pan

Pan Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2015
    Liverpool
    I'll be watching this with interest, keep up the good work.

Mark

15. matt botterman

Feb 4, 2016
    sussex
    Quick update - Not had a huge amount of time as I have been away with work but spent a few hours yesterday with the bike. Jobs were to strip down the wheels ready for blasting - the disks were determined to stay on the wheel to the point of bending allen keys. All off now!

I then spent some time degreasing and generally cleaning some parts up. The sprocket cover was hiding some fairly thick sludge. I assume the scottoiler was a little too excitable and has lubed the chain too much leading to the thick sludge. Anyway but of digging and some degreaser and dealt with the worst of it!

Hopefully get some more time next weekend to kick this on a bit!

16. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Hi Matt you will always get this type of build up in sprocket cover just needs to put down to looking at from time to time to monitor it or it ends up a grinding paste for your new sprocket, its good to have a update, hope it will be well on the way for use in summer for you.

17. matt botterman

Feb 4, 2016
    sussex
    So this weekend I had another morning playing with project.

I managed to remove the snapped and rusted exhaust stud without damaging anything else. Whilst I was down there close up the front of the engine has flaking paint work. Whilst I know it will be hidden behind pipes and rad it bothers me so might have the engine out of the frame and get that sorted (yep project grows ever larger!)

Then finally got the swinging arm out. Just needed to be brave and use a larger hammer!

20160319_105344.jpg
    The swingarm doesnt look too nice but will take everything apart and get it coated and looking right! Im also fairly set on buying a new shock now. A Hagon unit looks like the way forward. however I have seen a few cheap shocks from things like the 675. Does anyone know if they will fit without too much messing? A clean used one seems to be less that 100 quid which is a bargain! If im doing the rear from Hagon I might do full hog and strip the front forks and put in progressive springs (yes project budget is creaping up! its only money right!)

20160320_143109.jpg

I then removed the loom to get it out of the way!

I also stripped the wheels of their bearings. Will get a local place to remove the tyres and then these can be blasted and painted.

finally gave the Headers a quick degrease - might wrap them - not sure yet! I believe they are titanium and they are in good shape if a little discoloured. Not sure yet - maybe paint them matt black to match the frame!

20160320_143144.jpg

Still lots to do especially if I do drop the engine out for a full clean up - But the kit arrives soon - just been emailed saying its ready - the temptation will be to rush to get something on the road but I must remain strong and make sure the end product gets the right treatment and is the stunner I'm aiming for!

• Like Like x 6
  18. PETER CLARKE

Nov 11, 2015
    Essex
    Hi Matt what colour are you going for and are you thinking of colour co-ordinating frame and wheels its really good to see this coming together.

19. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Fair play to you, yes, take your time if you want the best, it will be worth the extra wait.
    It is good seeing the work you are putting in. I am not into all that tbh,love seeing other peoples work but my bike is a bit ratty compared to most.I do appreciate a nice bike tho and look forward to the following installments

20. matt botterman

Feb 4, 2016
    sussex
    Frame and swinger will be black. Engine is silver so will contrast nicely and the new subframe is black so makes it simple.

Be black