Triumph Wins Gold

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Marks, Apr 28, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Marks

Marks New Member

Apr 15, 2022
    Campbelltown, SA, 5074
    My recently purchased America is a joy to ride but Triumph has won the gold (by a country mile ) for the stupidest place to put an ignition key. Who was the retard that passed this in the design stage ? Clutch held in while in first gear so it does'nt roll away and now to turn off the ignition key. WTF??? Yes I know you could use the EMERGENCY kill switch but see how long you can do that before you get an electrical problem. Has anyone out there had the key fall out while on a ride? Do I need to rig something up to avoid this problem? Am I the only person who thinks this is a worry?

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. RJinTX

RJinTX Member

Nov 27, 2021
    Giant side of Texas
    Never lost a key, except when the "dam-its" hide them in the freezer.

It this a for sure issue?

3. ChessNibbler

ChessNibbler Member

May 29, 2022
    Orange County, NY
    @RJinTX "the dam-its"....hysterical. As a father...geee...I can't imagine what you're talking about. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    I moved my key/ignition switch within weeks of ownership... ! IMG_20220605_201758_272.JPG
    Centre of the bars, visible just to left of the fuel tank chrome trim .. !
    Cut the cable and put extension wire's in , don't solder/join the wires to the harness junction/plug !! As the wiring must be routed along the frame under the fuel tank. The plug won't fit between the air filter and frame , to get under the rider's seat area ! This is where the ignition switch wiring plugs into the rest of the bike harness ! Join the wires (solder) and then plug it in.
    Been like this 130,00 km / 14 yrs no problemo...

5. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    I don't know the model so can't really comment on the key location but why should repeated use of the kill switch cause potential electrical issues although, when I picked up the new Scrambler, the sales guy did advise to switch off with the key and not use the kill switch. Is this a Triumph thing? I've used the kill button countless times on previous bikes without problems.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. ChessNibbler

ChessNibbler Member

May 29, 2022
    Orange County, NY
    The owner's manual for my T120 says the same thing. Don't use kill switch except in emergency. Don't know why but would love to find out.
    @Pegscraper
    Heh heh... aren't they called "lean angle adjustment knobs" and not pegs??

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    That's probably a better description but "knobscraper" didn't sound as street cred!:p

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. SpeedTwin1200

SpeedTwin1200 Senior Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    It's a myth I reckon. And not just a Triumph thing. The kill switch, the ignition switch, the clutch switch and the sidestand switch are all switches that are used to start and stop the engine and which will one day wear out. So why would the kill switch cause electrical problems? My Triumph manuals says the reason not to turn off the engine with the kill switch is you might flatten the battery if you are dumb enough to leave the ignition on and walk away without the key. My KTM manual has the same dumb-dumb warning.

Emergency kill switches are big and red and called emergency so that a non-biking bystander coming across a bike on its side with the engine running, might just be able to figure out that a big red switch will stop the engine. (The key might be under the bike.)

I use the sidestand and the kill switch more often than the ignition switch. And I can remember to turn the ignition off and take the key out. Even on my keyless KTM, I can remember to turn the ignition off.

The only problem I've ever had is with the ignition key, 30 years ago when I took my test. My bike wouldn't start and I was getting very hot and bothered using the kickstart in full gear in the summer heat. I was nervous and I just forgot, I'd been so used to riding off road bikes without keys. Once I'd realised my school boy error, I made sure the examiner wasn't looking as I turned the key on and started the engine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    On my old Z1300 the kill switch didn't actually disable the starter so you could crank the engine over and sit there swearing and wondering why the dam thing wouldn't fire! Mind you I only did it once!:joy:

• Funny Funny x 2