Welcome to The Triumph Forum

The World's busiest Triumph Forum. Join this amazing group of people and start discussing the thing that we all love, Triumph Motorcycles.

Triumph Warranties And Main Dealer Servicing

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by steve172, Jan 7, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick
    Subscriber

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    My impression is that bike dealers are staffed in the main by people who know and are interested in bikes.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Put on your big boy pants and man up
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    I agree. In car dealerships it seems more about appearance than knowledge. On a side note, if any salesman walks up to me wearing pointy shoes I swerve them and find someone else :p:p

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Eldon

Eldon Senior Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Funny comment, my partner also says similar about brown shoes. She says sly dodgy slimy people wear brown shoes and who am I to argue : unamused:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    About 500 to 550 I reckon

5. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick
    Subscriber

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    #45 Rich Bryce, Jan 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    About right I'd say. We're £525 in Woburn, which is bottom end of Triumph dealers I believe. £495 Winter rate until end February.

Mind you, we've had someone phone us for a 12k quote having been quoted well over £700 further South.

6. Eldon

Eldon Senior Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    #46 Eldon, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    20181214_095230.jpg

Try a look at Ducatis, now some of those figures are eye openers.

Panigale ......
    10.30 Factory hours plus problems, stripped seized bolts etc. X £70/hr or so plus parts = £1000 plus I'd say, YIKES!

7. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    I've given up using my local Triumph main dealer for service and repair work. It's almost impossible to discuss issues or problems with a technician. Work they say they have done isn't, they don't return calls.
    To be honest its put my wife and I off ever buying another Triumph from these guys and we have bought 4 new bikes from them in the last 8 years.

Took the wife's Street Triple to a local Yamaha dealer for servicing

• Like Like x 1
  8. curly

curly Senior Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Hi Richard,
    just viewed your video, interesting.
    I am going to be using a non dealer independent workshop, as identified in your east midlands service recommendations post.
    I am, like you tired of the main dealer scene.
    My Bonneville is out of warranty and has had its first MOT, so the choices are all mine to make, particularly so since I will be keeping hold of the bike for at least another 7 years or so.
    A few years ago I had a VFR800 and took advantage of a winter service offer by the dealer you have been careful not to name.
    In fact my brother was involved and his VTR 1000 was collected by the dealer at the same time as mine and taken away for service.
    When the bikes were returned to us it was pointed out that they had been taken to a non Honda branch of their then network for the service work.
    Although surprised by this we were happy enough with what had been done, filters marked pre service etc, so we knew things had been changed and so on.
    About 3 weeks later we went for a ride out to Skegness, sitting on the sea front eating the customary fish and chips I happened to notice that the plastic cap that covered the rear axle was missing.
    I knew full well that it had been present pre service, so we called in to the dealer on the way home and I pointed out that the cap was missing following service.
    The service desk person went out of sight for a few minutes and returned having spoken to the technician who clearly remembered re-fitting the cap!!!!!!!!
    Of course they did.
    I left having paid almost £10 for a new replacement.
    A trifle I know, but no more work their way from us.
    Excellent video by the way!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012

10. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Yep was in two minds to use that independent guy in Burton, just went with Arnold's because of good experience with my WR250 and my MT10 that needed a few repairs after a little incident. Both times I'm able to chat to the tech doing the work.
    I'm also a little sad how the Triumph dealer in question has developed, yes its big, flash, got a cafe but we got better service when it was in the small building across the road.
    Please let me know how you get on with your service. Cheers.

11. curly

curly Senior Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Will do

12. Yanto

Yanto New Member

Mar 15, 2019
    Wales
    Hi, new here and researching the service costs of a Tiger 1200 as interested in buying. However, i am seeing some eye watering costs for major services which are at 12k I believe? Figures of £700!! Is this the reality of Triumph ownership? I note the comments on independent service but if i buy a bike in warrenty this is not an option. Thanks in advance

13. Dozers Dad

Dozers Dad Bushmills Chief Quality Controller
    Subscriber

Yes it is Yanto. Any VAT reg'd garage can carry out your servicing if they use genuine Triumph parts.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Eldon

Eldon Senior Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Yanto it is as DD stated.
    Some Ducati services are much more than £700 as I've posted elsewhere on this forum so it's not just Triumph. I would have expected most main brands to be quite expensive plus the warranty doesn't last forever. Please yourself then :p
    It pays to shop around.

15. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I would agree when worn with a blue or grey suit but not with mustard corduroys. In that event, the offence has been committed by the corduroys!

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Servicing costs are down to a myriad of things from the Factory specifying minimum standards to hold the franchise, heating & lighting costs on large spaces , wages, business rates, VAT @20% etc., etc.

The things to focus on are:

The actual expertise for which you are paying

And

The quality of the materials used.

Everything else is equal under warranty law so you pays your money....

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    #57 Wessa, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Lot's of negative comments regarding main dealer servicing on this thread. I wonder how many forum members have positive experiences from their main dealers; just a thought?

I think if you are experienced and capable to complete your own servicing it will seem like the dealers are ripping you off. You are all very skilled and I take my hat off to you all.
    If you don't have the capability and you feel that you want to use a local shop to complete your servicing, if it fits your budget then that is also ok.
    And lastly if you have had good customer service and servicing from your main dealer, then that is ok as well.

We are all different and will have storys to tell. At the end of the day you have to do what works for you and if it fits with your budget that is also ok..
    Wessa

• Like Like x 1
  18. Baben

Baben Active Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Watton
    I am dyspraxic so have to have my servicing done professionally. That said, my local dealer charged £700 for a 12,000 mile service on my Tiger Sport while another about 40 miles away quoted £495. Wasn't possible to get to the cheap one unfortunately as wife was poorly.

19. speeder

speeder Senior Member

Jan 3, 2019
    dorset
    I'm surprised more people don't have a go at servicing their bikes themselves: The costs of purchasing a basic tool kit will soon repay itself and there is no magic in doing this, even the 12000 valve check is easy if you work methodically.
    And when you come to sell the bike a fully stamped up service book does not enhance the value by much really.
    I would rather buy a bike that has been looked after by a knowledgeable amateur rather than a dealer maintained machine.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Put on your big boy pants and man up
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    And therein lies the issue buddy. I only have to look at a spanner to get a rash ;);) I have a mate who runs a bike workshop in Tamworth and he reckons at least 50% of his work involves rectifying knowledgeable amateur work to their bikes :p:p great for him, expensive for them :joy::joy:

• Funny Funny x 1