Triumph Thunderbird 900 Starting Issue

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Hick4479, Aug 24, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hick4479

Hick4479 New Member

Aug 9, 2020
    Mansfield, TX, USA
    Hi, I’ve been doing some reading on the different starter issues but can’t seem to find what matches. I bought a none running thunderbird and starting to get it running. I was trying to check compression and ran into a weird occurrence. I put a large charger on the battery while turning over to make sure I had good power to start. When turning over starter would not engage until several rotations and battery was drawn down. The. Would turn over a couple times and then voltage would be to low to turn over. I am very confused. Based on what I had read if it was the spray clutch it would not engage at all, and just the fact that it would not engage starter until voltage Lowered doesn’t make sense. Please help

2. Thripster

Thripster Elite Member

Feb 21, 2020
    Northampton, UK
    Welcome Hick. Try a new battery for starters.......or at least get it tested. Good luck

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    ‘ I put a large charger on the battery while turning over ’

Not sure what you mean..... a battery charger? They put out so few amps they would never turn over a motor. Their job is to fill a battery slowly. If you did not have a well charged battery to begin with there is nothing weird happening!

4. Hick4479

Hick4479 New Member

Aug 9, 2020
    Mansfield, TX, USA
    I first put a tender on for the past 2 weeks to try and top off the battery but I used a battery 40 amp charger/ booster that we use to just trucks and tractors all the time. I can try a new battery. According to our booster, the battery tested good though. So the starter Spinning but not engaging until the voltage had Dropped is normal with a bad battery?