Triumph Tacho For 02 America

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by Aussieamerica, Aug 4, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Aussieamerica

Aussieamerica Well-Known Member

May 12, 2016
    East coast Australia
    I have a brand new tacho for my 02 Triumph America it came with all the associated plugs/wiring, for those that aren't aware the factory wiring loom does not have the simple plug in option that was on the 03 onward models. I've tried to fit this tacho up with the "extra" Triumph lead that I was sent to pick up the pulse signal. Long story short I've spent too much time on this and out without success so I'm now thinking I could wire it in myself i.e. splice and solder into the loom myself like an aftermarket tacho.

Have searched the net but haven't been able to find out what the three wires (red, brown and red/green) to the tacho are, there is a brown wire to the light as well so I was thinking earth, red for power leaving the red/green wire for the pulse signal from the negative side of the coil (does this sound right?)

Anyone else done this or wired in an aftermarket tacho? Any advice most welcome as electrics aren't my strong point.

MEMO0009.JPG

MEMO0006.JPG

MEMO0007.JPG

2. GaryM

GaryM It's him, you know who. Him from you know ....

Apr 28, 2016
    Patna , Ayrshire
  3. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    yeah MrO will help you with some good advice!

4. Aussieamerica

May 12, 2016
    East coast Australia
    Hope so, just want to get it sorted and on the bike.

5. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Unfortunately he never got it working, but it was Chinese

6. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    I also found this .......

Attached Files:

8. Aussieamerica

May 12, 2016
    East coast Australia
  9. Aussieamerica

May 12, 2016
    East coast Australia
    Got the same instructions and with the early America's like mine there isn't just a "spare"plug to plug into on my loom which is why I want to approach it as if I'm fitting an aftermarket tacho.

10. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    But those instructions detail a separate loom to add to bikes like yours Items 5,6 & 7 to provide the plug for the tacho by removing an existing part ?

11. Aussieamerica

May 12, 2016
    East coast Australia
    5 is the loom that replaces the lightplugs and supposed to power the 12 volts to the tacho, I have this and plugged it in and it doesn't power anything the tacho has a little light to light up the tacho, nothing even the neutral,indicator,high beam and oil light don't work. No 6 is the extra cable to pick up the pulse signal and No 7 is just a cable tie mate. Believe me have checked with a test light and multimeter with the new loom No 5 plugged in I get nothing...............I'm in Australia and had to wait for the tacho to come from England so it's not a case of just taking it back, that's why I want to wire it in as an accessory tacho.

12. Aussieamerica

May 12, 2016
    East coast Australia
    5 is the loom that replaces the lightplugs and supposed to power the 12 volts to the tacho, I have this and plugged it in and it doesn't power anything the tacho has a little light to light up the tacho, nothing even the neutral,indicator,high beam and oil light don't work. No 6 is the extra cable to pick up the pulse signal and No 7 is just a cable tie mate. Believe me have checked with a test light and multimeter with the new loom No 5 plugged in I get nothing...............I'm in Australia and had to wait for the tacho to come from England so it's not a case of just taking it back, that's why I want to wire it in as an accessory tacho.

13. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    So when you remove the existing loom are there more wires being disconnected / removed than you are refitting with the new loom, as to me it sounds like you have lost either the main power or earth / chassis connection.

What is the difference in the two looms apart from the tacho plug ?